Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
There’s Gold in Northern Florida #97792 03/19/02 01:18 AM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The golden Mark Twain Light seemed to be a big hit At the St Augustine lighthouse festable and the Jacksonville signing event. I haven’t seen crowds like this at a drawing in years. Collectors use to come and go when it came to events. Times have change as collectors are realizing that there is a new Harbour light line of collectables that is growing in recognition and popularity. And now anybody has a chance of owning one of Harbour lights most scarce limited edition. The gold plated pewter lighthouse event piece. By no means can it compare with the super low production of the St George Florida (30) or the Fort Thompkins (10 per season). But this gives any collector a chance without the long trip to a regional.

Bill told us at the Jacksonville signing that the women that won the golden event in St Aug. was approached with a offer of $500, then she received a second offer of $700 from someone else. She refused both offers. Then someone asked a chance to bid on it if she decides to sell it.

Since there is going to be a hundred of these floating around, we are probably going to see some of these event piece on ebay and the forum. It will be very interesting to see what collectors are going to be willing to pay for them.

Daniel

DANIEL
Re: There’s Gold in Northern Florida #97793 03/19/02 01:36 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
If the people hung around 'till the very end so they would be in the running for a gold tower, I would say that HL achieved its goal. They kept buyers in the store, giving the store a chance to move more product and the buyer to earn more chances. Like it or not, the way they have chosen to promote signings seems to be off to the start they wanted.

From your post title, I thought maybe one was now being displayed in your home.....

Dave

Re: There’s Gold in Northern Florida #97794 03/19/02 02:25 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
They may have achieved a goal but it also steered me from going to the St. Augustine event and the Jacksonville event. Scratch one collector off that would have been at those events. In the past that would have been money for both of those dealers. Now that I am required to purchase to enter, forget it. I took my one chance of the year in Brunswick.

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 03-18-2002).]

Re: There’s Gold in Northern Florida #97795 03/20/02 09:56 AM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Sean
I totally agree with how it takes the fun out of going to the events, if you are required to buy something to enter.
But the St Augustine event had no requirements. Every body was aloud to enter.
At the Edgewater Jacksonville event, you had to buy the event piece for a chance for the golden event piece. But there were other drawings for everyone (but children). I even won another Society member kit. I gave it to my daughter.

Daniel

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited 03-20-2002).]

DANIEL
Re: There’s Gold in Northern Florida #97796 03/20/02 02:51 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
To enter the drawing for the Gold Hanibal you are required to purchase one Limited Edition from the dealer for each entry. This is a requirement set by Harbour Lights.

Re: There’s Gold in Northern Florida #97797 03/20/02 10:57 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Sorry Sean, you are wrong about the St. Augustine Event. I bought an event piece and when I asked what the rules were about entering, they said that anyone that attended the event was allowed to enter whether they bought a lighthouse or not. The only thing they said was please only one entry per person and you must be present to win. My wife, son, daughter-in-law and I entered even though I was the only one that bought a piece. Needless to say I did not win, but I was going to trade it off anyway because I don't want to get into the gold. I would much rather have some "blue water" pieces. St. Augustine also said it was the stores choice on how to enter. St. Augustine was more interested in making the festival a success then making a score off of buyers I think.

Rich

Rich
Re: There’s Gold in Northern Florida #97798 03/20/02 11:39 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Sean, in St Louis one store only required that you purchased something... which included Little Lights. I tried to buy a set of the 2001 ornaments but they only had 3 of the 4 and I had still had an entry. One of the other stores wanted people to buy the event piece for an entry. Apparently it is being left up to to store with the only requirement that was the same at all of the signings in St Louis being that you had to be present to win.

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 03-20-2002).]

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: There’s Gold in Northern Florida #97799 03/21/02 12:15 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Here's a link to the rules, I didn't make them up. This is what I had as a guideline. If St. Augustine chose to let you enter without purchasing good for them. However I had to base a 7 hour drive on what Harbour Lights publishes. And it says nothing about stores having a choice. I had read elsewhere here in another thread that you had to purchase an event piece, two fresnels and Old St. Auggie to take the cruise. Not much of a score there......hmmm?
http://harbourlights.com/events/2002/gold.htm

Re: There’s Gold in Northern Florida #97800 03/21/02 02:15 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I have to agree with Sean on his read of the rules.

It states to qualify for either drawing you must purchase a Limited Edition Harbour Lights Item.

It states for Store Event sthat this can be at either the time of the event or the time leading up to the event.

Anyone reading this would logically assume that a purchase is required, not reccomended, and it can only be a Limited Edition- not a LLOM or a GLOW.

Of course this could only be part of the information needed to make an informed decision.

Dennis

Re: There’s Gold in Northern Florida #97801 03/21/02 10:24 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How much would a cruise like that cost? If I was in St. Augustine (which I wasn't) and if I needed those pieces (which I do), I would think a "free" cruise would be a good deal!

Heck, I'm going to buy those pieces any way! Might as well get a cruise out of it!

Just my opinion!

Re: There’s Gold in Northern Florida #97802 03/22/02 01:50 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I think you missed my point Randy. I have the event piece, I get all the others from my local dealer along with all the other limited editions that are released during the year. I simply don't need duplicates and I'm not sure I would enjoy sitting at an event knowing that I have been excluded from a drawing. And before it's mentioned again I know St. Augustine did it differently than Harbour Lights published, but at the time, thats all I had to go by.

Re: There’s Gold in Northern Florida #97803 03/22/02 02:50 AM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I see what you are saying Sean. Its great that you are loyal to one daeler. I don't have auto ship, so I usually buy from a few different dealers, usually in my area. They know I buy from a few different stores and I have bought extras over the years to sell or trade. If I had an opportunity to get a cruise for buying four lights, I'll do it! I think it was a great selling ploy for the St. Augustine gift shop! Plus it means more money for the lighthouse for maint. and upkeep! Given the chance to buy from a lighthouse gift shop and help out the light, I'll do it everytime! Just ask my wife about the money I have spent in Ponce over the last ten years! OUCH!

Re: There’s Gold in Northern Florida #97804 03/23/02 11:39 AM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Sean
I wouldn’t have traveled 7hours to the St Augustine event either. I think the Festable event this year was great if you were a hour or two away. I felt the event was not as good as last year. Last year was the Breakfast with Bill, which we enjoyed very much. I too felt that the price for the cruise was too steep. I all ready have those same pieces coming to me on an auto shipment (except the event piece). I have other commitments with an other dealer for all the LE’s. I am not in to buying extras and then trying to sell them.

Randy
The reason that some of us only buy from one dealer isn’t necessary loyalty (thought it very may be). It is usually that we get the same low number.

I think that the reason that the purchase of the Mark Twain event was not required for the special event drawing was that this was not a normal signing event. AT a signing event, every one are Harbour lights collectors and are there for the event. The St Augustine Signing had mostly Lighthouse lovers and not necessary Harbour light lighthouse lovers. Because of the free drawing for the special event piece, many people where introduced to Harbour lights.

Daniel

DANIEL

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,686 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users