Thanks to everyone for the nice comments about my pictures (made with my idiot-proof point and shoot camera). Seeing the wonderful quality of the photos that others post, I was a little self-conscious about posting them so I'm glad you enjoyed them. I especially liked the picture of Diamond Head from above too. When I hiked up Diamond Head Crater, I knew I was going to get a fantastic view of Honolulu and Waikiki, but I had no idea I would get such a nice picture of the lighthouse.

Thanks to Sue for the link of Barber's Point with its head still intact. It is a beautiful tower but it is very sad to see it without the latern room. There is its twin, Kauhola Point, on Hawaii that looks about the same and also has its lantern room gone. I saw pictures of it (and it was featured in the Legendary Lighthouse 2 series), but I decided the road was too bad to venture out to it. I feel like I pushed my luck enough with going to Cape Kumukahi.

To answer your question Derith, I would say that temperature experience around the lava flow is like sitting next a roaring fire in the winter. You feel alot of heat as you get close to the the areas where the lava is flowing. It moves like molasses so you can get pretty close to it( a couple feet away). When you start to feel too hot you just go a few steps backward and it becomes more comfortable. Then you see an interesting flow start to develop, you move up closer to see it better and then you step back again when you become hot. The park service recommended taking about 2 quarts of water with you per person...so we did. We each went through one quart and we stayed there for at least an hour.

Tammy, the surprise I was treated to when I hiked down to the beach below the Diamond Head light was a couple nude male sunbathers. The sky was overcast so I suspect there could be alot more there on nicer days. At first I was a little apprehensive about venturing forward along the beach to get pictures, but I decided that if they didn't feel uncomfortable, why should I? As I passed them, I looked them in the eye, smiled and said "good afternoon...beautiful lighthouse, isn't it?" They nodded and smiled back and that was it.

Thanks again for the nice comments. I did have a wonderful trip! I guess with this post, I am now officially SUPER-Wacko

John

Doc John