Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Adapters #98629 10/17/03 02:49 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
This morning when I.O. went out I asked him to check a couple places to see what the price was for a 4.5 volt adapter for the Stratford Point Xmas Piece, since I have the 3 volt in mine.

He reported that Radio Shack wanted $16.99. He also checked Walmart and they had a variable adapter with a range of 3-12 volts for $8.36.

So if you don't have the adapters for these pieces and want them your best bet appears to be to have your dealer order them from HL at $5 each.

Just be sure to specify which one(s) you want as the lens takes the 3 volt and the Xmas piece takes the 4.5 volt.

Re: Adapters #98630 10/17/03 10:25 PM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
With AC to DC adapters there are 2 voltage ratings to consider. Both are important. Obviously the first is voltage and the second, often overlooked, is mili voltage expressed as "mv". The most expensive of the group in price range will have a high "mv" rating most often around 800mv. The cheaper ones will have low "mv" ratings some below 300mv.

What does all this mean? Well if you are using an adapter to power an item say with a motor like a portable CD player for example you would want an adapter matching recommended voltage with a high "mv"rating in the range of say 500 to 800mv.

How can we apply this to our HL needs? For the Fresnel lens using "flashlight" bulbs match the volts and choose one with a low mv rating. The bulbs will last longer. For Stratford, CT using diode type lighting and mv rating in the mid range is best. Well why is that do you ask ?

To put it in simple terms voltage is a measure of power and mili voltage is a measure of that powers intensity. the less intense the longer the Fresnel bulbs will last. The higher in intensity you go the more "smooth" and "clean" the power is and that is what the diode bulbs need but not too much.

1.Fresnel-Voltage = 3/mv = 300 or less

2.Stratford-Voltage = recommended/mv =
greater than 300 but less than 800.

You should use the supplied or available from the mfg. adapter because the mfg has in most cases taken care to match not only the voltage but the proper milivoltage. While devices that can be powered by an adapter list voltage very seldom if ever will the recommended milivotage be stated.

Correction.... mA for mili amp rather than milivolt although I have seen it expressed both ways on different adapters??

Lonnie
Re: Adapters #98631 10/17/03 11:12 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Lonnie, thanks for that information. I've printed out your message with the info and will check it out accordingly. My Boston fresnel is blinking at the rate of 12-13 flashes in ten seconds (with batteries). Much too fast for my liking. I'll check ti out with an adapter and see if there is any difference.

Bert

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Adapters #98632 12/22/03 04:33 AM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
Bringing this one back for Mombo and Judy

Lonnie
Re: Adapters #98633 12/22/03 04:37 AM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
With Stratford the only caution is that diode bulbs are very sensitive to static electricity.
Hint.... plug the adapter into the lighthouse before plugging into the wall outlet.

FYI

Lonnie
Re: Adapters #98634 12/22/03 10:37 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
In my reply under the Stratford Posting I referred to current and that is what Lonnie is referring to when he talks about milliamp. Get an adapter with a lower voltage and milliamp/current rating and give it a try. Your best bet would be an adapter that you can return if it does not flash to your liking. Take your lighthouse to the store and try it there is also another solution.

Rich

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users