More on Abbie's loom:

Dear Lighthouse Friends:

Attached are photographs of the loom that was owned and used by Abbie Burgess (Grant), Maine's most famous lighthouse heroine, which has been donated to the American Lighthouse Foundation for display in the Museum of Lighthouse History. The Reading Rainbow book, Keep the Lights Burning Abbie has been a school children's favorite for years. The Original Biography of Abbie Burgess has also been a best seller on the Maine coast for well over 20 years.

This may truly be one of the most important lost artifacts to be discovered in Maine's lighthouse history.

As I might have mentioned to you previously this will be shipped to us from Wisconsin via private carrier and we have all the paperwork to go with it that proves this belonged to Abbie Burgess and was used by her at Whitehead Island Light. It was later given to the Norton family and has remained in that family's possession ever since. The Norton family at one time owned Whitehead Island and a Norton also served as the keeper of life saving station on Whitehead Island.
The private carrier has quoted us a figure of $711.00 to ship the loom to us and we have signed the contract with them. A separate insurance rider will cost $50.00 for a total of $761.00. This company will ship the loom on a truck that is bringing rare antiques and paintings to Boston and will add the loom as a carry along, which makes the price much lower than the original quote of over $2,000.00 that we were given.

My interpretation of the ByLaws of the Foundation do not allow us to spend money for this type of incoming freight item, and this money will need to be donated from members and/or other interested parties.

Okay, who will be the first to send a donation or raise the money to cover this expense?
Don't assume that someone else will do it, it never works that way.

I know, I'm always asking for money for ALF, but without my asking and without your financial help, our major accomplishments would never happen.

My best wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Tim Harrison
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 889
Wells, Maine 04090

Shirin