The flip side of the "dumping" problem is dealers that call themselves "secondary" dealers and charge inflated prices for pieces they bought to sell at retail. I had a lengthy conversation with one dealer I suspect was doing this. Her argument was if she wanted to make the investment and sit on the pieces, leave them to appriciate in the back room, then she should be able to get secondary for them. I guess you can see both points of view.
Personally, we buy Harbour Lights because we enjoy them. We enjoy when friends and family visit and want to hear stories about our visits to the lighthouses they're modeled after. As for as value, there have been quite a few we've had to buy at secondary prices, so when we can find a dealer breaking the rules and "dumping" them, We take advantage of it. It is nice to know that the value will go up, but to me that is just an added bonus. We don't plan on our lighthouse collection financing our retirement. (Althought the way the Stock Market's been lately......)
As far as dealer "dumping" or selling at secondary, like it or not thats just part of free enterprise, and try as they may, it's almost impossible for Harbour Lights to control.