Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Barbers Point Review #211302 07/27/19 10:15 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The Barbers point came yesterday and I let my 30 yr old daughter open it. I was so surprised at her reaction toward it. She exclaimed how out of my 400 lighthouses that this is her favorite. She noted how the stressed paint added to realistic look of it and how detailed the house was. I saw that it looked detailed but didn’t realize how much until I took a magnifying glass to it.

The following are the extremely detailed items I noticed,

1. The house chimney has each brick individually showed.
2. The window casings are shown with the window set back in its own plain.
3. The individual slats are defined in the skirting below the house.
4. The wood siding pops out and is very defined as individual boards.
5. The roof- I believe every shingle was etched in on the roof.

You might say, Well doesn’t other lighthouses keepers house have this much detail. Yes on the larger profiled keeper houses they do. But for how small the profile of the house is, it is very impressive how much detailing went into it for its small scale.
The lighthouse figurine allover impression is that it keeps your eyes busy with two lighthouse towers, a keepers house, water, beach, rocks, grass, bushes and my favorite the Palm trees. To me they are one of the things I thought was the most impressive. The one tree is twice as high as the house, and the other is 2 and a half times higher. That makes the lighthouse very realistic looking. The other thing I like about the Palm trees are that they are not rigid and they bounce back. I wonder if Harry tested them to see where their breaking point is.

The thing I didn’t like about Barbers point was the Peanuts. Peanuts, Peanuts everywhere. But Rich explained to me that with this type of packaging that Harry is getting zero breakage. So I guess they are okay if they help to keep breakage down.

My final comment is that isn’t it great it is totally made in the USA at Harry’s studio in San Diego California. We now have a California made lighthouses again.

DANIEL
Re: Barbers Point Review [Re: DANIEL] #211303 07/28/19 10:13 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
My thoughts exactly on the detail of this piece. The time looking for a factory and the frustration of not finding a factory has made this piece even better with Harry doing everything himself. Harry has outdone himself with the detail of the piece and the excellent detailed painting. I have been waiting for this piece since before Harbour Lights went out of business and I have not been disappointed! Thank you Harry for taking the time and insisting on quality as only you can produce.

And thank you Daniel for such an excellent write-up.

Rich
Re: Barbers Point Review [Re: DANIEL] #211304 07/28/19 11:27 AM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
And Thanks to Rich who kept pressuring Harry to make Lighthouses again.
Many don't know this but we can give Rich a lot of credit for The Harry Hines lighthouses and the very survival of this forum after its many deadly wounds.

DANIEL
Re: Barbers Point Review [Re: DANIEL] #211305 07/28/19 07:13 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the compliment Daniel, but, Roland at the Cape Cod Store was very instrumental in Harry's Lighthouse production and without Dave Hannum we would not have the Forums. Thanks should go to the people that deserve it. However, I am guilty of pushing Harry to do Barbers Point and I'm glad I did.

Rich
Re: Barbers Point Review [Re: flacoastie] #211306 07/29/19 10:08 AM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Originally Posted by flacoastie
Thanks for the compliment Daniel, but, Roland at the Cape Cod Store was very instrumental in Harry's Lighthouse production and without Dave Hannum we would not have the Forums. Thanks should go to the people that deserve it. However, I am guilty of pushing Harry to do Barbers Point and I'm glad I did.

Thank you Rich. Though the initial work on Harry's line was already in place when Harry asked me to come on board. I am just providing another outlet and perspective to Harry in order to help make this line a success.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Barbers Point Review [Re: DANIEL] #211307 07/29/19 10:15 AM
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
[quote=DANIEL
The thing I didn’t like about Barbers point was the Peanuts. Peanuts, Peanuts everywhere. But Rich explained to me that with this type of packaging that Harry is getting zero breakage. So I guess they are okay if they help to keep breakage down.
[/quote]

Daniel,
One of the main reasons Harry went with peanuts, rather than formed styrofoam, was the cost. Another $8 per piece would have had to have been added to the retail price if he used the styro inserts. Though the peanuts are messy, (and Harry acknowledges that in his note attached to each box), it has, so far, been perfect and turned what could be a very fragile piece into one which has, as of this writing, been received in perfect condition by all who have ordered and received it.

Last edited by The Cape Cod Store.com; 07/29/19 10:16 AM.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
Re: Barbers Point Review [Re: DANIEL] #211308 07/29/19 10:30 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
As far as the peanuts go I can take or leave them and in this case I am glad Harry went with them because of the palm trees which enhance the piece since I do not believe there have ever been trees this thin and this tall ever used before.

There has been some comments on the price of the piece but you have to realize this is 2019 and not 2010 when HLs went out of business. Prices have gone up and so have materials. The only thing that hasn't changed is Harry's quality and quality cost money. By adding fitted foam, the price of the piece would have gone up and maybe the breakage might have also gone up because of less flexibility.

Rich
Re: Barbers Point Review [Re: DANIEL] #211311 08/04/19 12:51 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
For those of you that have not visited www.harryhine.com and looked at his actual pictures of Barbers Point you have not seen the best yet to come from Harry's work shop. It is being done by Harry in it's entirety, from molding to casting to painting with 100% USA products. You need to take a look and than order your piece by contacting Harry at the top of his web page. He is taking special orders and you will not have to pay for the piece until he has it ready to ship. The price is $130.00 + shipping to your ZIP Code. My shipping to Ocala, FL was $19.10 for 2 day priority mail.

Take a look and you will be hooked!!!!!!!!

Rich
Re: Barbers Point Review [Re: DANIEL] #211332 08/28/19 11:24 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
For those of you that have contacted Harry by either phone or email(his website) and have not received an answer, don't give up hope. Harry is busy working on his next batch of lighthouses and he assuired me no one that contacts him will be left out for the Barbers Point. He can only make them so fast and he will let you know when your serial number comes up!

Any questions please contact me!!!!

Rich
Re: Barbers Point Review [Re: DANIEL] #211333 08/28/19 01:25 PM
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I just got off the phone with Harry. He is just finishing up on his next batch of 10, or so, lighthouses and will be filling a few more orders shortly. He also told me that he has a number of pending orders and is doing his best to fill them as soon as he can. Having said that, he refuses to rush these too much and have the quality of the pieces compromised. He will make sure that everyone who wants a piece will get one of the utmost highest quality!

Roland Babineau
Re: Barbers Point Review [Re: DANIEL] #211334 08/28/19 01:30 PM
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
BTW, if you get your Barber's Point and find that you are kicking yourself for not getting any of Harry's earlier pieces, though the Jones Point is sold out, we still have some Rock Island and Palmer Island pieces available. They can be ordered here... http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harry_hine_studios/harry_hine.html

Last edited by The Cape Cod Store.com; 08/28/19 01:31 PM.

Roland Babineau

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,039 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users