Lighthouse lovers turn the lights on - not off!! In the spirit of keeping the light on, let me introduce myself. I live near Annapolis, Maryland. I have loved lighthouses since I was a child but I had little opportunity to pursue this. About 15 years ago my daughter gave me my first Harbour Lights for Christmas. Then I found out about the Chesapeake Chapter of the USLHS. I joined and started going on as many of their trips as I could. I have now been near, on, or up all 40 lighthouses on the Chesapeake Bay and down the 3 lightships. My husband and I also love the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Since our daughters now live in Wilmington, NC, we sometimes take the "long way" and go by the lights again. I still have not been up Hatteras. It was closed for so long, then moved, and now my timing has just been off.
When I retired from teaching High School a few years back, I could participate more in the Chapter outings. Whenever we travel, I pull out my map of all the lights in the US and see which ones are near wherever we are. The most exciting was to go to Hook Head in Ireland. I try to limit my HL collection to only the ones that I have seen, but then are the ones I want to see and the one's that just look interesting. I had a great time at the Baltimore Reunion in 2001, the week after my daughter got married. I just went by myself and relaxed after all the doings of the wedding. What a wonderful group of people. I met new people every day and loved it. I hope there will be another Reunion before too long. My favorite lighthouse is Thomas Point. As a member of the Chesapeake Chapter and of the Annapolis Maritime Museum, who bought it along with the City of Annapolis, I feel that I am a part owner!!
I would like to use one of my own pics for my avatar, so it would be great to get an update on how to upload my own.
Thanks to all of you for keeping this conversation going and keeping the light on.