There is no completely appropriate forum to post this in, so I made a command decision that this was as close as we had, so here goes:

Over the past several weeks I have been working on some ideas for the requested gathering for 2006. I have been helped by Joyce Holland, (Bonnebert). Here is what we are working on:

Tentative Date: June 24-25, 2006 (weekend after Father’s Day, before Independence Day)

The plan:

Saturday would be a lighthouse cruise. We would head past Old and New Cape Henry before turning east towards the Chesapeake Light Tower. Next would be Cape Charles, past Thimble Shoals, Old Point Comfort and finally Newport News Middle Ground. This is an all day cruise, so we would have lunch on board.

Sunday would be a bus trip to the USCG ANT School to see their magnificent display of Fresnel lenses. Then off to historic Fort Monroe to visit Old Point Comfort before moving on to Fort Story to visit Old and New Cape Henry.

Keep in mind that this is all tentative, nothing firm has been set. We have a hotel identified, but I won’t try to work out anything with them until I get some feedback as to whether or not this idea interests anyone. The area will provide for additional lighthousing opportunities either before or afterwards. The OBX is only a couple hours away. There are numerous Virginia and Maryland lights within easy driving range. The goal would be to set up a weekend where you could fly in on Friday evening and home on Sunday evening, spending the weekend lighthousing with friends. Or, the weekend could easily be just a part of a larger lighthousing vacation for those who chose to drive in.

The weekend would have a limit of 100 participants. Costs have not yet been established. If I feel there is adequate interest we will proceed so that we can begin to “lock in” the various components.

So, is this what you were looking for? Quality time with 98 or 99 of your lighthouse friends, lots of lighthousing and probably a group dinner.