Saint
OP Offline
Saint

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97188 01/13/10 09:31 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Excellent detail on this piece, right down to the teak decking. This is going to be my favorite Anchor Bay to date, with the exception of the WWII Taney.

Rich
Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97189 01/13/10 09:53 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I will work on the HL386 Stratford Shoals CT Close-up images tomorrow and at that time I will also shoot some more images on how well HL386 and AB123 fit together for display if you so choose to display them that way...

Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97190 01/14/10 02:44 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Great job Paul on all these close-ups~! It would make sense for Harbour Lights to use them as a marketing tool, Tony? I know that the close-ups always take me to the next step - from saying 'Oh, that's pretty nice' to "I must get one of those."

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97191 01/14/10 02:54 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Do you want to be my agent, Bob? lol..

Thanks for the nice words. The main reason I do the close-ups is because not every one has a dealer close enough to go see them. I hope the close-ups at least help collectors take a tour of the sculptures even if they can't hold them in their hands..

I just hope collectors find them useful.. There are so few people posting in the Forums these days that it hard to tell if all of the time I put in on the images is serving a useful purpose or not. I don't want this to sound like I am looking for praise... I just know that the comments are useful to Harry and HL's about the quality of the work and also the choices of the releases each year. This is a perfect "Forum" for feedback.

If collectors like something they need to say so, I know I don't have to encourage people to post if they don't like something because people usually don't hold back if they don't like something; which of course is fine and their right in the Forums. But it also nice to receive positive feed back too.

Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97192 01/14/10 04:34 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob/Paul - What you guys are saying is absolutly true to the point that there are fewer and fewer dealers available to actually go and see the new releases as they come out. In my area, where there used to be at least 3 dealers within 10 miles and another 8 dealers within 50 miles, there is now only 2 dealers within 100 miles, that I know of. While I am autoship and will buy all of them sight unseen, it is very helpful to see the detailed pictures ahead of time that Paul takes.

Not being a professional photographer, I can't imagine how much time it takes to lay out the work, set up the camera(s) and post the pictures to the Forums(I still can't post a picture and always send to Dave for him to do it). I appreciate the work that Paul is doing and would hate to not have it, just like I miss Daniel's input that we no longer have. I know that Paul does this as a labor of love, and I know personally that he does not expect any praise for what he does, so this is not rambling for Paul to collect praise for what he does.

What I'm about to say should not be interpreted as aa slam to anyone, but, should be taken as a compliment to the force that the Forum Members have in promoting Harbour Light products. Many people read the Forums daily, weekly or monthly. At any given time in a 12 hour period we may have as many as 60 members signed in and another 300-400 visitors reading what we are posting. We will never eliminate negative posts about any subject and you have a right to post something negative if you feel a certain way. But, where are the positive posts from those of you that like what you see? People, other then Forum members, read these negative posts and go away thinking all is bad without positive posts to off set the negative ones.

For those of you old enought to remember the Edsel automobile produced by Ford in the 50's, the car was ahead of it's time in constuction, looks and technology, but, the public was to nearsighted to accept it and praise Ford for producing the product. The Edsel went away because praise was not there to off set the negativity. This is the same way I observe our feelings to be concerning the new 2010 Winter issues. Tony, Harry and HLs have outdone themselves this year with the first issues of HL products, in my opinion. Why have we not let Tony or Harry know by sending them an email to this affect or posting your positive feeling on the Forums? Don't assume that no news is good news because the negatives will far outweigh any unpublished positive feelings that the majority have. Remember the old saying "It takes 1000 attaboys to erase 1 aws--t". Let everyone that is reading this Forum know how you feel towards the new issues, the rekindling of Jordan Point and everything else that HLs is doing positive, not just what you DON'T LIKE.

These are the ramblings of an old twice retired Coastie/Bomb Builder and should be taken as just that. If I hurt your feelings on anything that I said, I'm sorry in advance. If I've said something that has made you think, then take action on it in a positive way.

Rich
Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97193 01/14/10 05:16 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
It could be many of us are from the baby boomers generation or an older generation. We were taught that if you don't have anything good to say, don't say nothing at all.

As for me, my comments have been passed on to Harbour Lights and my HL dealer. I will post them in a CF thread in the near future. I think everyone should get a chance to see the new releases before they hear too many negative or postive opinions.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97194 01/14/10 11:34 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Loon - Since when do the baby boomers and my generation have nothing to say about anything? This is exactly what I tried to say in my post above. No news does not mean good news or bad news. It's the same thing I have been saying for the last 1-2 years and that is without members posting, this Forum is drying up and Tony/Harry must be getting a little tired of ho-hum to no feedback.

I'm going to be very interested when you post your comments addressed to HLs on the Forums. I'm going to move the last 5 posts to The Fog Signal Building Forum as we are getting off track from the original Narcissus topic. I will leave all the posts in this topic so history is not lost and only move the 5 posts so, if inclined, we can continue this discussion.

Rich
Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97195 01/15/10 03:34 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rich, I agree comments about the entire release shouldn't be in Pauls picture thread, but I think they belong in the Latest Model forum.

Interesting the feedback I received from those I contacted at HL. I will share some of the info at some point.

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97196 01/15/10 08:35 PM
SDudley Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I was looking over the history of the lighthouse tender Narissus and it seem like to me from what I am reading that the ship was never stationed in the area which would of serviced Stratford Shoal CT. It said it was stationed in Portsmouth its entire life with some time spent in the Delaware Bay. So if I am reading this right it looks like Harbour Lights picked the wrong lighthouse to pair this piece with. Now there was a sister ship the Zinna that was stationed in an area that could have supplied Stratford Shoal, maybe we need a name change here to better reflect things. Anybody else read it this way.

Just kidding about the name change.

Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97197 01/15/10 09:08 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Maybe next year HL should do another linking set and do a Delaware Bay light like Cross Ledge or Miah Maull Shoal and an AB of the Zinna. Then all we've go to do is match them with the correct historical pieces. wink

Stan M
Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97198 01/15/10 09:40 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I hate to say what I'm about to say, but, what a mistake HLs has made. I wonder how long it would have taken to find thid mistake if it hadn't been found by one of our members.

The Narcissus never made it any further north then the Portsmouth, VA area where she worked in the Virginia/North Carolina area until she was decomissioned in the early 70's. The Zinnia was one of the Narcissus's sister ships along with the Maple. The Zinnia basically worked the Delaware Bay area and was never reported to work any further north then New York City. She stayed in the Delaware Bay and New York City area until she was transferred to New Orleans where she was decommisioned in the early 70's. The Maple was built in the Great Lakes and never left the Lakes.

While the Narcissus and Stratford Shoal may have been made to match together, it would be better to display them separately then taunt history with a tender that never made it that far north. What a catch and what a mistake!

Edited 10/16/2010

Rich
Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97199 01/16/10 12:30 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Paul, can you show a picture from above of the 'interlocking?' or is it more like nudging together? Interlocking to me implies they are more like two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

Thanks,

Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97200 01/16/10 01:36 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I am going to do something better than that, but I was in Cincinnati today taking Chad to have LASIK eye surgery and then to his home while Grandma had to take care of the grand-daughters.

Tomorrow I have scanning to catch up on plus I think there maybe a football tomorrow night.

So Sunday I am going to try something a little different with the ship and light, you know me.

They just fit together, they don't interlock, John..

Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97201 01/16/10 02:35 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I don't know this but I will check with Harry. I think these were done to fit to together to resent what a lighthouse tender would look like at it's job at a lighthouse. I don't think he meant that the Narcissus actually serviced the Stratford Shoal Lighthouse.

Maybe that need to rewrite their copy which says "Imagine the excitement when the Lighthouse Tender Narcissus" and change it to when a 'Lighthouse Tender such as the Narcissus would visit the Stratford Shoal Light. That would make it more accurate.

I just know that displaying them together sure helps on space in my cabinet and it looks really good with them together. It will also be a great conversation piece when I have non-collecting friends over to the house (yes I do have non-collecting friends).

Re: AB123 Narcissus Close-ups #97202 01/16/10 09:43 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Lots of info can be found on the web about the Narcissus. All sites concur that she was stationed at Portsmouth, VA, for her entire Coast Guard career while her sister ship the Zinnia served out of Edgemoor, DE, Gloucester City, NJ, New York, NY and New Orleans, LA.

Stan M

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users