I don't know about you but I feel it is time that Harbour Lights made a replica of a 255' or 327' Coast Guard High Endurance Cutter rich in Coast Guard history. Three of these cutters come to mine and they are the 255' Androscoggin, and two 327' cutters, the Ingham and Taney. I have had the pleasure to serve on the "Andy" during a Viet Nam Tour and the Ingham on what were lovingly called "Ocean Station Patrols". Let me give you some history and interesting facts on why I believe these cutters could be a tribute to the men and women of the Coast Guard.

1. USCGC Androscoggin WHEC 68 - A "Lake Class" Cutter originally designed to be between 316' and 355' in length. Because of many theories, and no one knows for sure what the real reason was, the "Andy" and other ships in her class was finally built at 255' in length. She and the other ships in her class were some of the strongest ships during her days because of a frame every foot in length. They never changed the hull design even though they shortened the length. The "Andy" was commisioned on Sep. 26 1946 and decommisioned on Feb. 27, 1973. The Androscoggin's claim to fame is she was the most decorated Coast Guard Cutter of the Viet Nam War. During a dark night in the spring of 1968 the "Andy" intercepted 3 Viet Cong Trawlers loaded with small arms and ammunition that were trying to run the blockade off the southern tip of Viet Nam. The "Andy" turned back two of these trawlers and sunk the 3rd trawler. This battle was hailed as the biggest navel battle during the Viet Nam War. The "Andy" took several hits during this battle on her racing stripe when she was illuminated by friendly forces. No one was hurt due to the gunfire from the trawlers. The "Andy" was also the first Coast Guard Cutter to wear the Coast Guard's Racing Stripe when the "Andy" was assigned to be in the Frank Sinatra movie"Assult on a Queen" in late 1966 - early 1967.

2. USCGC Ingham WHEC 35 - A 327' "Secretary Class" cutter with teak decking that was commisioned on Sep. 17, 1936 and decommisioned on May 27, 1988. Ingham is one of two remaining 327' Cutters on display for the public to tour. Ingham had the distinction of being the oldest commisioned naval vessel on active duty and wearing Gold Hull numbers for this distinction from Aug. 1, 1985 to her decommisioning in 1988, she was the last Coast Guard Cutter to sink a German U-Boat during WWII and she is now a National Landmark located in Charleston,SC and is the Coast Guard's National Memorial to the 912 Coast Guardsman killed in action in WWII and Viet Nam.

3. USCGC Taney WHEC 37 - Taney was also a 327' High Endurance Cutter with beautiful teak decking that was commisioned on Oct. 24, 1936 and decommisioned on Dec. 7, 1986. Taney's main claim to fame is she was homeported in Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7th, 1941 and was the last surviving affloat commisioned naval vessel of the 101 that were there during the attack. Taney was underway immediately after the attack and provided support and safety to the harbor for the next 80 days straight. Taney is now the 2nd High Endurance 327' Cutter that is on display for the public. She is located in Baltimore's inner harbor.

I am campaigning for one of these cutters to be made by Harbour Lights as an Anchor Bay release maybe in the next year. I have already talked to Don about doing an older historic Coast Guard Cutter and he indicated he would be interested if enough support were there and he could get pictures of these ships. The Coast Guard Historian can furnish the pictures but I need you support in words so Don can see that a ship of in one of these classes would be a popular seller.

I feel the Ingham, being the Coast Guard's National Memorial to the 912 Coast Guardsman that lost their life during WWII and Viet Nam, would be the best choice for a replica.

Rich