The Friday night with Bill probably had only 15 people including my three kids and me.
I would say there was around the same amount for the Saturday drawing at 2:00 (not including my three kids). I remember the good-old days when the Friday night had over 100 people and the Saturday drawings were so large that RIP and others had to go and shout the winners name so that the crowd of people could hear it. There was so many lighthouses sold that we had to go up to the keepers second floor and give our name for the pre-ordered event piece and wait in line till three or four of the lighthouse employees would walk thru the rows of lighthouses to retrieve our lights. Yes two of these events where regional but even on those occasions that were just store events it was still just as crowded.

What has happened? I think everyone above has hit the nail on the head. The question of what went wrong with why so few collectors came to the event would fill a grocery list, but let’s start with what went right.

For those that went on Friday had a very quiet peaceful night with a handful of the old faithful collectors. It was just us so the we could park right up to the museum. It was more of a family atmosphere with all of us gathering around Bill as he told his stories like a den leader teaching his squad as they are gathered around a campfire. We all received a signed HL St Aug mug, a free ticket for the HL dinning set and a thumbnail for those that asked for one. We were served Ordure’s with sodas or beer. Rosemarie and other St Augustine employees treated us as honored quest. What we learned from that night is that Bill plans on spending his summer out of the states with first trip being Ireland and flying back once in awhile for an HL event. It was a perfect evening but I think we were all concerned that so few showed up that this will be the last.

The Saturday Store event. As I said before there was also just a handful of collectors. The good thing was the odds were good for us to get something. There were two AP’s and the gold store event that was not present. We also had a chance for the HL dinnerware for $2. So with four items and around 6 couples, Sean and I, that was good odds in winning. A mater of fact I did win the Artist Proof Win Mill Point VT. So for me it was a very good day. Again it was nice that we did not have to put up with the crowd, but as Rich’s concern is if we had such a bad turn out will this be the last one. Yes it is the same event that we had year after year, but aren’t they all. Where could you find a place with such a good atmosphere as the ST Augustine lighthouse? I remember going to store events where we all had to pack in a tinny store and wait in line between the collectables to see Bill. All in all if your going to a Bill signing you can't beat the St Aug Lighthouse.

Okay next will be my list of why the bad turn out. And some of my ideas for solutions.
Stay tune to this forum.

DANIEL