Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouse Loon:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob48:
[b] To become exceptionally semantic, you could say the SOL is only 105' tall but mounted on a 200' pedestal, the statue itself being the lighthouse structure. Is this different from mounting a short light on a hill (Old Pt. Loma) or a cliff (Cape Meares) to achieve the height effect? The SOL may be the "highest" light on the east coast as opposed to the "tallest."
But the 200' pedestal was made to be part of the SOL structure, the hills and cliffs under the lights you mentioned were not. [/b]
To me, you both make valid points. However, if Cape Hatteras' pedestal is included, one could argue that Liberty's pedestal should also be included.

For me, the problem lies with the pedestal itself. If the pedestal exceeds the height of the lighthouse on which it is mounted, it seems as though it should be considered separately.....otherwise one could build a 10 foot lighthouse and place it on a 490' base and claim it to be 500' tall. If one places a vase on a pedestal, does one consider the pedestal as part of the vase's height?

It is truly odd that a lighthouse enthusiast such as myself would live in one of the only 3 states east of the Mississippi that does not have a lighthouse. Go figure. :p