Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97817 08/27/07 02:38 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Tony did share with everyone one that the last LE to be released for 2007 will actually be a set. The 5 lights shown on the current Pacific Lighthouse Stamp set will be released as a set of numbered Little Lights contained in a special wooden box. This will be an edition of 1500 sets.

There is also the possibility that one LE scheduled for 2008 may be released a little early...

We had a set of ornaments at Door County. They do look fantastic and there were lots of good comments. I made the decision to leave the set in their nice plastic containers so that they wouldn't get banged up, but you can easily see them thru the container. When you see them in person you will like them. The bottom of the ornament is flat so you should be able to also display them on a shelf or mantel. There will be two sole source ornaments offered this year. One will be Key West, the other one Sea Pines. If you want one of those two you will have to order them from the respective lighthouse (or in one case, the gift shop that looks like a light house . . . sorry, couldn't pass that one up . . .)

After we had done the drawings and given away prizes Tony decided to give away two sets of ornaments so I drew two more tickets. Tony was going to have sets sent to both the winners, but I kind of put him on the spot and announced that the first one of the two winners to put a $10 donation to Pottawatomie Light in my hand would get to take home the set we had on display. The husband grabbed his wife's purse and headed up front. Fortunately she joined him before he had the contents of her purse distributed everywhere. They now have bragging rights as being the first HL collectors to have a set of the new ornaments.

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97818 08/27/07 08:25 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
There is also the possibility that one LE scheduled for 2008 may be released a little early...
Dave, Thanks for the news!!!

Is this possible early release a true LE or another limited LLOM?

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97819 08/27/07 08:30 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It is a full sized piece.

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97820 08/27/07 08:49 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
vhappy vhappy vhappy

I'm not going to ask what it is, but would like to know why it may be released early?

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97821 08/28/07 01:12 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Does anyone know the phone number to call to order the Key West and Sea Pines ornaments? Are they the same shape as the ones we can order from our dealer? I think Portland Head was one in the set.
Judy

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97822 08/29/07 08:55 PM
buoyhunter_190 Offline
"The husband grabbed his wife's purse and headed up front. Fortunately she joined him before he had the contents of her purse distributed everywhere. They now have bragging rights as being the first HL collectors to have a set of the new ornaments. "

That would be me! How the story went is I ran out of money in my wallet giving it to all of the raffle tickets. When the number was called and the offer made I looked at Kim and said give me $10 quick! She looked at me like I wasn't serious.

I said forget it and off with the purse I went! The problem is when I made it to the front she didn't have the money in her wallet but "a special" place I didn't know about. Fortunately she joined me before the contents went flying.

So we have the lighthouses. They are in the curio cabinet and I also had them signed.

vhappy

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97823 09/07/07 03:14 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Lighthouse Depot now has a photo of the Pacific Stamp Set:

(The stamps are disproportionately large; the lights are actually Little Light size.)

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97824 09/07/07 05:24 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
What am I supposed to do with the box? I will pass on yet another one............ Or maybe I will buy it and Elizabeth could grow an herb garden in it. Another thought would be to spray paint it black and stencil it "Barking Rocks, may they rest in pieces" and use it in a Halloween display.

imho

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97825 09/07/07 06:01 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'm not an active collector of LLOM, but I think this set is quite attractive and I really like the wooden box. I'll probably keep the pieces inside and cover the opening with saran wrap or plexiglass and display them on top of one of my curio cabinets or on top of the wall cabinet I have for my LLOM British Isles Collection.

Anybody know if there'll be stamp holder, or if the stamps will be included with the set? That would be a nice addition.

Sandy

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97826 09/07/07 11:22 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Here is a copy of the "sell sheet" sent to the dealers. Tony said they hope to have the sets to dealers by early November. The set will all have special backstamps celebrating the stamp set. Tony mentioned that the lights that are currently existing LLs will have a more vibrant color to them. A set of the five stamps will be included.

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97827 09/08/07 05:47 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Harbour Lights is coming perilously close to "breaking the bank." Yet another nearly $100 item. I may just call it quits at the end of this year...I'm tired of being bled to death by the overproduction. For that $100, I would rather have had a decent, new LE version of St. George's Reef or Umpqua River, rather than more overpriced knick-knacks packaged in a box that is a dead-ringer for the wooden, slide-top boxes from China that are sold at Hobby-Lobby for $3.00.

Sorry to be so grumpy, but...ye gods...what with the LE "Little Lights" and other stuff, there is no hope of maintaining a complete collection with no gaps. anger

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97828 09/08/07 10:11 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thank you, Dave, for the "sell sheet".

I must disagree with Thompson and agree 100% with Sandy. I think the Pacific Stamp Issue is beautiful and captivating! It's a terrific idea.

But Danny is also correct with his "break the bank" analysis. In fact, we are all possibly being bled to potential extinction.

However, similar to the present condition of the Stock Market, we will either rise to triumphantly conquer the current crisis, or tumble into the horrendous depths of dismal despair.

What will happen? Who knows? But both Sandy and I will most certainly be buying the Pacific Stamp Issue and hope and pray for the best future possible.

bobo

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97829 09/09/07 12:00 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm with BoBo and Sandy. I am looking forward to the Stamp Set and would much rather "waste my kid's inheritance" on something new and imaginative such as the Stamp Set then on a remake of a LE. I've never had a problem adding something new to my collection but buying a remake of a LE, however popular it may be, grinds my jaws. I think the reason why I've enjoyed collecting more over the past 2 years is the introduction of items by HL that are imaginative and perk my interests. I applaud HLs for having the guts to try the Barking Rock Lighthouse and the Hospital Point Lighthouse with the plane. While Barking Rock did not excite me when I first saw it's picture, I fell for it when I saw it in person. Hospital Point with the plane also did nothing for me until I got it this week and put it together. When my wife saw it she said "what a neat looking lighthouse" and then I started really examining it. It is quite "neat".

But to each his own, and to this end, HLs will never please all the collectors. They just have to please enough collectors to sell out the edition size and I would say this is starting to happen by reaching out to a wider collector base. Those collectors that don't want to go with the flow have the choice to buy or not buy.

Rich
Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97830 09/09/07 01:40 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Although I don't usually collect the LLOM I am finding myself buying them lately--Point Aux Barques, Thomas Point and Pottawatomie.

I love the stamps and the LL so I know I'll break down and order a set. Sandy has a good idea about putting plexiglass on the box and displaying the lights in the box. Since I am running out of curio space, the box idea might just be another way to display some favorites.

Judy

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97831 09/09/07 02:04 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I think the Pacific Stamp Set is a fantastic idea. I have been promoting special limited edition LLOM since the first LLOM came out. LLOM should not get in the way of collecting L.E.’s. No collector of Limited editions should feel like they have to collect the limited edition LLOM. The special LLOM like the stamp series is made for the collector of Harbour Light that want collectables that once they are retired should have a higher price than retail. Because of their size the LLOM is a easy sell and once some collectors start getting into collecting limited editions LLOM’s we may find some of them hard to find, thus creating a secondary market demand. I would rather see a production of 1000 to 1200 for the stamp series, but because these are done up pretty neat, I think it will not take long for them to be a sell out.

I plan on getting one.

DANIEL
Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97832 09/09/07 11:26 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
The Pacific Stamp Set is attractive and somewhat unique with its wooden box and stamps. I'll be passing on it though. I don't collect LLOM. I must admit it's a great thing for those who do.

smile Bob smile

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97833 09/09/07 11:34 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Since sometimes the only pat on the back is the one you give yourself...I'm going to take some credit for the production of the Pacific Stamp Set set. cool
I initiated this idea with Tony with a series of email correspondence back in early January. I am pleased as punch that HL heard me and listened.

As for the set, I LOVE IT! Harry did a terrific job!

Only regret...wish we had a similar set for the Southeastern Stamp lights.

Thanks Tony!

Judy

Judy
Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97834 09/09/07 01:49 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice looking set of LLOM's !!!

I'm in the group that will pass as I too don't collect LLOM's.

I'm already aware that my HL budget is limited and space will max out at some point.

My goal is to collect only one version of a lighthouse. I am siding more and more with those who don't want anymore LE repeats, even though this set is LLOM's and not LE's. But I'm all for any updated version released as a GLOW. I would love to see a St George Reef Glow or a Five Fingers LE.

As for my wishes for an accurate version of Barnegat or Sandy Hook, I'll have to checkout the Dandury Mint version. These are the only two HL's that the GLOW didn't correct the LE version.

This is just my opinion, I am happy for those who are buying the set. smile

Stan M
Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97835 09/11/07 05:34 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I think they look great and like the packaging idea. I am ordering a set today and look for ward to receiving it.

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97836 09/11/07 07:24 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well Folks,

I just ordered the Pacific Lighthouse Stamp Set. Yes, a tad on the expensive side, but I think they are beautiful. And I like the box.

bobo

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97837 09/11/07 11:32 PM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Delighted with the Pacific Lighthouse Stamp Set with decorative box.

Have only collected the Great Lakes LLOM's in the past...and will own this set because of the United States Postal Service stamp set...what a great match!!

Have stored the Great Lakes empty LLOM's boxes, and will keep this wooden box also.

Just wondering:

If these five Pacific lighthouses were made without a wooden box, there would be a blue LLOM box for each light, correct?????

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97838 09/12/07 12:48 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Probably, but they could also have made some special cardboard box to hold all five. Tony mentioned during a conversation that the wood box ended up to be as cost effective as making boxes for each of the five pieces. Also mentioned that the piece will be autoshipped, but I notice on the sell sheet that there is a LL number assigned to the set - LL286.

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97839 09/13/07 12:46 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
One would think such a special wooden box would be more valuable in the eys of our fellow collectors than the usual cardboard boxes. Great idea, I say! It seems more "collectible".

smile Bob smile

Re: Last LE for 2007 . . . and the ornaments #97840 09/13/07 04:26 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I love the box, I think this was a brilliant idea!

I understand the "breaking the bank" comments, BUT...

Nobody HAS to buy these things.

I want the LL286 Pacific Lighthouses set, but then I collect primarily LLOMs and of course we collect stamps. So as far as I am concerned "Well done Harbour Lights"!
applaud

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 620 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users