Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96305 01/05/07 07:14 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
... On the January 2007 Introductions from Harbour Lights. www.HarbourLights.com.

Enjoy.

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96306 01/05/07 07:35 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
The Lighthouse Depot catalog arrived a couple of days ago to reveal the new releases. I suspect that this will irritate some people. Whatever means by which I get the news is okay with me.

This looks like a basically good batch of choices [to me, at least]. Certainly, Seul Choix, Point Bonita, Grand Isle East Channel, Isle of Shoals, and Mobile Point are all desirable additions that I would have recommended. I could easily have done without the lens, but I understand perfectly that I'm in the minority with this response. Of course, I'll go ahead to get it, just so that I don't have a break in the "run," but I'm afraid that I'm just not very enchanted with any of the lenses. Again...I hasten to add that I'm not putting them down, and that I understand that others really enjoy them. I might, too, if there weren't so many lighthouses for which there is already not enough room. The same goes for Anchor Bay. It's all too much for me to acquire, so I have to repress any appreciation that I might have for them.

I will have to "put my foot down" with the prospect of limited editions of LLMs. I frankly can see no reason to initiate this, other than an attempt to compel collectors to buy yet more than they're already buying.

Incidentally, I will register "neutral" about the emoticons/emotikons. As with any novelty, they will be a trifle overused at first, and then will taper down a bit. Seems like harmless fun and---surprise to every last one of you!---I'm not going to get worked up about them.

But, let me scotch the rumor that I'm mellowing with age.

Danny

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96307 01/05/07 07:49 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Incidentally, I just looked at the Harbours Lights site.

When I get my lens, will it pulsate and expand, as though it's breathing, just like the one in the picture?!

Danny

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96308 01/05/07 08:15 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I checked out the HL website and looked at the 2007 first half editions. I had already seen the new lights on Cape Annie's website, but wanted to read the writeup for each light on the HL site. cheers

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96309 01/05/07 08:35 PM
kikigl Offline
Glad to see the new lights that will be out for 2007. I will get at least Gibbs and Point Bonita. Waited a long time for that one!

Kay
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96310 01/05/07 08:44 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Very observant Danny, I did a rush job on the animation when I did it a month or so ago and then of course I forgot to redo it...

I will try to redo it again this weekend, if the Colts win on Saturday, otherwise I will be to depressed to do anything on Sunday except play with my Grand-Daughter..

It is probably a pixel or two off.. It has to be a perfect match on pixels to work perfectly.. That is two images layered on top of each other in the lit part..

John will then have to reload the image when I ftp it to him..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96311 01/05/07 08:53 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Awesome!
Thanks for the "heads-up"!

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96312 01/05/07 10:47 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
A very nice lineup for the first half of the year. Hl does it again!!!

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96313 01/05/07 11:02 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Well, what's money anyhoo? Will have to rearrange some curios.

Rich
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96314 01/06/07 01:56 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Mobile Point Light ! vhappy

Thank you Harbour Lights! Now I will have ALL of the Alabama Lights (all three of them!)

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96315 01/06/07 11:20 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
It's nice to have seen the new releases that will soon be available. Please don't fire any cannon balls at me, but I'm not that excited about the Mobile Point, AL. My personal preference would have been depicting the light without all the damage to it. I collect lighthouses, not the spoils of war replicas.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96316 01/06/07 12:24 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob
I differ with you about the Mobile Point, AL. HL took a relatively boring lighthouse and made it interesting and fun to look at. This is how the light looked in a particular point of time, just like how Cape Florida and St Augustine was done before their renovation. This figurine depicts Mobile point light with the damaged brick structure and at a point of time just before it was torn down to be replaced with a wood structure.

Civil war items are very popular these days and HL made a commendable effort with this one to make it an eye catcher.

Bob I also feel that what we all did with the ELL has been carried over onto this light. The ELL team members and Harry also took a small boring light and came up with one of the neatest HL’s made for its size. Besides the removable flag The Mobile Point carries over our idea of adding interesting items that take a plain light into something for HL to be proud of.

HL might have not taken on a plain light like this if it wasn’t for the ELL being the trend breaker and proving to all the collectors that even the plain simple lights can be made into a sought after LE. That is what our team with all their brainstorming and Harry Hines with his artistic talent has done with the ELL. groupwave

DANIEL
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96317 01/06/07 01:24 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
My first reaction on seeing Mobile was it was a 'gimmick', but it has grown on me. And I think it might attract some buyers from those with interest in the Civil War. Anything with a 'crossover' value is good for the company right now.

The battle over lights in the South during the Civil War is a part of the heritage of lighthouses in general and of specific lights in particular.

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96318 01/06/07 02:45 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I am EXTREMELY dissapointed with Point Bonita. Not to include the bridge was a mistake. ANYBODY that has ever been there know's the memorable walk across that bridge. Even worse it looks squatty, it looks like it's only 20ft off the water. Sorry but it should be back to the drawing board on this one!

I have been wanting this for years frustrated

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96319 01/06/07 03:09 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Adding some interest to the Isle of Shoals piece is this...it's also the light that the "Lighthouse Kids" have worked so hard for.
Lighthouse Kids present check for White Island

I guess I knew this light as "White Island", so I didn't recognize "Isle of Shoals" at first when the new HL's were announced.

Judy

Judy
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96320 01/06/07 04:52 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I shared your dissappointment when I opened the foam protection, Sean, I wanted the bridge included myself... I think price probably dictated how it was done.. I will say that the way it is done is very nice, it just would have been better with a little bit of the bridge.. It may come down to doing it this way or not out all.. I think they are trying hard to keep the quality up, the price down and making smaller editions to make the lights more of a collectable.. I still feel it will be a good seller for HL...

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96321 01/06/07 05:13 PM
C
ctlights Offline
C
I'll already ordered Point Bonita but will pass on everything else. I've waiting 10 years for the piece (as well as the still "elusive", once promised Point Vicente)and am also disappointed that the bridge wasn't more of an element in this piece. I've seen two photos of the piece, the first which I did not like, but the second, as posted on the HL home page made me feel much better about the sculpture.

I'm also surprised that this piece has a limited edition of just 1,500, considering that it is a well-known and very requested "wish list" release.

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96322 01/06/07 06:03 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Danny:
Incidentally, I just looked at the Harbours Lights site.

When I get my lens, will it pulsate and expand, as though it's breathing, just like the one in the picture?!

Danny
Perfectionist that he is, Paul stayed up late last night and tweaked the image of the First Order and 'tis now blinking without breathing.

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96323 01/06/07 08:37 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Ah.....does that mean that the "breathing light" might be a rare, "error" piece that could be worth simply gazillions?

Now....I'm being only halfway, intentionally outrageous when I offer this suggestion. Perhaps Harbour Lights could make a supplemental, separate bridge piece for Point Bonita that would fit up flush to it and could be numbered 348-A? There was---and may still be---a cottage company called "A Little Bit of Oregon" that made a two-part version of Heceta Head in which the lighthouse formed one piece and the keepers' duplex formed the other; they fit together to represent, in short form, the path that led from one to the other. The quality wasn't so hot, but the idea seemed to work.

Remember! I am not espousing this idea merely to throw you good folk into spasms of vexation. It is, however, an idea.

Okay...I'll go away, now.

Thanks for the careful revision, Paul.

Danny

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96324 01/06/07 08:52 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by ctlights:
I'm also surprised that this piece has a limited edition of just 1,500, considering that it is a well-known and very requested "wish list" release.
But, wouldn't this also hopefully produce a quicker (and honset) retirement of the piece?

Danny, remember that the Baileys Range pieces were also designed to fit together.

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96325 01/06/07 11:20 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Danny and others

Don’t think for one-minute that the lower production number is because Harbour Lights have to.
The HL game plan is to make the Limited Editions a collectable again. The lower production numbers are done to create a demand and thus enhancing desirability and collectiblity. In other words they should be worth more after you buy one.

DANIEL
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96326 01/07/07 01:48 AM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Actually I think HL knows most people will not be happy with it because it lacks the bridge. I for one, have been asking for Pt. Bonita for years, but I will not be buying this poor escapee from the butcher shop.

Eric
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96327 01/07/07 09:04 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Pt. Bonita looks good to me. I've never been there and have only seen the bridge you folks speak of in pictures. It appears that some of you are disappointed over the bridge not being a part of the sculpture. Perhaps Harbour Lights didn't want to make another piece the size of Navesink along with a rather hefty weight and retail price.

When I began requesting North Block Island, I thought it would be great to include a sand dune that lies on its west side. It would have been the first HL with a sand dune on the sculpture. It didn't happen, but North Light did, and I appreciate that fact. The same feelings should be expressed towards the Point Bonita sculpture.

My advice is buy it while you can. With the new lower edition numbers they won't last long.

smile Bob smile

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96328 01/07/07 12:18 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I agree with Bob
Pt. Bonita looks good to me also.
But like Bob, I have not been there and I cannot appreciate the bridge like the rest of you.
Its sounds like the bridge would have really made this figurine special but it would have added to the size and cost. HL has done a fantastic Job with the low production and besides was still able to bring the price down.

I think Danny hit the nail on the head with the optional bridge idea, however I would like to add to it. The bridge would have to be a limited to 500. With matching number. Remember the bridge would probably cost more than the light because of the small production but it sounds like collectors would flock over it.

DANIEL
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96329 01/07/07 12:24 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
Pt. Bonita looks good to me. I've never been there and have only seen the bridge you folks speak of in pictures. It appears that some of you are disappointed over the bridge not being a part of the sculpture. Perhaps Harbour Lights didn't want to make another piece the size of Navesink along with a rather hefty weight and retail price.

When I began requesting North Block Island, I thought it would be great to include a sand dune that lies on its west side. It would have been the first HL with a sand dune on the sculpture. It didn't happen, but North Light did, and I appreciate that fact. The same feelings should be expressed towards the Point Bonita sculpture.

My advice is buy it while you can. With the new lower edition numbers they won't last long.

smile Bob smile
Bob,

I see your point (although I think comparing a sand dune to the bridge is like comparing apples and oranges) but I agree with the others on Point Bonita. I have been there and I think that the bridge needs to be included in the sculpture because it's an integral part of the lighthouse.

I will also pass on this one because it doesn't truly represent the LH for me. I think HL missed an opportunity here to produce a real WOW of a sculpture.

I don't think it would have had to be the size of Navesink to have been done well.

Dennis

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96330 01/07/07 01:51 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
It seems to me that a lot of important aspects of a lighthouse have been left off on many of the HL Limiteds in order to produce the best representation of the Lighthouse, and keep the price at an affordable price point.

Certainly, the bridge is an integral part of the Pt. Bonita experience, but look at the detail on the representation of the lighthouse itself. The bridge is even suggested in all that detail.

When HL196 Cape Henry was introduced, I would have preferred to have also seen the Keeper's dwelling, but this was not included. Instead we got a magnificent representation of the two lights and how they stand so closely together today even though the newer tower was built because the older one was predicted to collapse. I bet you can think of quite a few HL's that you would have liked to had something included that wasn't.

You haven't even seen the 360' photos of HL348 yet, so how do you know you won't like it?

Just how much would you have been willing to pay for the bridge to be attached? Would 1500 pieces have sold at that price to make it profitable?

All I'm suggesting is that those of you who are giving it a thumbs down-already- wait until you've seen the whole piece to cast judgment. Then, if you don't want it, don't buy it. But if you decide you want it after the 1500 are gone, you can't have mine, even at a premium.

I collect lighthouses, and the reason the only brand I collect is Harbour Lights is because of the terrific representation of the lighthouse itself.

Judy

Judy
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96331 01/07/07 01:58 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:
I don't think it would have had to be the size of Navesink to have been done well.
Dennis [/QB]
For HL to include the bridge and have it at a correct scale, it would have either been the size of the Navesink or the scaled down to the Little Lights of Mine size.

We would all have hated it they would have done it similar to the 163 Cape Canaveral piece. With the flames of the Space Shuttle burning the trees right next to the lighthouse.

My suggestion is to make the bridge as a separate piece. Maybe as a second Collectors Society purchase for 2008.

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96332 01/07/07 02:09 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Enlarged picture of Point Bonita, California
Harbour Lights #348point

Note how well the painting was done.
The rust stains are well accented and blended to make the lighthouse look authentic.
With this being a popular light, the low production amount and a small price tag; it is bound to go fast.

DANIEL
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96333 01/07/07 02:27 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
It would have been nice if they had included the bridge. But I still like the piece and have already ordered mine. There are several HL pieces that I did not think I would like by just seeing the pictures. But seeing the actual piece up close changed my mind.

Cyndi
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96334 01/07/07 02:39 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Even look at the detail at the tower to the left! All perfectly blended and authentic-looking!

BTW, "mad props" (which is a good thing) to Judy on that Bonita post...you can't have your cake and eat it, too. But I'd say that this piece is relative to a wedding cake for the Royal Family. And hopefully the frosting isn't any good. Or something.

Also, maybe because this has been asked for for so many years, it's just a let-down, because the vision concocted in everyone's head was of a 1/2 size chunk of resin with a grand suspension bridge...all for $65.

Maybe there could be a "supplement"...but if not, it's still a great piece. And you asked for Pt. Bonita; here it is. If you need reminding...get your records out, because You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96335 01/07/07 03:44 PM
Bruce and Judy Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Having seen Point Bonita lighthouse from both the San Francisco Bay as well as from land, with the path walk, tunnel and crossing the bridge to the lighthouse, I agree the bridge is a very significant part of Point Bonita.

Daniel's link to the full width picture shows a very small portion of the bridge on the left side and shows better detail of the lighthouse model then the HL site picture.

This definitely is a must have to keep out collection of California ligths complete and West Coast lights on track to completion.

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96336 01/07/07 04:41 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bruce and Judy,

I see you are from Orange County. I growup in Riverside County. I lived there until we moved to TN in 1991.

Cyndi
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96337 01/08/07 08:26 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
(although I think comparing a sand dune to the bridge is like comparing apples and oranges)
I wasn't really comparing a sand dune to a bridge. I was just saying that when I suggested North Block Island, way back when, I thought it would be interesting to sculpt it with the sand dune that borders the west side. It would have been the first HL to have such a thing as part of the sculpture.

I've never been out west to see Pt. Bonita, and I do know many of you were wishing Harbour Lights would produce the piece. I'm pretty sure that everyone wanted to see the bridge incorporated into the piece. You know what? It didn't happen.

Now there is actually going to be 1500 piece edition of a much requested lighthouse, namely Pt. Bonita. Many of you wanted this piece but are indicating you won't buy it because the brige isn't part of it. Have you looked at the enlarged picture link of Pt. Bonita Daniel attached to his post a couple above this one? The piece looks great! It will sell out fast. My advice is buy it while it's available so you won't be kicking your butt later on because you didn't.

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96338 01/08/07 01:18 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Quote:
(although I think comparing a sand dune to the bridge is like comparing apples and oranges)
I wasn't really comparing a sand dune to a bridge. I was just saying that when I suggested North Block Island, way back when, I thought it would be interesting to sculpt it with the sand dune that borders the west side. It would have been the first HL to have such a thing as part of the sculpture.

I've never been out west to see Pt. Bonita, and I do know many of you were wishing Harbour Lights would produce the piece. I'm pretty sure that everyone wanted to see the bridge incorporated into the piece. You know what? It didn't happen.

Now there is actually going to be 1500 piece edition of a much requested lighthouse, namely Pt. Bonita. Many of you wanted this piece but are indicating you won't buy it because the brige isn't part of it. Have you looked at the enlarged picture link of Pt. Bonita Daniel attached to his post a couple above this one? The piece looks great! It will sell out fast. My advice is buy it while it's available so you won't be kicking your butt later on because you didn't.

Bob,

I was just using your example in my response- didn't want to change it and be chided for that.

I disagree with you and the others on Pt Bonita. I am disapointed in the depiction of it. I have seen the other photo that shows the entire piece from the side- and it actually confirms my personal opinion of it. I think they should have either made the piece with a complete bridge or no part of the bridge. The lighthouse structure itself is done beautifully- as far as it goes which again in my personal opinion isn't far enough.

It seems that there is only one position accepted here at times- no criticism of any kind of HL. I don't say you and the others who wish to buy this piece are shortsighted, etc. I allow you and them your opinion and the ability to voice it.

Here's my position on Point Bonita- the lighthouse structure itself is done well- including the rusting, etc. It falls short of something I wish to purchase because it omits a part of the structure I consider integral to my enjoyment of it. You like- so you can buy it. I don't care for it so I'll pass on this one.

Dennis

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96339 01/08/07 01:31 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Please don't fire any cannon balls at me, but I'm not that excited about the Mobile Point, AL. My personal preference would have been depicting the light without all the damage to it. I collect lighthouses, not the spoils of war replicas. Bob M
Quote:
It seems that there is only one position accepted here at times- no criticism of any kind of HL. Dennis
Dennis, ...I may be somewhat of a HL cheerleader but I do state my true feelings even if they aren't 100% pro-HL. Please refer to the quote from my earlier post in this thread that now is listed in the begining of this post.

All the CF members should speak their mind like you do. If makes for some great debate no matter how you stand on the topic of discussion. We need this kind of interaction to make the CF well-rounded and more interesting.

:p Bob :p

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96340 01/08/07 01:39 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
[QUOTE]
All the CF members should speak their mind like you do. If makes for some great debate no matter how you stand on the topic of discussion. We need this kind of interaction to make the CF well-rounded and more interesting.

:p Bob :p
cheers

Stan M
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96341 01/08/07 01:50 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I've only seen Point Bonita from afar and then from the land side. What is that rounded thing that sits below the building in the foreground of this picture?

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96342 01/08/07 02:00 PM
Bob Taylor Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Point Bonita should have the bridge with its sign "only 5 persons allowed on the bridge at one time". This makes the trip more exciting!

Also I can not recall ever having to go through a tunnel in the mountain to arrive at a lighthouse before. While we are suggesting the bridge, we might also consider a tunnel for realism smile .

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96343 01/08/07 02:47 PM
C
ctlights Offline
C
Re: Point Bonita, any chance we could get some feedback from "home office" as to why more of the bridge wasn't incorporated? Cost of piece made it prohibited? Including the bridge made the size too big or too small? The folks at HL almost always get the final version "just right" so I'm sure there was much consideration on the final version.

When you really think about it, the only way to include the bridge is to include it all - you can't have half or part of the bridge hanging of the side of the piece. This would result in a very large and costly piece, or reducing the actual size of the lighthouse to something very small.

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96344 01/08/07 03:22 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Come On!!!!!!!!!! Affordability???? They can make highly detailed models of Screwpile, Reef and Skeletal Lights and they can't add a little swinging bridge. Bunk! I don't buy it! They missed the boat case closed! Stop trying to sell me on a substandard model. You may settle but I wont. I waited this long, I would have waited longer. Ya'll are preaching collectability out of one side of your mouth and then crying about affordability out the other. You simply want it both way's and are willing to settle for it. This certainly doesn't increase collectability. This is a small release, it could have been an exciting release with an appropriate price tag. Cutting important details to make it "affordable" and low numbers released means Harbour Lights lacks confidence in sales of this piece. This doesn't send a good message to the collectors now does it?

imho

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96345 01/08/07 03:23 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Harry Hine sez:
Quote:
"While my original hope was for a section of the bridge overhanging the edge, it would have added a considerable cost to the retail price and we were also concerned with the fragile nature of something hanging off the piece.

"To have included all of the bridge and all of the tunnel, it would have been either too small or way too expensive."

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96346 01/08/07 03:36 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I understand not including the tunnel, but I do think the bridge could have been included without having to make it hang off the piece. The scale could have been reduced to keep the footprint down and it certainly would have never been a Navesink. I guess we can have a Golden Gate but no Point Bonita Bridge; inflation of bridge construction is just to high!

pillowfight

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96347 01/08/07 03:51 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I had a numbering mixup on some of the individual pages for the Jan 2007 introductions. The table was correct, but the product numbers were wrong on Seul Choix, Isle of Shoals and Mobile Point.

If you've ordered one or all of these three pieces, please check the product number with the dealer:

http://www.harbourlights.com/catalog/2007/2007_table.htm

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96348 01/08/07 04:42 PM
C
ctlights Offline
C
Thanks for the quote from Harry. It certainly explains the sculpture in its final version and indicates that the bridge was at least considered. Can't wait to get it!

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96349 01/08/07 07:27 PM
RIP Puls Offline
Wacko
Wacko
If they do a bridge then would that be #348A

RIP
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96350 01/08/07 07:52 PM
kikigl Offline
I was also disappointed that the bridge wasn't included. I have visited Point Bonita and the
location is just breath-taking! And the bridge is a big part of it. I thought it wss one of the most beautiful places for a lighthouse any
where in the United States. It will always be a favorite of mine.
I have waited so long for this one and I will buy it.
I, for one, would have been willing to pay more
if it had included the bridge.

Kay
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96351 01/08/07 08:11 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I had to start looking at actual lighthouse pictures to get the idea of what everyone is talking about.
As I look at the figurine, I kept telling myself something is missing and I could not put my finger on it until I looked at the picture below. HL did give us a nice looking LE with a low production and a very reasonable price. But for all of this we had to give up something. We were getting very spoiled with fancy gates, handrails, and details down to leaf rake or a garden tool. Though the Bonita Point has the state of the art painting it is missing the many details that would have made it a wow. There are no handrails and the walkway bridge is so vague I did not know what it was until everyone started to talk about it.

In my opinion, the Bonita Point is a nice piece but has reverted to the mold style of the middle 90’s. Probably to get what many of you collectors wanted I think they could have made the walk to the bridge longer, added more detail like the handrail and tried to extend the walking bridge out a little more. Something like the attached photo. I would have liked to see the upper cable also. Realistically speaking do we really need the whole bridge or would have 50ft of it make the point? I think the bridge could have come out farther with the base extending out to protect it. It also might have helped if the Lighthouse was on a higher cliff as mentioned before. With all these adjustments, I think it would have raised the price tag to around $85 to $95 and look a lot closer as to the real thing.

The full walking bridge would have been nice and probably would have at least tripled its length and let’s guess at a price tag around $120 or even $150. Another point I want to make is that because of the low production is probably why the pewter railing was not used. It is expensive for small amounts.

http://lighthousegetaway.com/lights/CA/bonita2.jpg

Point

DANIEL
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96352 01/08/07 08:23 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
[/QUOTE]Dennis, ...I may be somewhat of a HL cheerleader but I do state my true feelings even if they aren't 100% pro-HL. Please refer to the quote from my earlier post in this thread that now is listed in the begining of this post.

:p Bob :p [/QB][/QUOTE]

Bob,

You are correct about you making critical remarks sometimes. I should have made my point clearer- I was responding to your post but including comments by others in framing my response.

Dennis

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96353 01/08/07 08:28 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by DANIEL:
I had to start looking at actual lighthouse pictures to get the idea of what everyone is talking about.
As I look at the figurine, I kept telling myself something is missing and I could not put my finger on it until I looked at the picture below. HL did give us a nice looking LE with a low production and a very reasonable price. But for all of this we had to give up something. We were getting very spoiled with fancy gates, handrails, and details down to leaf rake or a garden tool. Though the Bonita Point has the state of the art painting it is missing the many details that would have made it a wow. There are no handrails and the walkway bridge is so vague I did not know what it was until everyone started to talk about it.

In my opinion, the Bonita Point is a nice piece but has reverted to the mold style of the middle 90’s. Probably to get what many of you collectors wanted I think they could have made the walk to the bridge longer, added more detail like the handrail and tried to extend the walking bridge out a little more. Something like the attached photo. I would have liked to see the upper cable also. Realistically speaking do we really need the whole bridge or would have 50ft of it make the point? I think the bridge could have come out farther with the base extending out to protect it. It also might have helped if the Lighthouse was on a higher cliff as mentioned before. With all these adjustments, I think it would have raised the price tag to around $85 to $95 and look a lot closer as to the real thing.

The full walking bridge would have been nice and probably would have at least tripled its length and let’s guess at a price tag around $120 or even $150. Another point I want to make is that because of the low production is probably why the pewter railing was not used. It is expensive for small amounts.

http://lighthousegetaway.com/lights/CA/bonita2.jpg

Point
I'll concede one point- to make the piece a WOW with the complete bridge would make it close to Navesink size and would have increased the cost.

It's been sometime since I was there and I needed that photo to jog my memory about the length and size of the bridge.

You - and others- are correct that making it to scale would require a much larger piece or the loss of too much detail on the lighthouse itself.

I still wish they had done the whole thing and I think if they had it would have retired naturally even at the higher price required. i also still think they should have left off the bridge entirely if they were not going to do it all.

Dennis

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96354 01/08/07 10:18 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Quote:
What is that rounded thing that sits below the building in the foreground of this picture?
I believe that it was a WWII searchlight installation to watch for enemy vessels (including submarines) at night.

Larry

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96355 01/08/07 11:02 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I like the piece and have ordered one, but I think if the bridge was added and if there was more detail, it would have made a good piece into an awesome piece. I would have paid more if it cost more for the added detail.

Cyndi
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96356 01/09/07 02:24 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
It's funny how sometimes things happen at just the right time.

I was over at another lighthouse website I belong to and someone there (Barbara) just went to San Francisco this weekend.

She happened to post a photo of Pt Bonita that makes me change my mind a bit on the bridge no bridge question-

I saw this photo and asked her if I could post it here due to the discussion going on. She kindly allowed me to do so. (I've added this sentence in an edit to my original post due to my being questioned about using the photo without permission)

I'm not sure that HL could have done a sculpture of Pt Bonita with the full bridge in it that would have worked.

The size of the bridge actually dwarfs the lighthouse and not only would that make the size required very large I'm not sure it could be done and look good at the same time.

I can admit when I'm wrong- it happens ocasionally. laugh

I may have to reconsider purchasing this one as well- although I still don't like that little bit 'o bridge on the piece.

Dennis

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96357 01/09/07 03:13 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Nice photo. Do we have Barbara's permission to use her photo here?

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96358 01/09/07 03:22 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Webmaster:
Nice photo. Do we have Barbara's permission to use her photo here?
Of course I do. I wouldn't have posted it otherwise.

I sent her an e-mail explaining what was what and asking her if i could post her photo as I could not find a similar one in my photos of my trip to the Bay area several years ago.

Do you want me to post her e-mail giving me permission?

Give me a small amount of credit John. I don't steal other people's property. I'll go back and edit my post to allay any fears that may popup in other people's minds.

Dennis

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96359 01/09/07 08:41 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for posting the picture, Dennis. It certainly adds the perspective of just how difficult it would have been to sculpt Pt. Bonita with the bridge included.

Like many of my fellow collectors, I like my HL's to be somewhat consistent in size in my displays. If the bridge would have been included in the sculpture, the lighthouse itself would have ended up around the size of a LLOM and that's not what the HL collectors would have wanted, in my opinion.

smile Bob smile

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96360 01/09/07 11:56 AM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for posting those pics.

What a B E A U T I F U L lighthouse!!!
The whole scene seems just spectacular!

And this LH is how close to San Francisco? My company that I work for is being acquired by a company based in San Jose'. I wonder how far away this LH is from them?

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96361 01/09/07 12:02 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
My apologies, Dennis. I wasn't thinking of our other thread on permissions. Just didn't know Barbara.

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96362 01/09/07 02:25 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Dennis your not wrong. If Harbour Lights can produce an affordable model of the Golden Gate Bridge and scale it to the size they did they could have added a bridge. They chose not to.

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96363 01/09/07 06:53 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by BeaconBob:
Thanks for posting those pics.

What a B E A U T I F U L lighthouse!!!
The whole scene seems just spectacular!

And this LH is how close to San Francisco? My company that I work for is being acquired by a company based in San Jose'. I wonder how far away this LH is from them?
Bob,

The lighthouse is just over the Golden Gate Bridge- about 10 miles from downtown San Francisco.

San jose is about 50 miles from San Francisco- depends on where you start in SJ and where you are going in SF.

Dennis

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96364 01/09/07 06:57 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by SThompson:
Dennis your not wrong. If Harbour Lights can produce an affordable model of the Golden Gate Bridge and scale it to the size they did they could have added a bridge. They chose not to.
Sean,

You are definitely entitled to your opinion but I think the problem with doing the bridge and lighthouse is getting the scale right without making the entire piece too large. I tend to agree with the others now that it would be difficult to do without making a very large footprint. I begin to understand why they chose not to make it with the bridge- although I'd still prefer it with the bridge.

The difference between this and the Golden Gate Bridge is that there are two things here that have to be balanced in size and only one item in the GG Bridge.

Dennis

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96365 01/09/07 07:36 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I can see both sides of this discussion. Since I have yet to visit it personally, I guess I am neutral. I have ordered it even though I am trying to only get ones I have visited. I think it will sell out quickly regardless of the bridge question and it is on the top of my lighthouses to visit list. Once I have been there my opinion may change. Only time will tell.

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96366 01/11/07 05:24 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Sean, if HL could make you a beaver maybe they can make you a bridge..... wink

Re: And The Curtain Goes Up...... #96367 01/11/07 08:42 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Along these lines, I have an acquaintance who held contempt for the Harbour Lights LE of Point Reyes because it did not include the entirety of the winding path down to the light. She maintained that the path was the essential charm of the place. Well....heck yes! Therefore, I'm still awaiting a Heceta Head release that has ALL of the cliff face---in scale---as well as the keepers' dwelling and a major section of Devil's Elbow State Park.

With regard to Point Bonita, wouldn't it be super if they could do a separate section with the bridge, actually lighted as though it was Christmas????

Giggle, snicker, chortle...

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,299 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users