Visited the surgeon's office today to have the staples removed. Nurse said things look good which was what we wanted to hear. For the next week I have tape helping to keep the incission closed. Fortunately not duct tape.

I have been walking a couple of times a day (more exercise than I was getting before surgery....) and doing pretty well at that. Doc said best thing I can do is to walk. Other rehab is self directed using exercises assigned by physical therapist - no trips to the PT shop for therapy.

Have had to use a walker for past couple weeks to make sure I had stable footing. The next couple weeks I will be phasing back to my cane, and then I will be working to ditch the cane. Lots of rules and precautions I have to follow, but I am happy to do so based on the results I have had so far. Pretty much no pain, other than the rather large slice they took to stick my bionic hip in and the staples to help it close and get started healing.

The only downside I can thnk of so far is that I won't be able to wear my thong to the annual Saints & Cruise Directors pool party. (and, I wonder just how many are now doing everything possible to get that image out of their mind........)

I ended up going to a surgeon in Fort Wayne, about a 90 minute drive for us. Probably one of my better decisions. Most excellent surgeon, supposed to be one of the very best there is. Based on my experience I would have to agree. My cousin is a sales rep for BioMet and was in the OR during my surgery. He said my old hip was way beyond shot, that had I waited much longer I could have caused more problems. The hospital was one of the newer concept Ortho hospitals - just 24 beds with a staff that deals only with orthopaedic surgeries. It is attached to a larger satellite hospital of one of Fort Wayne's major facilities.

I was given the newest type joint available, referred to as metal-on-metal. It is able to accomodate a larger ball head (better range of motion and has reduced risk of dislocation). While the traditional metal-on-polyethylene style of replacement joint is expected to last 10-12 years, they expect the metal-on-metal to potentially last 20-25 years. Still so new in actual use that real life wear data is still being developed. I'm hoping the 20-25 years works out to be an accurate estimate!

Be interesting to see how I do the next time I visit the airport, but I have my official "replacement parts card" from the doc.