Hank... I don't know what your price range is. But you can get a good digital camera with 3-5 megapixels of resolution from about $350 - $500.

I did some research before deciding on the Nikon 995 just before the reunion. It has both an AUTO and MANUAL setting so you can use it like a point and shoot or you can have LOTS of manual features.

I think the price just dropped to $499. Most everyone sells them for this 'street' price. I'd be suspicious of someone selling them for much less.

Some cameras have TTL viewing and 10-1 continuous zoom. These will probably cost more. But the saving in not having to buy an accessory telephoto lens will make up the difference.

Generally these 10-1 zoom cameras are going to be bigger in size - comparable or larger than a 35mm camera with zoom lens.

The 995 is pretty compact and can fit in one of those 'extra pockets' in your camera bag.

Sony has several models now that store images on 3" compact disks. The high end ones have through the lens viewing as well as the LCD screen.

There are HUNDREDS of choices.