Next Thread
Print Thread
First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96421 10/15/07 11:16 AM
Tony C Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Good Monday Morning!

A link to the sell sheet for the First 2008 Release is below. I have seen the replica and it is aboultely spectacular! Harry has out done Harry!

Roanoke River Light was selected as a GLOW to mark its new lease on life! We need a constant reminder of the need for restoration and preservation of our historic Lights! The Repica will be "in stock" in November in time for Christmas delivery! A GREAT Christmas Present!

AJC

Roanoke River Sell Sheet

Re: First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96422 10/15/07 12:27 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
one word: WOW ... applaud

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96423 10/15/07 01:12 PM
C
ctlights Offline
C
Wow - another Society "exclusive" re-release.
And you don't even have to pay $39 for the privilege of buying it.

Re: First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96424 10/15/07 05:37 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Nice looking piece, but I don't purchase GLOW's. I was hoping for an early LE release, but that didn't happen.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96425 10/15/07 06:44 PM
SDudley Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I'm disappointed that the piece announced was a GLOW. It was a shame that they chose this piece to remake as the original was so well done. If your going to do remakes, do it of the pieces that were not so well done by today’s standards or at least make them somewhat different looking.

Re: First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96426 10/15/07 09:21 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Okay...now I feel like my comments will venture into bubble-popping territory, but whatever. I already don't seem alone.

It IS a GREAT piece...AND has that nice, solid-filled lantern room instead of being a glow-GLOW.

But...why? The original, as mentioned, was great, and with the production that befalls a Society piece, is relatively available even now. Comparing the two, they're pretty similar...right down to the curtains billowing out the window. A few different colours, a choppier sea, a lowered lifeboat...not much else. At first, I briefly thought it was a reuse of the HLCS mold.

While the cause and intent is very noble, the execution could have been more unique from the previous piece. I would have loved the new rendition to REALLY commemorate the move and depict the light in its new surroundings. To me, a water-based piece does not suggest the special story that lies behind the sculpture.

Also, as Roanoke River is not an especially well known light, I think that there's a lot of other lights that could have been a GLOW and had a much larger long-term market (as is needed in the GLOW line). There are gaps in the line that needed to be filled first.

As I said, the intent and meaning is great, and the piece is beautiful out of context. But with the previous rendition and the location depiction, I'm getting another sense of deja-GLOW.

Re: First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96427 10/15/07 09:45 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
An $85 glow remake of a light that wasn't too popular the first time around. I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind it's selection. How many of us only purchased the first version because it was the Society Piece?

Re: First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96428 10/15/07 10:05 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have the first version and that is all I need!
Judy

Re: First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96429 10/16/07 12:29 AM
W
wolfdevil Offline
Wacko
Wacko
W
The society piece of RR is one of my all time favorites in my collection and is my favorite lighthouse but I agree with everyone else. What hurts RR is that is known in the Edenton area and but among the general public of NC is a relatively unknown lighthouse (Side story: I actually ran into an gentleman at the other RR replica in Plymouth who used to go out to the lighthouse when he was a little boy. He was not fond of the lighthouse being in Edenton. He also mentioned it was something to see Emmitt Wiggins move the RR from it's original location on the river to where E. Wiggins lived in it on land. I showed him the RR replica and he also gave me good directions to it when I told him I was going to go see it!). So my way to the OBX in-store event this past August I took the detour to go see RR now sitting in the town park (I have been trying to post pictures but have been unsuccesful). It was a sight to see. There was also a store nearby where you could purchased a commerative shirt to help the cause. I would have also preferred the newer edition with the surroundings in the Town of Edenton Park/on land once the lighthouse is finally remodeled and dedicated.

Re: First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96430 10/16/07 07:35 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
How many of us only purchased the first version because it was the Society Piece?
A couple of things here...

I get one of every LE because of my auto ship committment. I also purchase every Society piece because of that committment. When it came to the original Roanoke River LE, auto ship or no auto ship, I would have purchased it any way.

Although I had never heard of that light, I think the Harbour Lights rendition was extremely well done and very worthy of being added to my collection. I was also surprised by the colors used to paint the "water". It was very different from what we are used to. I notice the color of the water on the GLOW wil be back to the basic blue used on almost every HL. I feel they should of gone with the colors used on the LE. Maybe they wanted the GLOW to look different from the LE. "It is what it is..." Bill Belichick

cool Bob cool

Re: First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96431 10/16/07 10:30 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Well I did not want to break Tonys bubble either. It is great that HL wants to commemorate the moving of the Roanoke River Light back to where the public can visit and appreciate it.
But this Forum is mainly dedicated Limited edition collectors that all ready have their society Roanoke River. Do not show us a GLOW of the same thing we all ready have and expect us to get all excited.

I also feel that it should have been made more different. Whats wrong with the battery light-up thing. It makes the light different and it attracts other types of collectors. The battery type also does not approach on the collectability of the original L.E. as much as a splitting image GLOW

DANIEL
Re: First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96432 10/16/07 10:32 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I don't know who is more disappointed, me or my wife. Deb was going to buy me what we thought was going to be a full size LE release for Christmas. Not going to happen, the original is one of my favorites. If it wasn't going to be an LE, I would also be happy with a GLOW of a lighthouse that needed a better version. Could have been anything from the LE's released from 1991 through 1994.

But I do think the detail is exceptional !!!

Hey it's less then 3 months till we hear about the 2008 first half releases. laugh

I'm sure those who wanted less LE's are breathing a sigh of releif. wink

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96433 10/16/07 11:32 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Very nice looking piece, but it won't make it to my shelves.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96434 10/16/07 12:04 PM
Rock Online
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
This is the sound of my jaw dropping to the floor...THUD...in complete disappointment...why don't you just drop the LE line altogether and end our suffering...

Re: First Release of a 2008 Harbour Light #96435 10/16/07 02:49 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Rock:
This is the sound of my jaw dropping to the floor...THUD...in complete disappointment...why don't you just drop the LE line altogether and end our suffering...
WOW!! I feel like I am in a war.... Pow, pow, pow... comments being "fired" from all angles...

Sound like the majority of folks are quite dissappointed! The Roanoke River GLOW is as nicely done, however as commented before by many, WE (Collectors) already have one or these.

So now I am dissappointed too!

Is there a TYPO on the sell sheet? Really now, $85.00 for a GLOW when the Society Redemption piece was much better! Folks, I am starting to see the "light" and tend to agree with Rock. Where's the gun?

Perhaps us old timers who have been collecting Harbour Lights for at least 10-15 years now and focus mainly on LEs are "just about done with their collection".... cause I am soon ready to hang it up!

-Christopher
"CAVR"

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users