It is with great sorrow that I must inform everyone that Fred Kuhlman (aka The Ancient Mariner) passed away on Saturday afternoon, July 14th. In recent months, Fred's health had deteriorated rapidly. He had just returned to his apartment a little over a week ago after a stay at the hospital.

The newer members never had the opportunity to meet Fred in person, and he had not been able to participate in the Forums for a while. To those who knew Fred he truly was the patriarch of the CF. Fred was one of Harbour Lights earliest collectors and was quick to let people know that he had purchased all of his collection at retail, none at secondary expenses.

You may recall that Fred made a pilgramage from his home in the SF Bay area to his son's home in Michigan each year. For a number of those years members of the CF took turns calling Fred each night to check in with him and see how he was doing. That information was then shared so we all knew how Fred was progressing. Fred received great pleasure from his friends wanting to keep track of him on his journeys.

Those of us who were fortunate enough to know Fred will treasure our time with him and the wonderful memories from that time. I recall sitting with Fred at the final breakfast of the Baltimore Reunion. He was being very generous with his bids for the various offerings. The room became very silent as Fred and one other person bid against each other for a prototype of the HL Macquarie LE. This was a true one-of-a-kind as this version was not produced. My memory says that the bidding stopped at $5,000, with the room finally being able to take a breath.

Fred generally timed his trip to the midwest to be sure he would be at the International Collectibles Exposition (Rosemont) show. He would be able to spend time with the Younger family and his collector family. I think I speak for many when I say that we all looked forward to his presence. You never knew when Fred might show up.

Plans for a memorial service are being worked on, not sure of when it might be. However, the family does plan to do memorial contribution instead of flowers. If anyone would like to contribute to a combined CF memorial gift, I will collect any contributions and send them on once plans have been made. If you need an address, send me a note.

Fred will be missed. As a small way to celebrate Fred I am sharing a few images. If you have any good images of Fred, feel free to add a couple.

Fred in the South Pacific while serving in the Navy during WW II:

Fred admires his purchase of San Diego Reunion thumbnail countersamples during the Baltimore Reunon. Stephen (Jakers) and Mombo look on.

Fred hanging out with his collector family at our hotel during Rosemont 2002:

Fred finally arrives at the Long Island regional event in September 2003:

Fred and my daughter Heather in Door County in 2004. Photo by Jim Johnson, used with permission.