Thanks to you all for the welcome, I've been very busy of late what with one thing or another, getting the house into some kind of order after having the central heating renewed has occupied much of my time. Next Monday I have the commisioning editor for a publisher coming to visit me with a view to serialising my book as a precursor to publishing it, I have some other work that might also be conidered for publication too and I hope that I will not be too restricted so as not to able to post some of the poems on this website.
Now to tell you a little about me; I was born in Kenya in 1953 at the time of the Mau Mau uprising. My father was serving with the army out there. By 1955 things were getting just a little too hot out there so we moved to Shropshire in the middle of England. When my father came out of the army in 1957 we moved to Essex to a place called Basildon it was a new town about 27 miles from London. I left Basildon to join the army in 1972 and served in Germany with one four month tour of Northern Ireland. I met Margaret my wife while I was in the army; and because of the hardship of army life I knew it would not be in our best interest to stay in the army. I joined the Northern Lighthouse Board in 1979 and served at four Lighthouses in my thirteen years service.
InchKeith, Mull of Galloway, Ailsa Craig and Rhinns of Islay. As a supernumerary lighthouse keeper (novice keeper awaiting appointment) I went to Killantringan, Sule Skerry, Ruvaal, Barra Head and Holburn Head lighthouses. I was made redundant from the service due to automation in 1992. I am retired from work through ill health as I have a heart condition and Asthma although I will be coming out of retirement if and when the book gets published. I will post snippets on all the lighthouses I served on every week.