Print Thread
A Christmas Brainstorm... #93004 12/07/99 01:16 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
I was just reading an article about the Flying Santa, and it gave me a harebrain idea (what's new). It is probably too late for this year, maybe not, but something to possibly consider for next Christmas....

Many collectors have become close friends on the Forums through the years, and occasionally send each other various items they are looking for, trades, etc. I thought it would be a fun idea to create an inexpensive, anonymous gift trading idea for Forum members who want to participate. This would be my initial idea of how it would work. Just curious if anyone would think this is interesting or stupid.

1) Participants send their home address (via e-mail) to one chosen person who would organize and run the scheme.

2) The person running the program then shuffles around and e-mails a different person's name and address secretly to each participant, in some random fashion. Each participant then has only one person's address. Every particpant is included only once in the program.

3)Around December 20th, everyone mail their gift to the person that was given to them.

4) Gifts must somehow be lighthouse or nautical oriented. Gifts must be between $5 and $15 in value, but not any more.

5)Gifts could be anything from postcards, ornaments, posters, calendars, photographs, screensavers, knick-knacks, stamps, snowglobes, doormats, books, etc, etc. Even funny "white elephant" type gifts accepted (lighthouse shaped bottle opener, etc). Gifts do not have to be Harbour Light items, although inexpensive HL memorabilia would be accepted.

6) After the holidays, we create a thread where anyone who wants to can tell about the gift they received.

Stupid idea? too much going on right now to deal with it? this year? next year? other ideas? just curious if this is something that sounds interesting. Everyone probably has something laying around they don't need anymore, etc. Curious of the feedback, and if we could get 10 or more people interested. If so, maybe pick a control person and deadline to send in the addresses via e-mail by. Any feedback? Get a life Rod is an acceptible answer. LOL

-Surfing Santa

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 12-07-99).]

Re: A Christmas Brainstorm... #93005 12/07/99 02:24 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Taking a page from the Flying Santa instead of trading with each other, why not have everybody get a lighthouse type present from $10 - $20 and send them to one person to distribute to say a Children's Hospital on Christmas day, or maybe a children's home (orphanage or the like). I know that when the Colts visit Riley Children's Hospital these very sick kids are on top of the world at least for a while. This would probably have to be for next year, as it would take some organizing and getting permission e.t.c…… It really is better to give than receive. BTW a Little Light of Mine would fit in that price range and light up a child's Christmas. Finally what better way to get a young person interested in the history of lighthouses.

Saint WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: A Christmas Brainstorm... #93006 12/08/99 02:44 AM
drwhok9 Offline
I agree with the idea to give to children. It is a little too late for this Christmas, but why not in Jan or Feb anyway? Children in hospitals should be remembered all year. Then do a really bang up job of it next Christmas.

------------------
Jim

Dr. Who ?

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: A Christmas Brainstorm... #93007 12/08/99 03:12 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I think we could do both, Rod, but maybe next year versus last year for the exchange idea. We'd have to start early so everyone has time to respond when forum attendance is high. I think it's a neat idea, especially seeing that there won't be any reunion next year. Another way of keeping in touch on a more personal level. If I'm still around I'll volunteer to be the contact person.

The donation idea is great but am wondering how many kids would really appreciate the lighthouse models. Aren't there lighthouse books for kids? Maybe some who are in a bad way and can't do much but read would enjoy them. If there is an assortment of these books we could send a contribution to a coordinator (Paul or Jim?) who could purchase and distribute on our behalf? The kids could share the different ones. In the dead of winter more people are checking the forums on a regular basis and participation would be greater for this idea also.

Get a Life II

Re: A Christmas Brainstorm... #93008 12/08/99 08:53 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I'm for BOTH projects. If we can afford to spend $$$ for HL, I believe that we can afford to spend a few dollars on each other as well as for children. I feel like I know so many of you, but have only met 1 other HL collector! A yearly gift swap would be a way to make the bond stronger. I am always in favor of charity- we could identify a new philanthropy each year and donate something to it! Just my opinion.

Chris G
Re: A Christmas Brainstorm... #93009 12/08/99 10:53 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
When I said "lighthouse type present" that was to include books, and such but not calendars. Calendars could be a negative,,, counting the days. I think that the effort of getting an item and sending it to a central location would be more in the spirit of Christmas than sending money. I do think this would have to be next year and not this Christmas, which would give plenty of time for details.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: A Christmas Brainstorm... #93010 12/08/99 12:48 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Secret Santa, a good idea!
Might be better for a Christmas in July, when it might be better appreciated for the thought and not the gift.
We used to have a 'secret pal' in work to raise morale. You'd get a name with birthday and anniversary info, and you would surprise your pal throughout the year with gifts ranging from silly to thoughtful.
I'm not endorsing, just giving ideas.

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 12-08-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: A Christmas Brainstorm... #93011 12/08/99 05:50 PM
LamarB Offline
I'm for both. Neat idea! Count me in.

Re: A Christmas Brainstorm... #93012 12/08/99 07:48 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Good ideas both! You can count me in for them.

Re: A Christmas Brainstorm... #93013 12/09/99 01:24 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I also like both the ideas. Also would agree that we need to plan for next year, so that we have time to watch for that special item for both a child and a fellow collector. This would mean we ought to at least look at "ground rules" sometime fairly soon so we can start planning. Should be a lot of fun.

Dave

Moderated by  Bob Ott 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 821 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users