Actually, Bob, a true "point and shoot" camera is a fixed focus lens - one size fits all. Nothing wrong with one, I have one that I often carry as a spare in bad weather since it is also waterproof. What you have suggested is what I have seen referred to as a compact autofocus. I also have one of these that I carry, and the product is far better than one would imagine.

Look for one with a decent zoom range (probably 35 to 120 or so) and you will also find numerous other features. Should be able to find a nice one in the $100 to $200 price range. Susan has one by Fuji that I really like - when you load the film it unrolls the entire roll and shoots from the last frame to the first. (If the camera back is ever accidentally opened the pictures you have already taken are safely stored in the film canister and should not be ruined.) The thing to get used to is that your pics will all be "backwards" in that the last or highest numbered frame is actually the first.

From a personal preference, I would stick with 35mm instead of APS simply due to the cost differential in purchasing and processing film. One advantage of APS is that many APS cameras allow you to trade out rolls of film mid-roll, then return the original roll and pick up where you left off.

I do agree with Bob that photography does not have to be an expensive hobby unless you become really sucked in (like Gary). As you become more comfortable you can upgrade equipment and either keep the old camera as a back-up, or give it to a child to use.

Dave