I bought the Currituck Piece for $71.25, and then got $9 in shipping charges added on to the final price. If it retailed for $80, then I'm paying a measly quarter higher than retail for this piece.

Also, Gale asked me if I was interested in any other piece, and I told her Point Fermin. She informed me that she didn't have that piece, but if she did it would cost over $300 to purchase from her.

Now why is it that everyone condones paying a fortune over what an actual piece initially costs, but when it comes to finding a bargain every once in a blue moon, then people start crying fowl?

The secondary market is just that, secondary. It's price is set by what buyers are willing to pay, and by what price sellers are willing to sell. I found a seller willing to sell a retired market piece at a slight loss to her, and I am grateful for that, especially since I am not willing to shell out 200 to 300 dollars on Ebay for an over inflated piece.

If we don't want to buy things below their market value, then maybe we should remove the retired from retail link from the Harbour Lights webpage. All we're doing is depreciating the value of the retired lights if we find one at a retail price, and the secondary price is much higher than that.

I too have paid slighly above market value for a few of my pieces. In the long run, everything averages out. As far as I'm concerned, those of you who wish to harp on people who sell pieces slightly below retail are missing out on a few bargains. Go right ahead. Maybe then there will be a few more lighthouses out there that I can afford in the future.

Also, the initial post was not intended to promote any one shop. I was posted because I have wanted this piece for a long time, and everytime I found one, the price was way to high. I was just happy that I finally found the piece I want, at a price that I could afford.

[This message has been edited by Naders (edited 04-12-2001).]