Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94181 10/24/99 09:22 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
This will be a different thread: What is your pet of choice? It would be interesting to see if there is a common denominator from the "pet world" amongst us.

My pet is a Jack Russell Terrier. Without a doubt, this breed is one of the funniest pets you could own. They are extremely loyal and very entertaining. They will go (not to the bathroom) 24 hours a day. They will only stop when you stop. My JRT loves the boat, loves the beach, loves to swim, loves to surf (body surfing only...refuses to use the Boogie Board), and does some underwater rock recovery (sometimes he'll dive underwater for as long as 15 seconds!). He looks very similar to "Eddy" on the Frasier television program (broken coat, medium size, about 20 lbs). He hates the paperboy and the mailman and will almost dive through the screen to get at them.

Enough said about my pet...what about yours?

Bob

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94182 10/24/99 12:32 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My best friend's name is "Digger's Red Baron", (Baron for short). He is a German Shorthaired Pointer. If you ever saw the movie "Where the Red Fern Grows", you will know my relationship with him. There is a special bond between an upland game hunter and his pointer, a bond that goes way beyond the hunting aspect. We are both retired from hunting now, I found out that I received more enjoyment from observing wildlife than hunting them, and Baron found out that he enjoyed the sofa more than the briars. He still loves his heritage though. Now instead of pointing Quail or Pheasant he enjoys pointing frogs, flies and whatever he can find in the backyard (of course there's the cat who he feels needs a good pouncing-on every once in a while). People say that I am crazy over my dog, and yes I will agree with them, I AM crazy over my best friend. BTW, he's sitting here next to me watching me type this, probably waiting for a biscuit.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=39661&a=259752&p=13002271&Sequence=2[/img]
"I know there's a frog in here somewhere!"

Digger

[This message has been edited by Gravedigger (edited 10-24-99).]

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94183 10/24/99 01:06 PM
C
charlie97 Offline
C
My wife and I have two cats and two dogs. The cats are Charlie and Beauregard. Charlie was dumped behind where I work in a shoe box with two of his siblings, they might have been five weeks old. I found them and brought them home. Good homes were found for two of the kittens and I didn't have the heart to give the last one away. He stayed and became 'Mr. Charlie Cat'.
We decided Charlie needed a friend and we found Beau at the county animal shelter. Beau is a miniature mountain lion, weighing in at over 15 lbs. He is the one of he sweetest animals I have ever known. There isn't a mean bone in his body.
Our oldest dog is Brandi, she is a AKC registered beagle. She will be 11 years old in November but you would not know it. Our other dog is Zoie, a border collie mix. We rescued her from the animal shelter also. She was so shy when we brought her home that she did not bark for over a year. She also gets car sick, as I found out when she got sick in the back seat of our nearly new car. These animals are not our pets, they are our family!!

------------------

Chuck

[This message has been edited by charlie97 (edited 10-24-99).]

Chuck
Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94184 10/24/99 01:20 PM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
We have a cat named Henry. A longhaired seal point. The name Henry means ruler of the home and in his own special way he does sort of rule the roost around here.

Lonnie

Lonnie
Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94185 10/24/99 03:31 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Since I moved into an appartment, I don't have a pet anymore. However I always liked having a cat around. I also have a soft spot for German Shepards, since the dog we had when I was a kid was a shepard mix. If I ever get around to buying a house the first thing I'll do is visit the pound for a good pet.

Eric
Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94186 10/24/99 03:38 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Well, I have a house full. I have five cats: Maggie, (black), her three sons, Sukie (Siamese), Raphael (black) and Alex (grey tabby)and Abigail a chubby black, gold and brown something (not spots, not stripes, not tortie).

I have two dogs, Ty is a Lhaso-poodle mix who is hard of hearing and nearly blind. Gator is almost four and he is a mix between Brittany Spaniel and Boxer. He's huge (when I adopted him they said he'd be 30 to 35 lbs) Yeah right, they saw me coming. He's 80 lbs. Gator loves to watch TV. His favorite channel is Animal Planet but he has been watching the whole one hour of Legeneary Lighthouses on PBS. If I ever find my camera again, I will take pictures of him watching Legendary Lighthouses and post them.

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 10-24-99).]

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94187 10/24/99 05:33 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
From the dejavu department here's an earlier pet thread .

__
/im

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94188 10/24/99 10:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have a cat, but I don't have a picture of her handy, buy oddly enough I have a picture of Sean's pet. I had offered to pet sit if he was going out of town and he took me up on the offer this summer while he was gone for a weekend. All though the little fellow did chew the leg off one of our end tables we enjoyed having him over and the kids loved playing with him too.
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=40133&a=450382&p=13015091&Sequence=1[/img]

[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner (edited 10-24-99).]

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94189 10/24/99 11:40 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hey Mark, ...Is that the Beaver you're having instead of turkey on Thanksgiving? Cut that tail into strips and deep fry it...hmmm, hmmm! Doesn't get any better than that! (LOL)

Bob

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94190 10/24/99 11:44 PM
DeDo Offline
Our family has a Greater Swiss Mountain dog. She was my walking/hiking companion for years but now at almost 10, she can't do the long ones anymore.
We also have a "wild" cat that we've been feeding and having sleep in our garage for fourteen years.
Last but not least is my red-eared slider turtle. He's been with me since 1971, long before the husband and kids. Got him as a baby from Woolworths back in the days when selling baby turtles wasn't illegal. He's not the size of a fifty cent piece anymore!
We'll always have pets in our home, (along with lighthoues).

Donna

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94191 10/25/99 12:21 AM
JeffB Offline
We have four dogs in our household, all rescuees from the local animal shelter. No papers, but all loved. One is a Blue Healer/ Doberman mix. Another is a little black Cocker Spanial, though we believe there might be something else there too. The third is a German Shepherd/St. Bernard mix. He's quite a handful. and the last one we got a couple weekends ago. Half Bloodhound, and half Black Lab. Oh yes! The boys used to have two iguanas also!!!

Jeff
Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94192 10/25/99 02:08 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Here is a picture our our cat, Bailey. We adopted her from the animal shelter about 3 years ago. We often go back to the shelter to visit the animals, and we make regular donations of food, litter, toys, and towels to help make what usually and unfortunately ends up being a short stay for most of these animals, a little more tolerable for them.

Bailey brings us great joy. Adopting her was a wonderful thing. (She likes being on top of HL curios as well as in the sun)

-Todd

Because duh! You need img tags, not url tags!

[This message has been edited by Todd Shorkey (edited 10-25-99).]

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94193 10/25/99 06:36 AM
Firstmate Offline
Enjoying reading about the HL pets! Y'all can be REAL thankful we're not high-tech enough to do web pix, otherwise you'd see our 2 Weimaraners, Max and Morgen, in front of ALL the lighthouses we've visited! (Did 'ya see Gravedigger's Baron? Ours look just like Baron, except they're solid light grey-brown). They LOVE going to lighthouses - they get lots of attention tied up outside when we do the tower, museum, and gift shop thing. The "M's" are very busy dogs. Both are Certified Pet Partners and visit patients in various medical facilities where they are sometimes used in rehab situations. They also visit schools and help kids learn how to behave safely with dogs. Both dogs were terrific hunters - but nowadays - we just carry cameras out in the brush! The"M's" LIVE to hear, "Do you want to go for a walk?" And, of course, they love to hear, "Do you want to go to the boat?"

Seattle Sailors

'Bama Boaters
Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94194 10/26/99 02:51 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Don't know about the "of choice" part but 5 cats live here: Max(the scardy cat), Spike (the party animal), Boris (the wierd bow-legged one), Mama (the mean one) and her daughter Melanie (the huntress). If I had my druthers, I'd keep Spike and Mel and "retire" the others.

"Table for 5, please."

Clock-wise beginning at 1 o'clock:

Mama, Max, Boris, Melanie and Spike

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=39476&a=775388&p=14223963&Sequence=1[/img]

Mombo

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 12-08-99).]

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94195 10/26/99 09:36 AM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Hi Mombo,

I was waiting for you to post about Boris. One of the first threads I read was about your cat Boris and I thought he had quite a personality to him.

Joanne

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94196 10/27/99 03:59 AM
S
sCalBG Offline
S
We have two miniature schnauzers. Of course THEY don't know they're 'miniature'. The way they protect their 'property', you'd think they were Pit Bulls!

Winston is the male and the most lovable dog you'll ever know, and a true 'lap dog'. On the other hand, Sophie rules. She has good and bad days (dare I say, just like a female!) I know I'll hear about that comment!

These two are lord and lady of the house. We are only here to feed and walk. Oh, and provide eye candy in the form of ever-increasing numbers of HL's.

Bill
@ @
.<.
_U_
Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94197 10/27/99 09:04 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Digger,

Just want you to know that Baron is really a great looking dog. After seeing your picture and then looking at my couch potato, Gator, I realized Gator needs a little more activity in his life. The vet agrees, he just went for a check up today and needs to lose 15 lbs. Hopefully he will look like Baron soon.

Joanne

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94198 10/28/99 01:15 AM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Mombo,

I used to have a pet tarantula named "Boris".

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94199 10/28/99 02:06 AM
Art Offline
Digger,

In a previous life I too had a tarantula. His name was Nacho. You see, I had this friend, Joe, who was deathly afraid of spiders. I was going to name the tarantula "Joe" in his honor. My girlfriend at the time (who couldn't stand my friend Joe) exclaimed, "Not Joe! Anything but Joe!" So I named my spider "Not Joe", which I TexMexicanized to "Nacho".

-Arturo

-Art
Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94200 10/28/99 02:23 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
ALRIGHT!!!!!!! some arachnid lovers.

I too had a tarantula named Boris!!
John Entwistle seemed to pre-name them for alot of people, I guess. Small world after all. Raised her during my college years, when we used to let her loose in the dorm room to crawl around our arms....the girls used to totally friek, our courage was up though after a few downed 'hairy buffalos' behind us. Becki absolutely HATED it! LOL.

I still have some pictures of her, I'll have to scan and post some time.

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94201 10/29/99 09:59 PM
Kaiz Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I can't believe it!! All these crazy people with tarantulas...our little Mexican Red-Legged is named Buford. He is currently 20+ years old. I bought him as a joke for Mike when we first started dating (I think the joke has really been on me). He has outlived a rabbit and two dogs!!!

But--our "real" kids are two nine-year-old German Shepherds. They are brother and sister and their names are Derek and Porsche.

Patty

[This message has been edited by Kaiz (edited 10-29-99).]

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94202 10/31/99 02:50 PM
K
Karen Smith Offline
K
I found my Pet of Choice, quite my accident. I wanted to get a dog but, was not sure what breed to get! But, something small and loveable was at the top of my list.
So, I went to Pets Mart and browsed through their books on pet breeds. I had always wanted a Dobie but, I really didn't want a dog quite that large in size. Kinda, a lap dog! I then, came upon a Minature Pinscher, WOW! a baby Dobie, but, small I thought! :-)
Next steps, was to find a breeder and my new addition, to the family. I guess faith was with me; because, everything just seemed to come together!
I made contact with the breeder, found the dog, I was looking for. But, she was born so small, it was questionable, if she would make it! Well with a positive attitude, I went out and started buying the items needed for the new addition to the family!
The happy day arrived, and off I went to pick her up this precious little dog of less than a pound!(12oz)
For over a month, I had to hand feed her, every 4 hours, yes, day and night! I believe because of such close contact with her, sometimes; I think she thought I was her mother!
Today, Samantha is 4.5 lbs, she is 4 years and 8 months but; I think she considers herself the keeper of the 1/2 acre property. I fed her a special diet, of meat, poultry, vegetables and vitamins, because, she is so small. I just want every bite of food; to be the best she can get! Broccoli, spinach and carrots are her favorites!
Yes, Samantha makes a good watch dog! She warns me, when someone is on the property. But, she is definely a lover not a fighter kind of dog, as she cuddles up to me! Awe!

[This message has been edited by Karen Smith (edited 10-31-99).]

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94203 12/08/99 03:29 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Scroll up to see my furry friends!

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94204 12/10/99 02:58 AM
D
D'Wanda Offline
D
My daughter and her two sons (ages 4 and 2) have custody of my cat, Molly Grace. We can't have pets where we live, so Molly lives with (and takes care of) Jamie and Hunter. I visit regularly and pay "cat support" faithfully, but was recently told by Jamie that Molly is no longer my cat, that she is now his, and I am her "Grammy" also. Molly is 8-1/2 years old, I got her from the vet when she was 6 weeks old. She has lived in Texas several times (even has a bandana to prove it) and now resides in Arkansas, her birthplace. She is an American Short Hair with pale orange patches on her gray and cream fur. She can be rowdy, but loves those little boys dearly. She used to walk the edge of Jamie's cradle and come get us if he cried. She considers the boys to be her babies and grooms them when she can. It is a riot to watch them squirm when she starts with the grooming. It doesn't last long, they are up and away as soon as possible to avoid that sandpaper tongue. If given a chance she will sleep with either of the boys, but prefers Jamie's warm water bed. She is a spoiled girl, that Molly.

Grammy
Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94205 12/10/99 10:49 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
We have a rabbit (Thumper) and a frog (Robin after Kermit's nephew).
My daughter has a Starfish with actual stars on the arms for suction. I couldn't believe it was real, until she made it move!
I always wanted seahorses but don't want to deal with a salt water tank.

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 12-10-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94206 12/11/99 03:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sue....... I just thought I would let you know that once you get past 3 cats you are in the crazy lady down the street category,
once my own mother had acquired 4 cats, me and my sisters had her committed on general principal!

Just thought you should know

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94207 01/30/00 09:24 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Just more lighthearted fun.

Joanne

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94208 01/31/00 03:46 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
My partner and I have a Siamese cat---"Vegas"--- who has been boss of the house for 7 years. Last summer we acquired a 5 year-old, 85 lb Chesapeake Bay Retriever named Chessie. The previous owners opened a daycare center at their home and couldn't keep her due to liability issues.

The cat is still the boss.

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94209 01/31/00 11:45 PM
easya Offline
My pet of choice? Why it's Barbi Benton, of course!

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94210 02/01/00 12:20 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Joe - I think Barbi was Hef's 'mate not Guccione's Pet wasn't she?

Barbi's probably old enough to be a grandma by now.

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94211 02/01/00 06:18 PM
easya Offline
John, I stand corrected. But as far as her age, I dont discriminate after all I am a grandpa. Sorry, get back to real pets.

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94212 02/01/00 10:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok, We have been avoiding our baby pictures long enough. Here is our wonderful crew taken in October. It's never a dull moment with this gang. And Maximillian our 22 pound Maine Coone (alley version) kitty adds a tremendous dimension to the hilarity. Karen would like to have a tarantula like some of the rest of the group, but we haven't gotten one yet.

[This message has been edited by Michael and Karen Power (edited 02-01-2000).]

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94213 02/02/00 08:51 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Our household consists of:
Keisha - malmute/husky mix
Snowball - Samoyed
Bridgette - cocker spaniel
John Doe - cat of unknow parentage
Shazam & Keets - parakeets
8 finches
2 fish

but no partridge in a pear tree.

------------------
Randall & Linda Ronne

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94214 02/04/00 02:15 AM
J
JULB Offline
J
A Weinmeraner named CRYSTAL, and a Miniature Beagel named JOSIE... Truly an odd couple!

JB
Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94215 02/04/00 03:32 PM
easya Offline
My wife, Dee and I have the best two pets. They are a cat and a dog who run the home and can do no wrong.
Tito, the tabby cat, was found in a neighbors garage at 7 weeks old. He was named after my boyhood hero Tito Francona of the Cleveland Indians during the early sixties. He thinks he's tough but he's really a little softie.
Amanda is a mixed (mostly cocker) little gal saved from the pound at 6 weeks. She was named after Amanda Blake "Miss Kitty" from "Gunsmoke", TV series from the sixties.
I guess that tells you how OLD we are.

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94216 02/04/00 04:15 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
In college I had a cat named Tito. Actually there were two, my Tito was 'Little Tito' and her momma was 'Big Tito'. I think thats a great name for a cat and you post reminded me of her.

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94217 02/04/00 08:36 PM
Jake Offline
I have somewhere over 60 pets now. They are Coquille and Barnegat (no relation to the Wacko Joke!), Morris Island, Bald Head, North Head, La Jument, well, you get the idea!

But in all seriousness, we have no pets.

Jakers

Jakers
Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94218 02/05/00 04:06 AM
J
JULB Offline
J
Oh Yes!!! I almost forgot the fish! Always gottahave FISH.

How could you love something near the water so much (LH) and not have fish in an aquarium? Anybody besides Rrronne got Fish?

[This message has been edited by JULB (edited 02-05-2000).]

JB
Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94219 02/05/00 04:24 AM
Art Offline
Yep. Got fish. Three aquaria operating right now. Another six or so empty up in the attic. I've had fish all my life. I've had everything from goldfish and guppies to exotic tropical species to native species. I've had some fish that liked to be petted and some that would like to eat my hand if I got close enough. I've had them in the back yard in garden pools and I've had them in my bedroom. Sounds kinda like One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish meets Green Eggs and Ham.

-Dr. Herbert R. Theodor Seuss Geisel-Axelrod

-Art
Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94220 02/05/00 03:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We forgot our two 60 gallon aquariums and two more large tanks that are in storage. One of them will be set up soon in our bedroom, just across from the bed. I like falling asleep while watching the fish dreamily swimming in the water (it's our non-agressive community tank).

Art, sounds like we've lived the same fish experiences you have. Reading you post was like reading what I would have written.

Re: HL Collector's Pet of Choice #94221 02/20/00 10:28 PM
J
jimirwin Offline
J
I have 3 cats, and a dog named joe. I couldn't pick one thats my favorite, so I guess my favoret pet would be my pet split rock. How Apropriate.

------------------
JIM "POPZ" IRWIN

JIM "POPZ" IRWIN

Moderated by  Bob Ott 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users