Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
the new releases #97381 06/12/04 09:39 AM
C
ctlights Offline OP
OP Offline
C
The second half of the year releases can be seen via a link under "Rumor Mill", Any hints...

Let me be the first to say that 2004 seems to be a switch in Younger& Associates policy towards Limited Edition Collectibles. As we have seen the values of our collections plummet on EBAY and prices dropped on the forum marketplace, one can point to the fact that the company is now changing policy about LE's.

The new releases include two previous NO-NO'S.

1) Sea Girt - This "society" only piece is now offered as a "GLOW" (There goes my charter membership!)

2)Bodie Island Christmas Piece - previously this was a "retired" LE. Guess it won't be long before Coquille River lights up!

Of course we were already set up with the release of St. Augustine, previously an LE, now justified in the last Legacy as "a new take on the original". (Huh?, this is how we treat our valued customers?)

Any of this of concern to anybody?

Re: the new releases #97382 06/12/04 10:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not at all.
I have always said that Harbour Lights is a company that is in business to make a profit.
I am in the business of collecting lighthouses because I like them and the history that is associated with the Lighthouse Service.
I buy the pieces I like and don't buy the ones that I don't like. It is that simple. Every piece that they produce that I like, adds to my collection which is displayed in my home for my enjoyment.

So enjoy your collection smile and don't worry about the secondary market or the resale value down the road.

Life is too short.

Re: the new releases #97383 06/12/04 11:07 AM
T
Tim3167 Offline
T
These newer versions don't bother me at all either. To be honest I'd much rather have Harbour Lights do what it takes to mantain their business than to end up not making ANY new pieces because the company no longer exists. (whatever happened to Cheryl Spencer Collins??)

Re: the new releases #97384 06/12/04 01:54 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
We've had discussions in the past on whether or not Harbour Lights could release 'new' versions of previously issued-and-retired limited editions or not.

Other examples:
Southeast Block on the Move
Cape Hatteras on the Move

I couldn't find the original thread I started with the approximate title of "Could Harbour Lights reissue retired limitied editions...", but here are the threads that came up.

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000006

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000918

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000005

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000093

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000299

Re: the new releases #97385 06/12/04 04:48 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I think what Harbour lights is doing concerning the remake of Bodie as a Christmas piece and Sea girt as a glow is acceptable and needed. Harbour lights has to make the popular lights if they are going to stay in business. The smart thing that Harbour lights is doing is that the remakes are lighted and fall into a different category than the originals L.E’s.
Harbour Lights as I have said before will and is using special edition for remakes of popular lighthouses.

Yes, there are still some popular lighthouses out there to make but they are not in the same league as Bodie and Sea Girth.
laugh

DANIEL
Re: the new releases #97386 06/12/04 05:10 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'm happy that Sea Girt is a GLOW, but then, that's obvious.

I found Bodie a dissapointing Xmas piece. I was hoping for a little lesser known light...Bodie is too major. Something like Crossover or Stratford...something not many know of. I think that the base is too small for the tower, too. Besides, it never snows that much in Nags Head anyway. :rolleyes: I think this was already one, but East Quoddy is the only major light I think should be an Xmas piece, due to its presentile design characteristics.

I can see a change in HL...it's the same thing I'm seeing in Land Rover...they are pulling away from their traditions to become more of what is wanted.

Land Rover is replacing my beloved Discovery with a new Honda Element-style box called the "LR3". In the rest of the world, it will be the Discovery 3, but here they think people find LR3 more adventuresome than Discovery. They also have added about twenty million little gimmicks that are sure to break when you go over the curb out of the dealer lot. It is such a far cry even from 1999-2004 Discovery Series IIs. But this is what people want. Not many Land Rover owners take their vehicles off-road. Therefore, they can make less worthy vehicles and let us who care buy the older Discoverys. They have broken many traditions to sell the vehicles that must be sold. People just care about the stigma attached to the Land Rover name.

HL has a similar problem. They have two problems. 1) There are fewer people who want to buy their products than before and 2) many people are getting bored of the static pieces that us who are more dedicated love. Therefore, they have to break the bonds of tradition to sell pieces. We still have LEs, but we also have LLOM accompanying them to bring in extra revenue. They reduced the edition sizes this run too, assumingly to try to boost sales by more limited production. GLOWs that GLOW are all in the same catergory. As are rereleasing Society LEs as GLOWs. I think that the new GLOWs are not as nice as the old ones, personally, but I am a traditionalist. Mr. I-Want-A-Souvenier-of-My-Visit-to-Sea-Girt wants something that will be a conversation piece on his mantle, not a dust collector.

It's sad that this happens to so many great companies. Not just the two examples I cited above. Everywhere. It dissapoints me. I would much rather drive a 1994 Discovery than a 2005 LR3 any day.

Re: the new releases #97387 06/12/04 05:57 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Greg
I agree with you about change.
I drive a 1988 Bronco II
It is tuff and simple and keeps on running. Why change.

However, as you said Harbour Lights must change, but you and I do not have to.
I still collect Harbour lights but have quit collecting the new ones. Maybe a Florida light or something that strikes my fancy but other than that, I collect the old ones.
I do not care for the lighted Glows but I think most novice out there do and it is a smart move For Harbour lights to make them.

I am trying to collect all of the variations of the first 40. It is more fun and I think they will retain their value. I do not care for all the pewter and plastic that the new ones have. I feel that a figurine should be made out of just porcelain. At this time, I am trying to complete my collection of all Canadians. I am also collecting the different felt colors.

DANIEL
Re: the new releases #97388 06/12/04 06:47 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Greg,

One point I need to make. It does snow in Nags Head. Wasn't it just last winter when they had 12 inches of snow in one day?

All I can say is "OH YEAH" I am going to get me one of those Bodie Islands!!! I think this is the best Christmas piece in a while, but then again I am biased!!!!!

Eric
Re: the new releases #97389 06/12/04 08:02 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Hey, I'm an avid HL LE collector, and that will not stop me. I WILL buy the 2004 Christmas piece!

In fact, I can't wait for it to arrive. It's been two years in the making, and I am estatic. Actually, I believe any of you would be, if the Christmas piece chosen happened to be one that was in your own back yard, or one that was especially dear to your heart. Do I care if you buy it? No. But don't be so quick to put it down, just because it's not something that strikes your fancy. There are plenty of HL fans that are extremely happy to see this as a Christmas piece.

As to Harbour Lights making items that the public will purchase...why shouldn't they? That's the reason they are in business, and a successful company to stay successful must change with the times. Business 101.

Greg, if you're driving at the ripe old age of 14, I hope it is on private property and with responsible? adult supervision. Also, you are a bit young to declare yourself a traditionalist or anything else. You still have quite a few years ahead of you before reaching adulthood. Enjoy your youth...one of these days you'll wish you still had it.

As to snow...of course it snows on the Outer Banks. Duh!

Judy

Judy
Re: the new releases #97390 06/12/04 10:36 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Is that really a ghost above the door on the New Presque Isle piece when it's Old Presque Isle that's supposedly haunted???? Oh my.........

http://www.lhdigest.com/graphics/skudetail/42313.jpg

(I can't get the HL preview page to load but would be interested in reading the write-up on this one if someone could post it???)

Re: the new releases #97391 06/12/04 11:43 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
OK...looks like everyone needs clarification of my post. I obviously wasn't very clear in my speaking.

Don't worry, Judy, I don't drive...I just have an intense interest in the Land Rover brand. I mean by traditionalist that I like when things stick to tradition and echo their predeccesors, instead of something newfangled. Maybe it was the wrong word choice. I hope my definition helps.

I'm sorry about what I said about Bodie--I just realized that the piece I was thinking about when I worte that was not the actual piece. The piece I was thinking of I don't think even exists. I was picturing an oversized version of the tower with a base that barely held the tower, and no outbuildings, not even the little storage shed in the front. I have NO idea how I created an entire HL in my head. :rolleyes: I REALLY like the real thing. It is a job well done by HL. One of the most detailed pieces I have seen.

By saying that I feel Bodie was not a good choice for the Xmas piece, I was again using my "traditionalist" (for lack of a better word...something'll come to me) feelings. Usually, there is a less well known light as the Christmas piece. But maybe people didn't buy lesser-known lights. All I know is that Bodie turned out great! Buisinesswise, it had to be done. And now we can prove that it DOES snow below Virginia!

Re: the new releases #97392 06/13/04 12:35 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Greg

It even snows in Northern Florida
Lived here twenty years and back in 1986 the ground actually turned white.
laugh

DANIEL
Re: the new releases #97393 06/13/04 12:32 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I remember once, a couple years ago, when it was actually tens of degrees cooler by my cousins in the Atlanta area than up here. I remember there was havoc because they had no snowplows.

Sue, I can only think of two things. 1) the ghost moves between the lights or 2) that's a decoration. Looking at the way it is positioned, it might be hanging from that upper window. I guess we'll have to wait til September!

Re: the new releases #97394 06/13/04 01:02 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint

Re: the new releases #97395 06/13/04 11:41 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks John. When I looked again I thought I saw more than one ghost and figured it was probably a Halloween piece. The write-up seems to cover the old light too. Maybe when HL makes that one it should come permanently lit! smile

Re: the new releases #97396 06/14/04 11:03 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'll buy the Christmas piece because I have all the others, but then again, with space at a minimum, maybe not. I am a bit disappointed with the choice. We'll maybe the choice is the wrong word. Maybe it's more the presentation. I'd have to bet that no one have ever described that part of Carolina as a "winter wonderland". Seems to be a bit of a stretch just to re-introduce a piece for the third time. Not sure I get this one, but he others look pretty good.

Mike

Re: the new releases #97397 06/14/04 11:42 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Just out of curiosity, did any CF member personally request any of the new releases for the second half of 2004?

confused Bob confused

Re: the new releases #97398 06/14/04 03:45 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob, I have asked for Raspberry Island many times, on registration cards and the like but I certainly don't think it would be attributed to my asking. I think it was just it's time!

Mike

Re: the new releases #97399 06/15/04 01:25 AM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I've been out of touch for a while. When my dealer called me to tell me about Raspberry Island I was excited for two reasons. One, the last time he called me, he was closing the store, and I bought 3 discounted pieces. (Instead of closing, they moved to a different location in the same building. Yeah! If anyone knows Julie and Denny from Fish and Ships in Stillwater, then you know they are great!) Second, was the call about Raspberry Island. I cannot claim to have asked for it (or any of the other pieces) because I only saw Raspberry Island last fall for the first time. I'm always excited to see a lighthouse I have visted made into a LE.

I love all of my Christmas lights. So, I'm sure that I will buy this one.

Re: the new releases #97400 06/15/04 02:56 AM
B
beaconbyers Offline
B
The Christmas Piece is one I always look forward to being released each year. But... I would have hoped for more Holiday color than the black and white tower of Bodie with 4 token wreaths on the porch. I'll purchase it but would have prefered a
cheerier colored piece. As far as snow; we get some on the tops of the volcanoes here in Hawaii, but that doesn't mean I'd like a Christmas piece of Diamond Head. Or.....A palm tree decorated with a wreath...tiny foot prints leading to a surf board, nah..Give me the holiday colors. The candy stripes of White Shoals , the bunting on the walkway of Hereford Inlet, Crossover Island's
cozy look and Stratford Point's pure perfection.
Yeah, Bodie will grow on me but there's always Christmas 2005 to look forward to.

KonaSatch
Re: the new releases #97401 06/15/04 09:27 AM
bonnebert Offline
I've asked for pieces and when asking Kim she always says, it's on the list but I'm not sure where on the list it is. I guess if we are all patient, eventually they will release all of our requests.

Joyce

Re: the new releases #97402 06/15/04 03:19 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Love 'em? Hate 'em? Can't decide?

Let's talk about the latest introductions at the regular weekly chat: Wednesday 9 PM for those in the Eastern Time zone, 6 PM for those on the left coast and something in between for those in between.

Drop by and sing your praises or voice your complaints at www.HarbourLights.com/chat.htm

We haven't seen you there in a while and just want you to know all are welcome!

Say what?!? You haven't seen them all yet? Better check this page to do your homework:

www.HarbourLights.com/catalog/2004/summer_preview.htm

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users