Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bremerhaven! #99807 10/24/01 12:50 AM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
One of these little cuties has found a new home! If you welcome HL's that don't take up a lot of room, want something entirely different from those you already have and are crazy about foreign lights this one's for you! When comparing it with the Pharos pieces it is taller, more like Longships and La Jument in size but in style it blows them all away, imo, and I love Longships! This light may be from Germany but the flag doesn't say "Germany". It says, well you will have to see it to see just what it says.

My only complaint is with the C of A, very sketchy. Flowery but no real information on the light itself. A much better job could have been done here.

On a personal note: A favorite Aunt and Uncle sailed on the Bremen in 1969, thereby missing my wedding. (Bremen being the inland city for which Bremerhaven is the port.)

This Uncle had come to the U.S. from Germany as a young man prior to WW2. After having completed his education he was advised by "friends" that the political situation in his homeland would soon become unpleasant and was advised to leave.

He arrived in New York with a few belongings and a slip of paper with the name and address of "friend of a friend" who lived somewhere on Long Island. He contacted this individual who took him into his home and helped him find work.

Eventually he found his way to Syracuse where he met and married my Aunt. They worked and lived in the Philidelphia area returning to Syracuse in the 1950's. Uncle Hans had a very successful career with Carrier Corporation and along with a partner was the co-inventor of the modern air conditioner. He forfeited all claims at the time was not recognized for his achievement until the late 1980's. He passed away in 1997 at the age of 94.

This afternoon I.O. offered up, "The Bremen was the first German ship that sailed into New York Harbor following WW II." When I asked him how he knew this he said that his Dad had received a phone call from a radio station who asked this question. If he had gotten the answer correct his Dad would have won a prize. Guess back then you didn't call them, they called you. His Dad didn't know, didn't win but I.O. remembered the call after so many years.

(Further research reveals that it couldn't have been the Bremen as the ship was only in service under that name from 1957-1971. The phone call was received in 1950.)

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 10-24-2001).]

Re: Bremerhaven! #99808 10/24/01 02:12 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hello Mombo, glad to hear someone else is excited about this little beauty...partial to it (being a kraut), but thought it a WOW anyway upon 1st viewing @ Navy Pier...I don't normally buy the int'l pieces but this one looks like a keeper...has yet to arrive in SF Bay area though...

Re: Bremerhaven! #99809 10/24/01 03:12 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice story Mombo! I got mine last Saturday and it's a very nice piece! Lots of detail and very unique! The price is right also!

Re: Bremerhaven! #99810 10/24/01 07:12 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
Just picked up my Bremerhaven and Cedar Key this pm both real nice additions to my collection.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Bremerhaven! #99811 11/17/01 07:19 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I too had to have Bremerhaven because of a family tie!
My dad's brother, my Uncle Al, was in the Merchant Marines. He sailed between New York and Bremerhaven, Germany. It was there that he met my Aunt Marianne. After several trips to Germany, they married and she came to live in Brooklyn. We had many happy visits with them in NY and later in Florida after my uncle retired. I just picked up my piece this week and am very happy to have it.

chris g

Chris G
Re: Bremerhaven! #99812 11/19/01 12:39 AM
Brent Offline
I received my piece about a month ago am very satisified with it. I had the opportunity to visit there in '69 while being stationed in Frankfurt. Its one of the most beautiful "lights" that I've ever seen...and that's a bunch!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Bremerhaven! #99813 11/26/01 02:33 PM
DocJ44 Offline
Its a shame there hasn't been more interest in the Bremerhaven and Cedar Key pieces...not even an official review from the forum cruise director.

I suspect they are victims to circumstance given that they were released in the vicinity of the reunion...and I suspect they got lost in all the excitement.

Doc John
Re: Bremerhaven! #99814 11/26/01 05:50 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
I personally think they are both welcome additions to any collectors collection.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Bremerhaven! #99815 11/27/01 02:34 AM
JoanieO Offline
I went to my dealer to pick up my Bug Light and spotted the Bremerhaven. As I was leaving the store, I took another look at it and knew I couldn't go home without it. Besides, Bill had just finished signing it, so that made it extra special. I think it is a beautiful piece.
JoanieO

P.S. I also have Cedar Key. It's a Florida light, so I went for it.

[This message has been edited by JoanieO (edited 11-26-2001).]

JoanieO

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 872 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users