While I would have preferred the wooden base not be attached, I think the reasoning behind this is because the AB product line is not coming with cases anymore, the base sort of dresses up the model. I will buy cases for them from the manufacturer that I bought the Mackinaws cases from. They were very reasonable( approx.$35) and look almost the same as the original AB cases. This will be my favorite AB and not for the reason that I helped research the pictures. Being a veteran of Viet Nam, Ocean and Weather Station patrols, boarding ships and finally Search and Rescue from the High Endurance Cutters, I have a deep feeling for the old 255', 311', and 327' WHECs. They were the backbone of the modern day Coast Guard and to this day, the 327' Secretary Class Cutter was, and still is, the smoothest riding and best looking of all decommisioned and present day cutters. The Secretary Class Cutter, slicing through either calm or rough seas, made you think that you were on a pleasure craft. The twin screws enabled the Cutter to turn or stop on a dime and this was what saved the 327's from being destroyed by the German Subs during WWII. As you can tell, I have fond memories from my 5 years at sea, and in Viet Nam, on these ships. There is no doubt in my military mind that I will have a pair, and maybe 2, of these models.

Rich