Next Thread
Print Thread
Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97701 12/15/03 11:28 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Perhaps one of you can answer this question for me:

Why does this lens cost $154, which is a considerable amount above what the past lenses retailed for?.

Another question:

Will this be the most expensive piece offered this year?

smile Bob smile

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97702 12/16/03 01:54 AM
Medicman Offline
I also wondered about that Bob. I could see an increase in price and pay over $100 for a "First Order" and the larger size... but this being a Fourth Order, it can't be the size.
Could it be the brass doors behind it? Brass isn't that expensive.....
Hard to tell if it was in the production or what it is that warrants the higher price. Guess we need to send a spy into the home office for the real reason.

Don't they say, "that size really doesn't matter...." smile

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97703 12/16/03 09:52 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I figure the cost is in the workmanship and the brass. It looks like it's worth it based on the pictures.

Rich
Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97704 12/21/03 02:43 PM
cclighthousebuff Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Quote:
It must be the workmanship and the brass.
I hope you are correct because the pictures I've seen do not cause me to be excited. I withholding judgement until I see the piece first-hand.

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97705 12/21/03 06:01 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
It certainly appears to be the workmanship! If one wants quality, one must sometimes have to pay for it. HL has certainly done well in the quality department. I also want to wait and see one in person before I decide. Knowing how I do things though, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to have one in my collection when they come out. The quality appears to be there on what I can see at this point.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97706 12/21/03 06:49 PM
Brent Offline
$154 still seems like a lot of money! I can't imagine it being THAT MUCH better quality than the other lenses that HL has produced! eek

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97707 12/21/03 11:26 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Well, I haven't had much luck with the last lens that came out, the 2nd order. I ordered the adapter for it since the batteries don't last long in the lenses. Now after a couple of nights the bulb has blown. $90 was more than enough to pay for that one. This is the 2nd lens I've had whose bulb is shot. Do I dare to continue to run the Stratford Point piece??? No more lighted models for me! frown

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97708 12/22/03 01:57 AM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
Mombo,

The Stratford piece uses diodes rather than "flash light" bulbs. The diode lights
should last many many years to come. The
Theta D to A processor in my studio Audio system
is made to run non stop in that you never unplug it. The indicator lights are diodes. I have had the processor for 10 years and the lights still light after almost 24 , 7 operation over that 10
year period. PLUG THAT STRATFORD IN and ENJOY !

Lonnie
Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97709 12/22/03 03:01 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Mombo, I connected my 2nd Order to an adapter for the first time last night, and the bulb blew after about five minutes. I wonder if this is a common occurence. The lens flashes way too fast as well. Hard to enjoy it...more of a migraine maker.

Glad to know the difference where Stratford Point is concerned. I was also worried that the bulbs would burn out. It's also a pleasure to watch that beacon flash...much more realistic. I've had it on every evening now for a week.

Judy

Judy
Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97710 12/22/03 07:53 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It's interesting to read the posts about various adapters and experiences with lighting HL's lenses and the new Christmas piece. I've yet to light any of them. As a matter of fact, I have no intention of lighting any of them.

I try to think of my HL's as collectibles and not a novelty. Yes, collectible fans, I consider adding the ability to illuminate a novelty. It doesn't do anything to enhance the collectibility of a piece. As a matter of fact, I wish they would leave the limited editions the way they have always been, unlightable. They can do whatever they want with the GLOW's and other HL products, but please leave the limited editions the way they always have been.

That is just my opinion and is not meant to be too critical of Harbour Lights' efforts to bring new innovations to their line of products.

smile Bob smile

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97711 12/22/03 10:26 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
My sentiments exactly Bob. I have never even checked the lights with batteries to see if they work. I consider the lenses part of my unlightable collection and they are intermingled with the the unlightable pieces. For those unfortunate ones that have had lights burn out, you might want to go into a Radio Shack Store and ask them if they have a bulb of the same base style with a higher voltage or current rating. The bulb won't burn as bright but should last longer. It sounds like the timing circuit that causes the bulb to flash may be putting out a voltage spike as it fires and this may be too much for the bulb. Sort of like when you have a power failure and when the power is restored and initially comes on there is an instantaneous voltage spike for a second. That's why some people use a constant voltage regulator on their computers (especially in this neck of the woods of Florida). The other option would be to use a lower voltage/current adapter so the light will also burn less bright but the firing spike would also be less. Just a thought from an old retired CWO Electronics Technician.

Rich
Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97712 12/22/03 12:51 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob, of course it is a matter of personal preference.

However...just turn Stratford Point on for five minutes and watch it. You never to need to turn it on again if you don't want too...but you are missing an experience that will magically transport you to your favorite memories of a real lighthouse.

Judy

Judy
Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97713 12/22/03 02:21 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the additional replies from the electrical gurus here and in the "Adapter" thread!

I do now recall Lonnie's previous post stating that the Stratford Point piece should stay lit for a long time.

I also prefer the HL's to just sit there and look nice, not perform tricks. But it would be nice to have the lenses work properly for those who choose to light them. I figured I had the battery problem licked with the adapter. I had the Xmas piece and the lens plugged into a power strip with one other item so that the whole works would be easy to turn on and off. Now I have to go out and find a longer lasting bulb? It would have been nice to have gotten one with the lens in the beginning. At the very least the lenses should come with some sort of caution as to their short "shelf life".

As to the original topic here, the new lens that will cost $154.....I don't think so.

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97714 12/22/03 07:54 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'm strickly on batteries. I put batteries in when I want to see the lenses work and take them out as soon as I'm done. I don't want to see battery corrosion after I forget to take them out.

My Stratford is also strickly batteries. Works fine and again I see no need for an adapter as it will not be lit up for any great period of time. Just an opinion, humble as it may be.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97715 12/22/03 10:49 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Mombo, make sure that you adapter for the lens you sre using is 3 volts... the Christmas Lighthouse takes a 4.5 volt adapter but the lens is a 3 volt adapter..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97716 12/23/03 01:41 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I have the correct adapter Paul. It was the Stratford Point piece that I had the wrong one for. The little box the 3.0 adapter comes in is labeled "For Lens". The 4.5 volt that I got to replace the incorrect one for Stratford Point is labeled "For Glow".

You kindly posted this info for us way back. Somehow I didn't get across to the dealer that there were two different adapters I wanted.

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97717 01/21/04 09:28 AM
Stainz Offline
Rich, I had to see what 'circuit' you were referring to... By golly, there isn't one! The 650 flashes the same way our older Christmas tree bulbs did - a thermal switch inside the bulb opens the circuit after it heats up, closing it after it cools. I 'assume', a dangerous thing to do, I am sure, that the two newest Fresnels I have are similarly equipped, while the 651 has just a regular bulb.

That thermal switch and filament have a finite life - and, rated at 2.5V @ .3A, so would the batteries. Mine are seldom 'lit'. One must wonder where they got that bulb... I doubt that RS will have it. Perhaps an electronics parts jobber, a la Jameco or Mouser, will have them. Is that the same bulb as the last two came with? Mine are on my top shelf... and would require moving some items to retrieve. I wasn't aware of a wall plug adapter for them... recall that my local dealers dropped H-L.

Now, back to that new lens. I doubt that it will be that much better than the current ones. Brass just isn't that expensive. I will reserve final judgement until I see one in person, although I don't know 'when or where' that will be! Realistically, how much assembly is there on one of these lens? The base is cast as is the lens on the ones I have, very little metal is included. Of course, overhead and the limited production numbers may come into play. Sadly, I saw the 650/651 lens reduced by as much as 75% at a dealer who was closing out his H-L... I hope whoever got them enjoys them!

Stainz

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97718 01/21/04 12:04 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Althought I do like the looks of it, I don't plan on buying the new lens. Way to much money for me, I'd rather buy a couple more L.E.'s. The novelty of the lenses is kind of wearing off for me. I like them, have the first five, but I collect lighthouses, and the lenses take up valuable and sparce shelf space. The only way I'll by this one is if it sits on my dealers shelf for a long time and she decides to cut me a deal, and even then I'll have to think about it. Once I run out of shelf space, the lenses are going back into their boxes I'm afraid.

Mike

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97719 01/21/04 10:26 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Sadly, I saw the 650/651 lens reduced by as much as 75% at a dealer who was closing out his H-L... I hope whoever got them enjoys them!
Hi Stainz, ...I would have bought them in a heartbeat for that discount. Have you been following the lenses offered on eBay lately? Some of them, for some unknown reason, have been bringing big bucks well over retail.

I can never figure out why an item goes for big bucks one week and the next time the same piece is offered it hardly draws a bid.

confused Bob confused

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97720 01/22/04 12:43 PM
bonnebert Offline
Kim has the lens at Winter Lights, and I must say it is a beauty. She did tell our members at our collector's club meeting in November that the lens are the hardest to make. Maybe the price is high because of the brass doors that actually open and close. I don't know, but seeing it convinced me to go ahead and add it to my wish list with my dealer.

Joyce

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97721 01/22/04 02:18 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hey Joyce, ....Is the new lens any larger than the lenses HL has already produced? I'm kind of curious as to its approximate size compared to the others.

smile Bob smile

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97722 01/24/04 03:12 PM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
I am buying this one...... PERIOD!
laugh

Lonnie
Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97723 01/24/04 05:41 PM
bonnebert Offline
Bob, I would say it is about the same size as the others that have been made in height. It is a little wider, but not much. I really liked it.

Joyce

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97724 01/24/04 07:47 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I will definitely be buying it to add to all the other lenses I purchased through my autoship. It may have a hefty price tag as compared to the other lenses, but it is a limited edition, and I buy one of each.

smile Bob smile

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97725 06/21/04 10:08 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I received HL 673, the Fourth Order Fresnel Lens today. The HL box was quite large and initially I didn't know what to expect as I opened it up. Once the cover was open and the top half of the styrofoam mold was removed, I observed a very well wrapped lens and base similar in size to previous lenses.

I removed it from the box and took off the protective wrapping. I carefully looked it over and found it to be a little better made than previous lens offerings. Even the fake cherrywood base seemed to have a couple of extra coats of laquer on it.

The bottom line is I like it. It is exceptionally well done. I do have to throw in a "but". The price is too high as compared to previous lenses. $154 is just too much of a retail price for one of these lenses. I doubt they will sell out and retire quickly. If I wasn't on autoship, I may have passed on this one not because it isn't well done, but because it is priced too high.

smile Bob smile

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97726 07/19/04 06:28 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I finally received my HL 673, the Fourth Order Fresnel Lens today. True, it is rather on the expensive side. But in the defense of Bill & Company, the lens is extremely well made. And what I like best is the fact that the on/off switch is on the side of the cherrywood base. That eliminates the problem of picking up the lens and putting it down again -- thus minimizing the possibility of breakage. Love it! smile

Bob

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97727 07/20/04 12:04 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
True, it is rather on the expensive side. But in the defense of Bill & Company, the lens is extremely well made. And what I like best is the fact that the on/off switch is on the side of the cherrywood base. That eliminates the problem of picking up the lens and putting it down again -- thus minimizing the possibility of breakage. Love it!
The lens is well made but you could have purchased two LE's for the price of one lens. All my lenses are NBL (never been lit). It's nice they made the on/off switch handy for those who use it.

I dislike having switches or "plug-ins" along the lower edge of my HL's. I think it detracts from the overall appeal of the piece. I respect HL's right to offer new improved products such as lighted pieces, but prefer the old standard pieces instead.

smile Bob smile

Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97728 07/21/04 12:30 AM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
I received the lens last week, we wanted it mostly because we have the others. That said, we like the piece and even plugged it in! My dealer must think its cost is too much, also- I had a nice discount deducted from my bill!!

Bud
Re: Hereford Fourth Order Lens #97729 07/21/04 12:43 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bud,

Unfortunately my dealer is not quite so generous. You're lucky. Wish that I were.

Bob

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,351 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users