OP Offline
Saint
After reviewing the 2003 Introductions for January, leave your comments:

www.HarbourLights.com/catalog/2003/

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98874 12/10/02 05:39 PM
K
Kyujin Offline
K
Wow, looks like Florida is the big winner. I wonder why there are so many releases from the same state at one time? What is the record for releases from one state in one year?

Interesting pieces for the Pharos and Rhodes. I wonder how well these will sell. Only 5 more "Wonders of the World" to go.

Does anyone know what the Society Piece will be?

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98875 12/10/02 05:47 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
Mayport---Won’t buy. Not a recognizable name. Average tower and house. Looks small.

West Point---Will buy! Nice Canadian light. Unusual tower. I like the contrast of the black and white stripes with the red lantern room.

Chicamacomico---Won’t buy. I already have the Point Allerton LSS. Don’t need a second one.

Dry Tortugas---Won’t buy. Looks like Pensacola’s tower. Nothing unique about it.

Sand Key---Will buy! Wow!™ Spectacular spider legs design.

St. Joseph Point---Might buy. It’s very similar to Boca Grande, but I like the grounds and lantern room on this one better.

Anclote Key---Won’t buy. Too similar to Sanibel.

Half Moon Reef---Will buy! Love the colors, the unusual design, the water storage tanks. . .and the FLAG!

Pharos---Will buy! I always wondered how they would fare with this ancient light. The answer: Very well indeed!

Colossus---Might buy. I dunno. I like the creativity, but it looks like the Statue of Liberty attacking the city.

St. Clair Channel---Might buy. Nice detail. The little one is cute, cute, cute. The big one would have to grow on me.

SE Block on the Move---Will buy! A secret wish of mine was that they would do a “Move” sculpture for Southeast Block. Never thought I’d see it. Boy, was this a pleasant surprise. But please...get the doors on the back of the house correct (hopefully the 4th time is the charm).

Hillsboro GLOW---Won’t buy. I’ve got the big one...don’t need the wee one.

Yaquina Head GLOW---Won’t buy. A big improvement over the 1991 limited edition, but even that one’s in storage.

Oak Island GLOW---Won’t buy. I like the illumination, but I’ve got the original.

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98876 12/10/02 06:37 PM
J
JCRice Offline
J
I LOVE West Point!!! I think Bill nailed it...something having to do with the uniqueness of the piece. Also, Sand Key looks like a real winner...(possibly better than American Shoal and Sanibel?) And, I give a definate "thumbs up" to the SE Block Island piece. I know...ANOTHER version of that light, but I am a fan of all the stuff around the light. That will definatly spark visitor's questions... And, I kinda like the Half Moon Reef HL, too. I usually stick to east coast lights (no offense to any other region...I just have to draw a line somewhere), but this one may have to be an exception.

And, I'll take a "wait and see" approach on Mayport, Dry Tortugas, St. Joseph Point and Anclote Key... By the way, did someone mention that there are a TON of Florida lights...just thought I'd add that in...AGAIN! smile

--Jeff
Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98877 12/10/02 10:04 PM
lhlover Offline
I know that FLCoastie will be happy that they finally made St. Johns River (Mayport,FL), but I'm not that thrilled by it, I guess I had the same reaction when I saw it in person too. I'll buy it however because it's a HL and because it's a FL Light. Sand Key looks very interesting, while you guys are right, Anclote Key does look like Sanibel. St. Joseph is cute, West Point interesting colors. Loggerhead (Dry Tortugas) does resemble Pensacola (and Hunting,SC), but doesn't have the two story house attached to it - looks great. The rest are nice, but the one that enchants me the most is Pharos! I love that piece and am glad that I don't have to wait long to purchase that beauty. I hope it looks even nicer in person than it does on the website!

Just think, the Pharos and the Colossus were huge and had open fires to light them. I would have hated to have to light them and tend to them. I bet they had an amazingly high amount of stairs. Think of how big the lightkeepers leg muscles must have been! smile

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98878 12/10/02 10:32 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I will buy all the new introductions except for the GLOWs. The prices, pieces, and edition sizes make me happy.

smile Bob smile

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98879 12/10/02 10:36 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
WOW!!!! eek THESE ARE AWESOME!!!!

Block Island actually moves plus a shot at a ltd edition of this light!!!! I won't miss this one!!

St Clair Lights are great, another definite for my collection!!

Chicamacomico LSS- Finally another LSS, wish it was Old Harbor, but I'll pick it up.

If the budget allows----> Pharos and Colossus for sure! Ancolote Key and Loggerhead a possibility!!

Great Job Harbour Lights!!!!!! You guys are the best!!!
Jim

Jim
Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98880 12/10/02 10:39 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I will have to get Anclote and Sand Key lights. Most of the other ones I will have to see in person, before I make a buy no buy decision.

Eric
Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98881 12/10/02 10:41 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Not crazy about Pharos and Colossus, they look like something out of a Sinbad movie, imho, nothing Harbour Lights could control of course. They will have to be included with their sister, the Statue of Liberty. Being a Floridian I am excited by all the releases. Block Island is nice but like Hatteras I really don't need anymore. I would have rather seen a new lighthouse sculpted. I'm never excited about the Canadian pieces, there nice but I would rather see more from around the world issued.

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98882 12/11/02 01:14 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
I really like West Point and SE Block on the Move. I'm into LSS, so I'll probably get Chicamacomico too. I kind of like the St. Clair Lights, but that one will have to grow on me a little before I buy. The rest of the pieces I have mixed feelings on and probably will not buy.

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98883 12/11/02 12:14 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest rating:

Southeast Block - 9
St Clair Channel - 9
Sand Key -9
Pharos - 9
West Point PEI - 8
Half Moon Reef - 8
Anclote Key - 8
St Joseph Point - 7
Mayport - 6
Dry Tortugas - 6
Colossus of Rhodes - 6
Chicamacomico - 4 (non-lighthouse & small)

I will purchase all of them through my autoship. I didn't rate the GLOWs because I no longer buy them. Ratings are by viewing the pics only. My opinion could be changed by viewing the actual pieces.

smile Bob smile

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98884 12/11/02 03:22 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I've cut back my purchases quite a bit- due to lack of room, cash and enthusiasm.

Here's my thoughts on the merits and likelihood of my purchasing each of the new ones.

I will make a blanket statement that I am definitely pleased with the numbers of the editions.

Southeast Block - A 9. I like the way this is described- actually being able to show the movement. Yes it's been done before, but it's a special one. Definitely a buy.

St Clair Channel - I say a 7. They look nice. A possibillity, but probably would not buy.

Sand Key - I'd give it a 9. I like it. I'd reserve final judgement until seeing it close up, but it would look nice next to Hillsboro (LE) & Sanibel.

Pharos - A 9. I like this one. Would display it near La Coruna. A definite buy

West Point PEI - I'd give it an 8. I like the color scheme (slightly unusual for Canada). A definite possibillity for purchase.

Half Moon Reef - A 7. It has a good look to it, but I probably would pass on this one.

Anclote Key - An 8. Again would fit in great with Hillsboro, Sanibel, American Shoal and Sand Key. A definite possibillity.

St Joseph Point - I'd give it a 7. Would look good next to Boca Grande. A maybe.

Mayport -A solid 6. Nice light. Nothing special. I'll definitely pass on this one.

Dry Tortugas - A solid 5. A nice looking light, but not special. I'll pass.

Colossus of Rhodes - I'm of two minds on this one. I give it a 4 and an 8. Can't really explain it- one minute I think it's a 4, the next an 8. I definitely need to see this one before I can say, but I'd say this is one I'd probably buy.

Chicamacomico -I'd give it a 5. I've not gotten interested in the LSS Series. Will not purchase.

Dennis

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98885 12/11/02 04:05 PM
cclighthousebuff Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I'm on autoship so the LE's will be purchased. Nevertheless, using the 1-10 scale with 10 the highest rating, my initial thoughts are:
Mayport 9 Anclote Key 4
West Point 4 Half Moon 8
Chica"whatever" 8 Pharos 10
Loggerhead Key 3 Colossas 6
Sand Key 8 St. Clair 8
St. Joseph Point 3 Southeast Block 9

Average score is 6.66. Somewhat better then "average" offering, but some disappointing pieces...but some "STARS" too. cool

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98886 12/11/02 08:41 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
Chicamacomico - 4 (non-lighthouse & small)
John, those measurements you posted are the height of the piece? Right? I wouldn't believe that the base is only 4" wide. I presume that Chicamacomico is probably close to the same size as Point Alerton (sp?).

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98887 12/11/02 09:24 PM
Ron Offline
I like them all except Pharo,s and Colossus. They are different? I will buy the rest though. smile

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98888 12/11/02 10:11 PM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
Chicamacomico is a for sure buy for me. I like the look of the Canadian piece also. Pharos and Colossus do nothing for me, Sand Key is very nice, but more than I need to spend. Loggerhead Key I like, it sort of reminds me of the old "tall towers" and those are why I started collecting in the first place.

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98889 12/12/02 01:06 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The dimension is the HEIGHT.

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98890 12/12/02 01:35 AM
C
ctlights Offline
C
I will buy Sand Key for its unique structure and the Southeast Block because I love the island and its lighthouses (but would have been much happier with a new LE of Old North Light). Frankly, what is the point of having the SE light on a moving track? So you can move it a few inches, big deal! Just another glimmick which will have little meaning to those who treasure their collectibles in a curio. Would you really want you guests to fool around with your pieces anyway?

Personally, am very disappointed in all of the Florida pieces. Why are the Youngers so down on California lighthouses...

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98891 12/12/02 12:03 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Overall, I like them but probably won't buy them all just because of space restraints. Do like the St. Clair lights, being a Great Lake fan, and I do like the authentic rendition of the fire starting in the Oak Island keepers house, (now thats a REAL glow!). Harbour Lights continues to amaze. If you're a screwpile fan, this is your year!

MIke

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98892 12/12/02 02:25 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Well I'm going to say that my favorites are the St. Clair Lights as I am a big fan of "Rodney Dangerfield" lighthouses. smile

I will probably also purchase the Southeast Block light as the only version I have of it is a spyglass. While I'm not enamoured by gimics on the HL's I can forgive it's being able to move. wink Interesting that this light joins Cape Hatteras in being another light redone as a LE.

While I am also a big fan of International Lights I'm not entirely sold on the West Point piece. I like the lighthouse but somehow the house seems just stuck on one corner of the piece. Will have to wait for Paul's detailed photos to decide on it. As far as the Pharos and Colossus pieces, hmmm, it will be interesting to see how these go over. They will probably fall into the "love them or hate them" category. While they certainly were very historical structures, I would much rather see HL produce more of the existing world lighthouses. There are so many beautiful, unique lighthouses that could be made.

Of the Florida lights I actually prefer the Mayport piece. Guess I'm just not that big of a fan of spider lights that I want to spend the money that those pieces command.

The Texas light leaves me flat, seems a bit dull looking? Maybe that's why it's the only piece that got a flag? Are those twin outhouses or what???

While I was one who was championing the cause for HL to produce a LSS, I probably won't buy this one either. Somehow it and Pt. Alleton just aren't doing it for me. No doubt at some point one of them will strike my fancy.

Of course, once I can see these new releases in person I may change my mind completely from these initial observations. While a picture may say 1000 words it may not say just 2, "buy me"! smile

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98893 12/12/02 03:28 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Since I have been wanting and requesting Harbour Lights to do Pharos, starting the first day I started collecting, I am very pleased that it is being done and at 10 inches tall it should reflect just how tall the real Pharos was..

I will of course buy them all (the 2003 HL releases not all of the Pharos), why stop now?...

After seeing the West Point lighthouse and going to their homepage, I have started planning an early Fall vacation back to Maine, Nova Scotia and perhaps stay a couple of nights at West Point Lighthouse on Prince Edward Island. It is just in the preliminary planning stages but usually we end up going where we start planning to go...

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98894 12/13/02 04:30 AM
RezmanDale Offline
I am very disappointed frown at yet another west coast snub by Harbour Lights. There are some very unique and beautiful lights that they haven't done yet from the west coast. Why keep redoing ones that have already been done confused ?

With that said there are some real nice pieces here. I realy like Old Mayport (St. Johns River) and plan to buy it. The rest are nice. Appear to have the great attention to detail we all have come to expect from Harbour Lights, but none of the others realy do it for me. Maybe SE Block Island on the move, but that's it for me.

I sure hope the second half of the year has some other lights besides Florida. If you've seen one screw pile, you've seen them all laugh . I like my Hillsboro and Sanibel but don't see the need for the others for me. At least I can start saving up for the second half of 2003.

dale

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98895 12/13/02 08:40 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Dale, ...I was kind of surprised that there were no new LE's from the West Coast in the 2003 intros. There must be a reason for it.

Could it be the West Coast Lights aren't as popular as other regions?

Could it be less HL's are sold out west than in other parts of the country?

Are there more collectors per region from other parts of the country other than the west coast?

I buy everything anyway so I too would like to see more representatives from the west coast. I do appreciate the fact that the northeast corner of the country has been well represented with HL releases over the years.

Maybe the second half of 2003 will bring what you desire.

smile Bob smile

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98896 12/13/02 12:30 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dale,

Let's hope that the West Coast will have the wonderful news that Floridians have experienced this time around. It wuold be wonderful if the West Coast would have about five lights come out in the second half of the year.

I agree with Bob that the Northeast has been well represented in the past.

I would love to see all the New England LIghts done, but I'm also realistic. We have to share!

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98897 12/13/02 12:55 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I think most od them will be fine but they missed "Bonita" again :rolleyes: . There are a few I will buy. Overall, I think most will be winners.

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98898 12/13/02 02:13 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
No Long Island lighthouses released frown , but the Florida ones look interesting.
No Glows, LSS or Ancients for me (no room)! Definitely want to see SE Block in person before buying (lucky enough to have the LE).
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98899 12/13/02 08:23 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Now that the shock is over and Mayport Light is coming out I can sit back and try to figure out how to buy them all, except the GLOWS. It's really frustrating each year to have to start all over again collecting money to fund this addiction but at least the first part of 2003 will inundate my Florida shelves in my southeasterm curio cabinet.

Rich cool

Rich
Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98900 12/14/02 05:35 PM
RRohweder Offline
Despite the fact that I currently have two public displays going, one at city hall and one in College of the Redwoods new Learning Resources Center, I think I have been provided with an opportunity to start a drastic reduction in my collecting.

I will certainly get the St. Clair Flats Lights, but with nothing from the West Coast and a serious lack of space, I won't be getting any of the others. Time for a reality check for me.
frown
Rich

Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98901 12/18/02 02:42 PM
Brent Offline
Chicamacomico LSS is a definite "YES"...'I've spent allot of time there. It'll be my first LSS, too.
Other's that I'll definitely get are:
St. Clair Channel
Pharos
West Point, PEI

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: 2003 Introductions - Reactions? #98902 12/18/02 10:08 PM
Jim Chesher Offline
I'm saving like crazy. Thought I might get a little break but looks like I'll be picking up Mayport, Dry Tortugas, Sand Key, St. Joe Point, Anclote Key, Half Moon Reef, St. Claire Channel and the Pharos. Visa will love me. wink

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 846 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users