cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H-L packaging... #8868 05/22/02 10:01 AM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
I have but a few low numbered pieces, having started in this hobby late. I have heard that H-L used bubble wrap and peanuts in early models. When did they switch to form-fitting styrofoam?

I had a dealer explain that he didn't have the storage facility for 'full' boxes, so he emptied his display boxes and taped the paperwork inside the folded box, wrapping the light in bubblewrap when sold. I appreciated his honesty - and I have since bought display items from him.

Another dealer took a display model I was purchasing into the back room... I heard bubble wrap unrolling. The somewhat uneven box had a staple through it. I looked inside... the paperwork was stapled to the side. The light was numbered in the one-eighties... newer than some of the formed-styrofoam boxed lights I had bought elsewhere. The salesperson insisted they were delivered that way. I left the light...

I understand that storage is a problem in these small stores. Apparently, honesty is as well. I have bought lights without papers, even one in a generic 'gift' box. They were reduced price closeouts - this was full retail.

When did they switch from peanuts to formed styrofoam?

John

Re: H-L packaging... #8869 05/22/02 04:38 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
There isn't a perfect answer to this question. Not all the edition size of any one lighthouse is made at the same time.

Sometimes, pieces that started out shipping in a bubble wrap bag and 'peanuts' ended up in form fitting Styrofoam.

I believe the first piece that had some styrofoam packaging was #151 Jupiter Inlet FL. Some of these had a softer foam with a smooth plastic 'skin'.

Harbour Lights has said that 'packaging' includes the box only and when you find a piece with the original and correctly numbered box, then you have what it takes to be 'complete'.

But perhaps a more 'pickey' collector will insist that any retired pieces they buy must have the hard foam insert -- assuming it originally came with one.

Other collectors are happy to find a retired piece with or without a box selling for retail.

It's really your call. Are you expecting sometime in the future to sell your collection? More important than the box will be the condition of the piece then.

Re: H-L packaging... #8870 05/23/02 12:34 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
John, Thanks for answering that question, I have been wondering if I should keep the foam stuff, or just the box and paperwork. Other collectibles lines encourage you to keep everything. Since I collect lots of different things, storage space was beginning to be a problem!

Mel

Melody
Re: H-L packaging... #8871 05/23/02 09:36 AM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
John,

Well, that may make my storage problems easier. I have recently acquired a large number of H-L's, resulting in my displacing my old woodworking magazines and other paper 'collections' for box storage. Discarding the foam, while keeping the boxes folded will really cut-down on my needed storage space - just as it did in the store. A roll of bubble wrap & some peanuts can be used to pack them for moving - or possible future sales. I just had a problem with the sales clerk's insistence that the light was delivered like that. Pehaps a return visit is indicated.

John

Re: H-L packaging... #8872 05/23/02 07:39 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
John,

One way that the Harbour Light wasn't delivered was with the paperwork stapled to the box. The paperwork has always been 'floating' in the boxes. And another tidbit on the paperwork for the early pieces, no tent card was included. The tent cards came along after the first few years. There was a time when you could get a complete set of the tent cards from Harbour Lights. I don't know if that's still the case or not.

Rick

Re: H-L packaging... #8873 05/23/02 07:47 PM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Tent cards are still available as a complete set for a nominal price from HL. I think it was about$7-8.

Geo H.
Re: H-L packaging... #8874 05/23/02 10:08 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John (Stainz), be careful about discarding some of the form fitting foam from the newer lighthouses. Many of the new lights have custom designed foam to prevent damage to small pieces on the lighthouse when packing. Eddystone is an example, as well as SOL. If you want to move or ship them sucessfully in the future, that foam may be worth saving.
Jim
Johnson

Re: H-L packaging... #8875 05/24/02 12:51 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
A note on the tent cards;
If you only need 3 or 4 (or so), just call Harbour Lights or send them an email and they will send them to you at NO CHARGE.

Stephanie

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: H-L packaging... #8876 05/24/02 12:16 PM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow. Problems. Yes, I remember some trees separately wrapped. I may just keep the entire box & packaging. I will need some tent cards as a few of the displayed lights I've purchased came without them. I could get a complete set... and leave display room for EVERYTHING... yeah, as if I could afford that much display room - not to mention the rare LE models! It is axiomatic now - I would have trouble affording the $7-8 for the set!

Thanks for the suggestion re a few cards, Stephanie. And thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

John

Re: H-L packaging... #8877 05/25/02 12:38 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
I have heard that H-L used bubble wrap and peanuts in early models. When did they switch to form-fitting Styrofoam?

The transition between the peanuts and the styrofoam was in 1995 and 1996. Back in the days when collectors got involved in trying to trace down the lighting rods and other variations. I thought it would have been neat to trace down which lighthouses changed from peanuts to Styrofoam and their numbers. I never started anything and neither did anyone else.

Its probably too late to do a survey now a days. Many collectors probably forgot which ones had what. And the enthusiasm about the early models is gone compared to the nineties.

From Memory, Some of the ones that changed from peanuts to Styrofoam insert are:

Big Bay
Jupiter
Cape Mears
Scituate
Charlotte Genesse
Wind point
Round island
Brant Point
Highlands

The ones that change over from the peanuts to the soft foam with the plastic cover where some of the latter 5500’s like:

St George Reef
Umpqa River
Yaquina Head
Cape Blanco

Daniel

DANIEL

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,031 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users