To answer the question that many have asked, yes there will be Harbour Lights regional events in 2008. There are two under consideration. One will be in the Great Lakes area. The other being considered is in the New Orleans area. This post is to get some feedback concerning the New Orleans possibility.

When we originally looked at New Orleans, the concept was that participants would be able to help with the rebuilding of the New Canal Light. A change in plans has happened and New Canal has been completely dismantled, the salvaged parts to be used in the reconstruction of the light. We would probably be allowed to see the parts of the light that have been salvaged and also receive information on the project from the folks doing it. The reconstruction may have begun by the time frame of the regional event.

I would also envision visiting other lights on the Gulf Coast, and possibly setting up a boat tour from the Mobile area to view Sand Island and Middle Bay Lights. There are other lights in the New Orleans area that are viewable.

Especially for those who have not been to New Orleans, this is a fascinating city to visit. From its history to the architecture to Bourbon Street for those so inclined. Walking thru the Farmer’s Market and stopping for a beignet at Café du Monde is a wonderful way to pass the time. Visiting the French Quarter, the Garden District, the plantations in the area. If great food interests you, there are so many fantastic places to eat, both internationally famous and just great local cooking. It just goes on and on.

The time frame for this event would be the first half of June.

What I need to know is whether or not you would be interested in attending such an event, one that combined a Harbour Lights regional, lighthouse visits and great vacation location. I am not looking for negatives, the “why isn’t there a regional planned for my neighborhood?” questions. You can email me with those questions and I will be glad to respond directly to you.