I served in the U.S. Air Force (1974-1980) at Grissom AFB in North Central Indiana. I was an aircraft maintenance technician (wrench jockey) with the 434th Tactical Fighter Wing for the 1st 2 years and later was promoted to crew chief. I was fortunate enough to get my hands on several "neat" fighter aircraft, F-4, F-111, F-5, A-37 and finished on the GREAT A-10! In 1978 I was awarded "Airman Of The Year" and also received the "Indiana Military Achievement Award" presented by then Governor Otis R. Bowen who later served as Secy. of Health Education & Welfare under President Reagan. "Doc" Bowen also happens to be a lifelong resident of Bremen (our hometown hero).

Didn't serve in any conflicts unless you consider the nightly ones in the bars in Kokomo.

Yes, they did get me to paint also. I had the very cool task of painting the "nose art" on the A-37 Dragonflies (a very mean looking Dragon) also the Maintenance vehicles and I painted our unit emblem on the sides of aircraft hangers when deployed (there could still be some of the work out there somewhere, who knows).