cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hurricane Katrina #94069 08/28/05 09:40 AM
DMancini Offline OP
OP Offline
My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone in the path of Katrina -- Weather Channel says it is now a Category 5 storm.

This one could be really bad -- they are comparing it to Camille.

Stay safe.

Diane
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94070 08/28/05 11:02 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We don't get storms like this here in England. But we just watched a drama-documentary about hurricane Andrew. What a frightening prospect.

We will keep you all in our prayers !

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94071 08/28/05 11:39 AM
Grover Offline
Diane,

Not only a 5, but, heading for New Orleans, SO MUCH of that city sits below sea level ... "catastrophic" is the word all are using ...

Yes, positive thoughts for the safety of those in the path of this storm are in order.

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94072 08/28/05 01:03 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
We're here on the OBX (more on that later). It's beautiful here right now, but who knows what's coming in. Hopefully, we won't have to evacuate...though if we do, our plan is to go out to the Blue Ridge Mountains while the storm comes through, and then, if possible, come back to the Banks to finish our vacation. Even though I've always wanted to go to the Blue Ridge/Shenandoah area, I hope that I will be able to under better conditions.

My prayers are with all those in the path of Katrina...I didn't realise that it was a Cat. 5! Hopefully all those in the affected areas will be safe, and that all our lighthouses will be safe, too.

Not to get off-track, but which endangered lights will be endangered by this storm?

Re: Hurricane Katrina #94073 08/28/05 01:53 PM
Zachary Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by seagirt:

Not to get off-track, but which endangered lights will be endangered by this storm?
I'm guessing alot of Louisiana's

Re: Hurricane Katrina #94074 08/28/05 03:32 PM
Bob48 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You know you're in trouble when the Weather Channel says its people aren't staying to cover landfall. I'm going fishing with my son's Webelos den this adfternoon and will quitely reflect on the many storms we had when growing up in NC. We had a Cat 4 (Hazel in '54) but no 5. To this day I can show you damage from Hazel. When I lived in Biloxi in '90 you could still see loss from Camille in '69, e.g, nothing but concrete front steps on a lot. The impact from this storm could likely be felt long after many of us are gone.

Think we can get OPEC to make up our oil losses as "foreign aid"?

Bob, just plain Bob
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94075 08/28/05 10:12 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
This is VERY scary! Becky and me have been sitting by the TV all day and we are very concerned for the safety of anyone in the path of such a terrible storm. PLEASE do not take any unnecessary chances and do whatever the authorities instruct without question. Good luck and we will be praying for everyones safety!!

Re: Hurricane Katrina #94076 08/29/05 09:55 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Endangered lighthouses that come to mind, is West Rigolets (LA) and Sand Island AL). Both have had pervious damage, not sure if Sand Island got any repairs or not since last year, but the storm surge could be a problem. West Rigolets is privately owned and have not done anything to fix the lighthouse, even when someone offered to help.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94077 08/29/05 08:12 PM
Zachary Offline
I'm not completely sure of Katrina's path, but, I'm sure Pass Manchac is in it. The Southwest Pass and Pass A L'Outre lights might be in it as well.

Re: Hurricane Katrina #94078 08/30/05 01:52 AM
Lou Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Just saw a shot of the Biloxi lighthouse on news coverage. She's still standing tall.

Re: Hurricane Katrina #94079 08/30/05 09:48 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey people! In respect for the personal damage and deaths from this hurricane you need to quit worrying about lighthouses and start praying for the people of these areas that were hit. If you have never been through a hurricane you cannot imagine the stress that these people are under. Not only have they lost their homes and personal items that will never be able to be replaced, they may also have lost loved ones. A loss of a tower of brick, stone or wood that can be rebuilt pales in comparison to what these people are living with, and will live with, for months or years.

Rich
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94080 08/30/05 10:02 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rich,
I don't really think anyone means dis-respect to the victims.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94081 08/30/05 01:04 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I didn't mean that disrespect was being shown. I was just trying to bring to the surface that our main concerns and prayers should be for the people and not the towers. The thread started out as a genuine concern by Diane for the people and seemed to be slowly migrating towards more of a concern for the towers.

Rich
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94082 08/30/05 01:34 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Just saw a shot of the Biloxi lighthouse on news coverage. She's still standing tall.
Quote:
Hey people! In respect for the personal damage and deaths from this hurricane you need to quit worrying about lighthouses and start praying for the people of these areas that were hit.
I'm sure everyone's heart is in the right place in regards to the tremendous loss of property, personal injuries, and loss of life as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

The expression of concern over the lighthouses of the area is just what this board is about. If we didn't have an interest in lighthouses in general, we probably wouldn't be frequenting the Collector Forums.

Keep the victims of Katrina in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the info on the lights too.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Hurricane Katrina #94083 08/30/05 05:21 PM
Lou Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by flacoastie:
Hey people! In respect for the personal damage and deaths from this hurricane you need to quit worrying about lighthouses and start praying for the people of these areas that were hit. If you have never been through a hurricane you cannot imagine the stress that these people are under. Not only have they lost their homes and personal items that will never be able to be replaced, they may also have lost loved ones. A loss of a tower of brick, stone or wood that can be rebuilt pales in comparison to what these people are living with, and will live with, for months or years.
I'm going to try to hold back here.

I lived in Mobile for over 20 years. I went through Hurricane Frederic and the 2 weeks of no power or water that followed. I also was there for several smaller storms. I still have family there, and I haven't been able to contact them since lunchtime yesterday. I have been watching coverage of this storm for a couple of days now. It seems that this could be the worst hurricane to hit the U.S. in at least 50 years.

I thought it was worthwhile to point out one of the few positives that I have seen during the news coverage. I was in Biloxi a few weeks ago and saw the lighthouse for the first time in several years. I, for one, am happy that it is still standing. I would much prefer that the thousands of homes be intact.

On a related story, the chopper from WKRG in Mobile just showed Sand Island Light, which amazingly is still standing as well.

Those of you interested in local coverage might like to watch their stream at WKRG

Re: Hurricane Katrina #94084 08/30/05 09:39 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Well I saw that lighthouse standing yesterday too and was kind of hoping that they'd show the lantern room but they didn't. Obviously that wasn't the point of the news story.

Before we shoot Lou in the foot for his post, let's remember that it was posted yesterday and it just wasn't quite as obvious then, as today, just how much death and destruction this hurricane has caused.

And, it is only natural for us to wonder about the fate of the ligthouses in it's path.

Re: Hurricane Katrina #94085 08/31/05 05:56 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well said Mombo.

Re: Hurricane Katrina #94086 08/31/05 09:00 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Maybe someone can correct me, if I'm wrong. Maybe with all that's going on in our lives, we've missed something that I consider extremely important.

The United States of America, specifically our fellow Americans in the South, are suffering terribly from the effects of Hurricane Katrina. Some families have lost loved ones. Some families have lost everything they own. Some people may never recover to where they were before this storm struck.

Where are all the countries we assisted during their darkest days? Where is the hue and cry to send assistance to the good old USA? I've heard nothing about any foreign country we've assisted in the past offering anything to relieve the misery of our fellow Americans in the South.

mad Bob mad

Re: Hurricane Katrina #94087 08/31/05 09:44 AM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Where are all the countries we assisted during their darkest days? Where is the hue and cry to send assistance to the good old USA? I've heard nothing about any foreign country we've assisted in the past offering anything to relieve the misery of our fellow Americans in the South.
Very well said, Bob! Truer words were never spoken! My thoughts and prayers are with all of our fellow countrymen who are suffering in the aftermath of this terrible, killer storm! May God Bless them and all of the rescue workers who have come to help!

My best,
Paul Conlin
ALF Secretary

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94088 08/31/05 11:56 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks Bob and Paul for your question and concerns. First of all let me say that I'm sorry if I implied that people were more interested in lighthouses then people. I did not mean it that way. I just felt that the lights should maybe have been addressed in a separate post.

Having been through 3 hurricanes last year I can and am feeling some of the pain that these poor people are now facing. Our 3 hurricanes that hit us last year during a month period combined did not even come close to the destruction that our neighbors in LA, MS and AL are now facing. I guess that their utter frustrations and griefs really affected me.

Again, forgive me if I offended anyone.

Rich
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94089 08/31/05 12:21 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rich, that's a really good idea. I have always had difficulty trying to figure out how to word posts in the case of hurricanes or other natural disasters, to show my true concern for the people affected, while also trying to start a conversation about the lighthouses. As in this case, the lighthouse part kind of ballooned, and overtook the just-as-important-if-not-moreso people part.

Two threads would help us to express our concern for everyone affected, as well as discuss the lighthouses affected by the storm. It would allow us to also focus on each topic as much as neccessary, without feeling guilt about one overshadowing the other. This is a lighthouse forum first and foremost, whether it's the real thing or Harbour Lights replicas. It's just our nature to want to discuss them.

As for what Bob said....bravo bravo bravo! Think of earlier this year, when we sent so much aid to the countries affected by the tsunami. Where are they now? (This might be a bad example, due to the financial state of those countries, but it's a symbolic example.)

The US is there for most every major natural disaster in the world. We give them millions, billions, of dollars, to help them get back on their feet. Now, I understand that some countries might not be in the financial straits to help us, but they could at least send a statement of concern and condolence. It's a "what goes around comes around" thing....and nothing is coming around.

One other interesting point...I'm watching some TV programme that came on after the Today Show that I was watching. They were saying how this will raise prices on stuff - not just oil, which goes up if an oil worker sneezes on the job and hinders production, but also in markets like seafood (shrimp, catfish, oysters), cotton, and other products that make up the economies of the affected areas.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out...whole cities need to be rebuilt...homes and lives rebuilt. Places like Gulfport seem to have been wiped off the map. It's going to be a long, long time until LA, MS, and AL get back to normal.

Oh yeah, and don't forget about those in Florida who were affected by this storm before it's unbelievable turn...the media seems to have forgotten about them, but we shouldn't.

Re: Hurricane Katrina #94090 08/31/05 02:17 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
The Coast Guard has posted a new section this morning showing their current operations:
Hurricane Katrina
Watching the USCG in action yesterday...oh my gosh!

Judy

Judy
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94091 08/31/05 03:03 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Last night I emailed long time forum member Lamar Bevil to see how he fared as he lives in a suburb of Baton Rouge. Although he hasn't posted for some time, Lamar was a member of the Wacko Pin committee and was instrumental in it's production.

I received a reply back today and Lamar reports that he and his family are ok. Their home is ok but they suffered some tree and fence damage. They have no electricty, phone or cell phone service. Lamar was in his office where services were available and expressed his concern for those in New Orleans and other coastal areas.

If we can think of others who might need checking on please try to contact them and give us a report. Thanks.

Re: Hurricane Katrina #94092 08/31/05 07:01 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I was just addressing postcards for the PCE (special, Outer Banks postmarks for those in PCE 27!), when I came across the address for John Gaskill, the Bodie keeper's son. He lives in the US Naval Home in Gulfport, MS...which was devastated from the news footage I've seen. Anyone been able to check up on him?

Re: Hurricane Katrina #94093 08/31/05 09:37 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Greg, I don't personally know anything as yet, but if I can find out, I will post it on the forum. Glad you thought of him. And keep in mind he loves to hear from lighthouse folks.

Hope you guys are having a great week on the OBX smile

Judy

Judy
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94094 09/01/05 01:56 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I have good news about John Gaskill, son of the last keeper at Bodie Island Lighthouse. His residence is the USCG home in Gulfport.

I know he has been frantic with worry. Because of his injury at Bodie Island this summer, he hadn't been healing as he should and he was back in North Carolina with friends there this week who have been helping him.

John was able to talk to some of his friends at the USCG home, before they lost cell phone connection. Tonight on the news, there was footage of the residents at the home being removed through the roof. They are all being moved to DC to the Naval home.

Greg, thanks for asking about him.

Judy

Judy
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94095 09/02/05 11:02 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hey Judy, we sent our PCEs for John to the Gulfport adress. Do you think it would be wise to send them again? And if so, where do we send them?

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94096 09/07/05 12:24 AM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
God Bless all of you for remembering and checking up on Lamar and John. We continue to pray and support financially those who have lost so much.

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94097 09/07/05 11:20 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Stan & Margret,

I think you posted about sending a card to John Gaskill shortly after I had posted about his injury. So I expect he did receive it. He went back to Gulfport back then, but left to return to the home of friends in North Carolina when his injuries weren't healing properly.

I think he is still in Raleigh rather than in DC, but when I hear that he is back with his friends from the USCG home (now in DC) I'll let you know. I'm sure he would enjoy hearing from lighthouse folks at any time.

Thank you for your response. I know he appreciates every card and note sent.

Judy

Judy
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94098 09/07/05 07:56 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Judy,

Thanks so much on the update regarding John. I had asked Betty Parrish at the reunion if she had any info and unfortunately she did not.

I'm very glad to hear John is safe and sound in NC smile

Is there an address that we might write to him in NC? I have not mailed by PCE26 cards as yet.

Thanks!

Melody
Re: Hurricane Katrina #94099 09/07/05 10:53 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I.O.'s son who lives and works for Immigration Control in San Diego was sent to New Orleans a couple of days ago. He and some other members of his special response team are there to help out with law enforcement. In a phone call to his sister last night he told her that the situation there is 100 times worse than it appears on T.V. frown

Re: Hurricane Katrina #94100 09/09/05 12:07 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I think we really don't, and can't, understand the scope of this from the TV or newspaper or Internet. It's not because they aren't trying hard enough or reporting well enough, they just can't communicate it. frown

Moderated by  Bob Ott 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,337 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users