We were on vacation... my wife saw me looking at the #673 Hereford 4th Order fresnel lens at the little Hallmark store where I bought my first H-L's. It was nice, but I couldn't see the $154 price. I have four other fresnels - which I like more... and were more appropriately priced, in my opinion. Still, while I was discussing the state of H-L in general with a sales person, they didn't know the Youngers had sold the company, for example, my wife bought the lens in secret.

My last H-L bought was the Sand Is, AL (#297). I think I have ~200 pieces now, inc lightships, H-L's, specials, and GLOW's. They are nice... but some time back, I put some back in their boxes to store, releasing bookshelf space for some of my long boxed books. Recalling this, I commented how nice it was to have the space - and that we really didn't have the money. Additionally, her Harmony Kingdom collection was growing - and all 200+ displayed in an all glass hex case bought from a store dropping the Hummel line. She offered to return it, if possible. They cheerfully gave her card a credit.

Of course, now I find myself rethinking said deed. Do I 'catch up'? So many new H-L's I haven't even seen - Birmingham has no dealers now. My paid-for house is small - and the appliances had to be replaced this year - the septic tank/field lines need work, the garage door needs replacing, etc - then there is the two new cars we bought two years ago (My car was 14.5 yr old... my wife's was a lemon-law replacement.). It seems I don't have the extra bucks anymore... my other hobbies have also waned. Interests change - but seeing those new lights and lenses has planted a seed.

How do others cope with this? Can other hobbies exist with H-L collecting? My room - once a haven for my G-scale trains on those shelves - has been my lighthouse collection display area. I had started to run out of room, thus the book storage. Of course, this big desk and computer could go... maybe a lap top...

Perhaps it is time to quit. How would one price a 'collection'? I would hate to piece it out - anyone want a collection for a fraction of MSRP? What fraction? You'll need a delivery truck...

How do others cope with these discontinuities in the 'force'?

John