Quote:
Achieving such a goal is great but if HL's were to reward those that finacially can accomplish it might cause resentment among those that would like to but financially cannot afford a complete collection.
Honestly, folks, I can't see where the resentment part comes in. We're not talking an Honorary Doctorate Degree here. The prizes aren't going to be a new Harley Davidson or Corvette Convertible. It could be as simple as a framed certificate of accomplishment.

A perfect example of a simple thing recognizing certain collectors was with the HL519, the Point Fermin CA Mini Charter piece released in 5/99. You guys remember that one. It recognized the people who had been with the Collectors Society since the begining. Nice touch, I thought. The rest of us were offered HL528, the Point Fermin CA Mini. I didn't hear anyone complain about not having access to the Charter piece.

Perhaps I should clarify where I'm headed with this. Has anyone figured it out yet? What's that you say? I have a complete collection of LE's, AB's, Lenses, ornies, but not GLOW's, and I would like to be recognized?

If you guessed that, your close but not right on the money. What I want to see, before it's too late, is a recognition of all those folks who either bought every piece from the beginning, or made the effort to backfill all their missing pieces in their collection. Pardon the expression, they are a dying breed. They were the faithful who supported Harbour Lights through thick and thin. Now they've come to a point in their life that they just can't do it anymore. Some no longer have the space to continue to add to their collection. Some have health problems and can't handle the work involved with displaying, storing, and caring for their HL's. Some have gone to a fixed income that doesn't allow any expendible cash.

These are the people who are reluctantly dropping their autoship. These people were the original purchasers of those low flag#'s and other rare pieces that have been popping up on eBay. They were the pioneer collectors of Harbour Lights and now they are singing, "Happy Trails".

The older pioneers are being replaced with younger collectors (no pun intended). The younger generation are becoming the new keepers of the flame. Will they ever be able to accomplish what the older pioneers did? It's possible, but expensive. Yet again, the older pioneers bought everything at retail except for a couple of hard-to-find secondary market pieces. Nowadays, the new collector can jump on eBay and buy pieces for half their original cost or less.

This is all about commitment, ladies and gentlemen. The clock is ticking. Each pioneer collector that stops collecting is a lost opportunity to recognize him or her for being a major contributor to the success of Harbour Lights. Never forget that the success of Harbour Lights has meant so much to lighthouse restoration across our country. If you're reading this, it's because you are interested in lighthouses and HL's. That makes you a contributor.

cool Bob cool