cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Our Christmas Eve Visit With The Lighthouse Keeper's Wife - #9165 01/05/04 04:02 PM
Roxie Offline OP
OP Offline

Connie, My Husband Ken and Myself.

On Meeting Connie Small ----

Well, I am sure that read the thread about the Holiday welcome that we had at the Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse on the 20th. Well, I had made a Christmas card for Connie Small and we asked everyone who visited the Open House that day to sign it for her. We got dozens of signatures and well wishes. I then took some of the photos of the day and put them in the card. Jeremy D'Entremont was nice enough to arrange a meeting with her so that we could present her with the card. What a treat it was! To go and see her on Christmas Eve! Well, she was just as amazing in person as she is in books or on tv. She was quick with the stories about her lighthouse experiences. She really is a person with rare qualities and a wonderful slant on things. She showed us this rock she found in Lubec that had these intricate markings on them and she showed us all the different ways to look at this "painted rock" and find various images and pictures. And it was fascinating to hear her talk about the simple things that she collected, it really showed that she had an artist's eye. Then of course her lighthouse stories were just a delight to listen to. She told a story about kittens that lived underneath mines at Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse, and their daily visit to her doorstep. She spoke of the thrill it was to be up in the tower of the lighthouse watching a little matchstick slowly come up on the horizon and watch it turn into a boat. She talked about the sad day she left the Portsmouth Harbor Light Station and how emotional it was. She talked about how important it is to pass the simple joys and history of lighthouses to future generations, too.

It was a truly wonderful experience meeting her, and I was happy to tell her what an inspiration she is to me, and how she is a legend in the Lighthouse world. Thanks again to Jeremy for making this possible.

Marblehead, Mass. Lighthouse, you will always have a very special place in our hearts. ....We've made the journey as far south as New Jersey, as far north as Canada. Over 100 lighthouses visited.... and so many more to go.
Re: Our Christmas Eve Visit With The Lighthouse Keeper's Wife - #9166 01/05/04 04:22 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Roxie,

Thanks for sharing your experience of a visit with Connie Small. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I envy the opportunity you had to visit with her. She has to be a remarkable person.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Our Christmas Eve Visit With The Lighthouse Keeper's Wife - #9167 01/05/04 05:23 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Roxie...

What a wonderful way to spend Christmas Eve. smile Connie Small is an amazing person at her age to still have such good recall of her lighthouse experiences.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 858 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users