Fran,

Perhaps the question to be asked is "how much camera do you want or need?". The D-70 is a great camera and takes excellent pictures. Tons and tons of features and allows for interchangeable lenses.

Bert also makes a good point about the availability of compact digital cameras that pack incredible amounts of features into a small package. The Kodaks are great, especially if you want the convenience of the docking station.

In addition to a D-70 I also have a Panasonic Lumix FZ1 which features a 12x optical zoom and built in image stabilization. It has been superseeded a couple times by newer cameras with more megapixels and features. Cost is also half the cost of a D-70.

If you look at compact digitals, ignore the digital zoom any advertise - it is not very effective. You want optical zoom, and as much as you can get for shooting lighthouses a ways down the road (or across the water).

Folks here in the Forums use cameras of many different types. Many, I am sure, have brand loyalty to what they have experience with. As you use a digital camera you will develop likes and dislikes, you will see other's cameras that have features you want (or they will want features your camera has). I had an Olympus C-700 that was a great camera right up until it croaked. I would have purchased another Olympus, but their new versions were still not here and I wanted a camera now, so I ended up with the Panasonic which I have been very happy with (and still do use at times even though I also have a great D-70).