You have by now read the untimely news of the passing of Bill O'Brien, oseabee here in the Forums. In another thread it was suggested that we do something to honor Bill. In the past, this fine Wacko family has chipped in and sent flowers or plants to families at the time of loss. (We were the recipients of one of those plants 2 years ago, and it was probably the most special one we received.) Since there is not going to be a funeral for Bill, it was suggested that we contribute to a cause in his name. Mombo offered to be the person to collect those gifts from Forum Members.

In conversations with John and Mombo today, I made the following suggestion as to how we can honor Bill in very special ways. My suggestions were:

(1) Buy a shingle at Block Island Southeast Light. This light is the 2002 Wacko light. Bill was a Wacko, and served as a Cruise Director for a while.

(2) Purchase a couple of bricks at Avery Point Lighthouse . Bill was born and raised in New England. This light is the one built by the USCG as a memorial to Lightkeepers. Bill often noted how he enjoyed the history of the lights. This light honors all Lightkeepers. Bill will be forever remembered as a Lightkeeper.

(3) Contribute to the restoration of the Anclote Key Lighthouse . Bill's club, the Tampa Bay Harbour Lights Club, has adopted the Anclote Key project and done quite a bit of work there. This would honor Bill in the area he lived.

We need to raise at least $300 - $100 to each of the above. Anything above $300 would be given to Anclote Key. Our suggested donation to this project is $10, but any amount will be appreciated. Make checks out to Susan LeFever (Mombo). She will collect the funds and make the distribution on our behalf. I would ask that you make any contributions by October 21st, so that Mombo can finalize our gifts and get them sent off.

If you knew Bill from the Forums, or read his posts, or received his post cards in the exchanges, I hope that you will contribute. If you thought enough of him to wear his Wacko name Badge at the Reunion, I hope that you will contribute. This is a goal we can achieve, and not only honor our friend, but help preserve lighthouses in his honor. Thanks for your support.

Dave

Please send contributions to:

Susan LeFever
9110-1 West River Rd
Phoenix, NY 13135