Sorry for being so long getting back to this thread. Somewhat interesting to me that many of the posts did essentially say what I have thought for the past couple of years: with Bill trying to retire, end the signing events and go with regional events.

A little more background thinking for you:

Reunions are much more work than most realize. One of the reasons they are more expensive is that they are all inclusive; and, the Mackinac gathering had to be completely self sufficient with no HL subsidy other than the prizes. When collectors came to Mackinac, once they gave their keys to the valet parking folks (paid for) they had to spend no money if they did not want to. All their meals, their hotel, the ferry ride to the island, the carriage to the hotel, all the gifts they received were all included with their registration cost. Even the piece of Mackinac fudge was included. That gathering took me to Mackinac a total of five times for 3-5 days each trip. So, reunions just aren't going to happen too often, perhaps not ever again.

It is my belief that the regional events are the best middle ground option available to collectors. By trying to move them around we have tried to give more folks a regional within reach at least once every few years. And, yes, there will hopefully be a regional in the west. By adding lighthousing opportunities I have tried to also make it more of a "destination" gathering for folks so they can make a vacation of the trip - a regional, ligthousing with friends and maybe a little touring on their own. Trust me, there have been some great adventures tied to these gatherings.

Deciding where a regional might go does have some thought behind it. Not only are we looking for somewhere new, but things like what product might be coming out, nearby dealers and other items are taken into consideration. Not going to make everyone happy every year. Not everyone can make every event every year. Especially if we are able to really spread them out, travel can be expensive. And, there is always the "been there, done that" factor that comes into play. Trying to find a location where maybe we can see several lighthouses or related museums has to be considered. In the past I have asked folks where they would like to go for a regional and really don't have a lot of response. Many just wait to see what is on the menu and then decide if the choices are part of their diet . . .

While you can be assured this thread has been read, it is still important that you let Harbour Lights know that you hope they will continue to sponsor collector gatherings of some sort. Of course, it always helps that people show up for the gatherings so HL knows that there really is interest in them.