Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Discouraged member #9878 12/26/04 01:45 PM
V
viperman2000 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Recently I posted some ads trying to purchase some Harbour Lights that have retired.I received many emails from members claiming to want to sell many pieces.After investing phone time and emails back and forth I would like to encourage people to be honest and not waste time of others.I had one person email me five times claiming to have the pieces and by the last email they had none of those I asked for.Another started out with advertising many of them ,then claimed he wanted to keep them and had sold some the week before.I have also seen the same people on Ebay bidding on them .To resell ?Fortunately I have met one or two very honest people who I wont identify other than saying thank you.I am a serious buyer and pay top dollar with no games wanted.I am not a tire kicker as I seem to be running into the opposite from the seller.I hope to share this information to help others in there search as they will be somwhat aware of what I have found.Thank you all for letting me share this with you as it is quite aggravating.I have purchased several pieces and I am very happy with evryone that I have received.In the last month to six weeks I have purchased over $2500.00 in retired pieces.

Re: Discouraged member #9879 12/26/04 02:42 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Viperman, ...Selling and buying of HL's can be very interesting, to say the least. I built a complete collection thanks to the many people I have dealt with here at the Collector Forums. I have done multiple deals with several people and individual deals with a quite a few others. I feel most fortunate to never have been stuck by anybody at the CF.

It almost sounds like you've dealt with a few people who have mixed feelings about parting with some of their more valuable pieces. My experience has lead me to put most sellers in one of the following categories:

1. Tired of HL collecting and just want to get out with as much return on their investment as possible. Usually these people have some valuable pieces that can be very hard to find.

2. Seller has nothing very valuable to offer. Most every piece was on eBay, at one time or another, at bargain pricing. They got into HL collecting as somewhat of a fad and now the thrill is gone and they want out at any investment loss.

3. Older collector that might have been on autoship with a special number. They no longer can afford an autoship because of the expense and no way to justify buying pieces and just storing them. They are out of room to keep up the habit. They are down-sizing and moving to a smaller home, apartment, or condo. They have retired and their income has been reduced. They can't physically keep up with cleaning curios and displays.

4. A seller that thinks it is a good idea to part with his or her more valuable pieces but almost instantly regrets advertising them for sale when someone contacts them and wants to buy. They second guess what they are doing and change their mind. That is their perogative.

I've been buying and selling HL's for years. I try to make a small profit but it doesn't always work. It's nice to buy low and sell a little higher but supply and demand doesn't always allow it. I've jumped on dealer closings and bought the good and the not so good pieces. I've managed to make a few people smile with good deals while still making a couple of bucks.

Is it worth it? I would say probably not, but I do enjoy it. When you figure the time you spend advertising, exchanging emails with a potential buyer, waiting for payment, bring the check or money order to the bank for cashing, packing up the piece to be shipped, bring the package to the Post Office or UPS for shipping, concern that the package will arrive okay and the customer will be happy, etc. for a small profit, well it just isn't a way to make a living for sure. You might do better picking up deposit cans along the side of the road. (lol!)

Pick who you deal with wisely. If you are curious who is great to deal with, send an email and ask. I know the first person I would recommend from the CF is Randy Kremer. I've purchased many a wonderful and rare piece from Randy and have always been more than satisfied. Randy is the best in my book!

I hope you find my reply interesting and helpful in your quest for fair business practices in dealing with HL collecting.

smile Bob smile

P.S. The biggest discrepancy I find in HL buying is the description of the condition of the piece. There are too many people who claim a piece is mint, never displayed, from a smoke-free environment, no pets lived withing two blocks of where it was stored, only removed from the box for one picture, etc. and their description is not really accurate. Let the buyer beware can certainly apply when you really don't know who you are dealing with.

Re: Discouraged member #9880 12/26/04 07:29 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I've made numerous purchases from CF members and from non-CF members recommended by a CF member without any problems and would recommend dealing with them without hesitation. Maybe I've had that experience because I don't "bargain"--if you're selling something I want and your price meets my expectation of what I'm willing to spend, the sale is made.

Even when dealing with eBay, I enter the maximum amount I'm willing to spend for an item and let Auction Sniper place the bid for me within the last 5 seconds of the auction. If I get it, great; if I don't, I wait until another one comes up for auction and bid again with a higher amount if I'm willing to increase the original figure.

Wheeling and dealing are not my idea of fun.

Sandy

Re: Discouraged member #9881 12/26/04 10:49 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Don't be discouraged. What has happened to you recently is probably a flash in the pan. I have bought and sold on the Collector's Forum for over 4 years now and have only had this type of thing happen once to me. My instance was just in the last month and it was a quoted price that was resonable for a piece I was looking for and when I agreed to the price the seller took over a week to get back to me and when the seller finally answered, the price had increased by quite a bit. I imagine that the seller after agreeing to the price decided they wanted more. I think it was Bob that said just hang in there because something else will come along and be a better deal at a better price

Rich
Re: Discouraged member #9882 12/27/04 03:25 PM
bonnebert Offline
Well said, Bob and Rich, I've purchased through the Forum and have had great success in doing so. I've learned to just wait and the right piece at the right price will always come along.

Joyce

Re: Discouraged member #9883 12/29/04 09:17 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I too was very uneasy in dealing with people on purchases when I first signed up, especially when there were low prices, but I have purchased from 3 or 4 people with no disappointments (well one kinda from someone that I contacted and they answered my questions, but never replied back when trying to purchase) so hang in there!! cool

Steve (somewhat online more regular now) smile

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: Discouraged member #9884 01/02/05 02:54 PM
V
viperman2000 Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I really haven't had any luck yet on any new contacts since post.The emails have poured in from this post.They seem to be nice people .Unfortunately nothing more than description and I will get back to you.Still hoping for the pieces.Thanks for the replies.
John.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 805 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users