As a model ship builder I get all kinds of catalogs relative to the hobby. One came today with a surprising item which may be of some interest to the crafty members of this forum.

This is a small tool and hobby supply catalog published by Micro-Mark in Berkeley Heights, NJ. (http://www.micromark.com) 800-225-1066.

On page 83 there appears, and I quote:

"HO scale Thomas Point Lighthouse Kit

The Thomas Point is the only screw-pile lighthouse standing in its original position in Cheaspeake Bay. This great new kit by Precision Lasercraft has laser-cut walls, windows, doors, decks, plus etched brass railings, a styrene and metal support structure and cast-metal detail parts. Tab-and-slot construction, color photos, detailed drawings and complete instructions make assembly easy. Also includes an electronic beacon flasher with power supply. #82233 Thomas Point Lighthouse, List $100.00, our price $89.95."

For those unfamiliar with model train scales, HO is about 1/87, where the model is 87 times smaller than the original.

Another way to visualize this scale is that slightly more than 1/8 of an inch on the model equals one foot on the original.

Without knowing the scale of the Harbour Lights Signature Series Thomas Point Lighthouse, but being familiar with HO scale, I'd say the model kit is about the same approximate size.

The small color photo in the catalog shows the model kit to be much more highly detailed than the HL one (no criticism real or implied here, just an observation), with vents, antennae, smoke stack, and so on.

If you're not a model builder, be aware that the quality of a finished kit often lies with the builder and his skills, and the best of kits is no guarantee that your final product will be something you'll be proud of. But if you have the skills and patience (mostly patience), then it probably will be.

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

[This message has been edited by Bob Steinbrunn (edited 09-21-99).]

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild