My hat is off to the folks in the Port Washington Historical Society

After I split away from the Wacko caravan in Milwaukee, my plan was to run down to Wind Point to photograph which I did, with the intent of saying goodbye to everyone when they got there. It was hazy enough in Milwaukee that I wouldn't be able to get decent photos of the harbor light hence my change in personal plan. Well, I photographed at Wind Point and hung out until a little after 3 PM waiting for the wacko contingent to arrive. Either they had a change in plan or we just missed each other. In any event, I'm sorry not to have had the chance to say goodbye to everyone Friday afternoon.

At any rate, after I left Wind Point, I drove up to Port Washington to see the restoration of the old lighthouse and the pierhead light. My hat is truly off to the folks in the Port Washington Historical Society for the tremendous job they've done in restoring the old lighthouse, which now has a beautiful lantern room! The series of pics that follow will give those who didn't make it to Port Washington a preview of what awaits you when you do get a chance to visit the old lighthouse.

That a small community like Port Washington can take pride in their heritage, as demonstrated by the beautiful resotration of the old lighthouse makes one wonder what's wrong with Milwaukee??? Why, given that the North Point lighthouse sits directly across the street from what are obviously very affluent folk, hasn't anything been done to preserve that landmark of our maritime heritage?

Sadly, as noted by Ken and Barb Wardius in their book on the Wisconsin Lighthouses, the North Point light is in disrepair. The portholes are weeping "rusty tears" as they put it. The keeper's residence is boarded up and the lawn full of weeds. Hopefully, something will be done to preserve the North Point lighthouse before it is lost through neglect.

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 06-30-2002).]