Jim, I don't think that mine was affected all that much by the sunlight, if at all. The colors are all bright and uniform, without "shadows". My piece is also a light brown color, approximately PMS464U or PMS465U, but closer to the PMS464U. This is a little less orange than John's piece (PMS471U per John).

John, I'd be *really* hard-pressed to describe PMS471U as you did: "a bit greenish, but 'bricky'." Are you sure you got the right number? I see nothing greenish about this swatch. Maybe one of us is red-green colorblind. Very common in males, you know.

The sidewalks on my piece are very close to the color that John reports for his tower, about a PMS472U.

I have two copies of the 1998 catalog. They came from different stores about 1,000 miles away from one another and were picked up about 6 months apart. Both show Currituck to be a significantly darker brown than my piece, with a bit of a rosey hue to it (about a PMS505U or PMS506U.) It is very difficult to get a reasonable fix on the color of a 3D object rendered in 2D, especially when not uniformly lighted for the photo, but the catalog piece is clearly darker than both what John describes and what my own piece is. It surely defies being described as olive green. I am still very curious: Does anyone own a Currituck that looks like the one in the catalog?

I retract my earlier statement about my piece looking like the one on e-Bay. Holding up my piece to the image from e-Bay on my monitor, mine is more red and darker than that piece, from what I can tell on my monitor (which isn't much, for all the reasons already outlined by John above and me here.)

I have not been to Currituck Beach personally, but I have compared my piece to several images in books and on the 'net. The color of the real thing is closer to my piece than to what is shown in the catalog. This makes sense to me. Having lived for 5 years in the piedmont area of NC, I am quite familiar with the "cinnamon" colored clay that abounds in that area. The builders of the light would probably have had to import the bricks from a long way away to build a dark tower like the one in the catalog.

Colorblind maybe, but no PMS,
-Art [Proud to be the home of a "Y" chromosome]

-Art