Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
David Winter Cottages #86384 09/02/00 10:12 AM
J
Joanne Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I was looking on ebay this morning at the auctions of one particular seller and saw something that intrigued me. Listed was a David Winter 1999 Christmas piece and it's name is "Bill and Nancy's House Christmas 1999. Is this a coincidence or is it a tribute to our own Mr. and Mrs. Younger?

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 09-02-2000).]

Re: David Winter Cottages #86385 09/26/00 11:42 AM
Rock Online
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Joanne, I noticed it too this past summer. I'm inclined to believe it's a tribute to the Youngers...didn't Harry Hine's father sculpt for David Winter? Also, if you look closely at some of the earliest 1991 pieces (like North/Admiralty Head, West Quoddy) you can see a definite David Winter influence.

Re: David Winter Cottages #86386 09/26/00 02:38 PM
Art Offline
John Hine was to David Winter Cottages what Bill Younger is to Harbour Lights. I say "was" because David Winter Cottages is now controlled by Enesco (the Precious Moments people, among others). I don't think that John Hine is affiliated with DWC any longer. Bill Younger, I believe, started his career with David Winter Cottages before starting Y&A and HL. And since Bill & Nancy's daughter married John Hine's son, it is very possible that Bill & Nancy's place was named for our own Bill & Nancy Younger. I have wondered the same about this piece and came to the same conclusion that this is a possibility.

I think that I have this info right. John, Paul, or anyone else: please correct as required.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: David Winter Cottages #86387 09/26/00 03:58 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
In a nutshell before the Youngers started Harbour Lights, Bill was David Winter Cottages in America. He was the distributor of the product for all of the USA. Everything else that Art has in his post is basically the rest of the story.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: David Winter Cottages #86388 10/11/00 12:28 AM
RoyMcB Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Joanne,
I read this thread shortly after it was posted and I was not sure how to respond. I wanted to be sure that my information was correct before sharing it with you and this is the first opportunity I have had to respond. The previous comments made by Art and Paul are correct in that Bill Younger did at one time work with David Winter and John Hines. You see, I have been collecting David Winter Cottages for 20 years. The first time I actually met Bill Younger was in Florida at a David Winter event. As was mentioned above David, Bill and Nancy are well aquainted with one another.

The David Winter piece called "Bill and Nancy's House" was created by David as part of The Oliver Twist Christmas Collection. David often creates several pieces which make up a series. This particular piece was created as a Christmas piece for 1999. I too thought that David had created something with Bill and Nancy in mind but such is not the case here. The story behind the piece centers around the characters,(Bill Sikes, his wife Nancy and Oliver), found in the tale of Oliver Twist. I spoke with David about this piece when he was in St. Louis for our local club event sponsering David Winter Cottages. We discussed the true story behind the piece. I told David that I thought Bill and Nancy would enjoy the piece regardless of the story behind it and that I had plans to give this piece to Bill and Nancy as a Christmas gift,(along with some other HL collectors), and would he please personalize the signature. He was more than happy to oblige. We gave the piece to Bill on one of his visits to St. Louis. We shared some of David's comments with Bill and laughter was heard by all. For me this piece will always serve as a reminder of the relationship that Bill and Nancy have with David despite the way it originated. I respect and admire the artist in both men.

I know this was a long explanation but I hope it has answered your question about the piece.

Carolyn

Roy & Carolyn
Re: David Winter Cottages #86389 10/11/00 01:21 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Great story Carolyn. Thanks for sharing it with the group.

__
/im

Re: David Winter Cottages #86390 11/07/00 11:15 AM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
David Winter was my very first experience with collectibles. I began a tradition of buying a piece or two for my mom every Christmas. I was fascinated by the detail---and the elusiveness of that darn mouse (much more challenging than finding the seahorse most times).

As time went on, I changed my gift-buying habits, and it wasn't until maybe 7 years later that I discovered the "WOW!™"-ness of Harbour Lights. Apart from these two lines, I've never even remotely come close to buying from another company.

Re: David Winter Cottages #86391 11/09/00 04:40 PM
J
Jim Johnston Offline
J
I too also started with David Winter back in 1982. My wife and I were young just starting a family. We have about 150 David Winter pieces and another 130 or so Lilliput Lane. As time went on, the cost of each piece rose to where we couldn't keep up with all the new releases. Our family grew with every passing year. We tried selling them, but found out the market was flat. Our cottage collection now sits in the attic. My collecting habits have changed to Harbour Lights and will remain a faithful HL collector as long as they don't come out with three or four new releases a year that are equal to Navesink.
Jim

P.S. My first David Winter Cottage was Ivy Cottage
My favorite and still displayed piece is Robin Hood's Hideaway (first year collectors society piece)

Re: David Winter Cottages #86392 11/09/00 09:20 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Shortly after I started collecting HL I went to the dealer for the first time. I couldn't believe my eyes! And the fact that there was so much stuff that people "collected". Prior to this my "collections" were just a few pieces of carnival or depression glass or odds and ends of china that I found at thrift stores, antique stores or was given by a favorite aunt. When I looked at all these offerings at the store I was most impressed by the David Winter sculptures, before I studied the Harbour Lights more carefully!

The last time I was in this store a couple weeks ago I thought I might check out the display to see if perchance they had this "Bill and Nancy" cottage. It took a couple trips around the store before I finally found a sign next to a very few pieces which said, "40% off all remaining pieces, we are discontinuing this line".

Re: David Winter Cottages #86393 11/10/00 12:57 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My first collection was also David Winter. I still keep my collection out to enjoy but I no longer buy them. There are probably 150+ in my collection. I have also collected Ray Day American Landmarks. I must say my most favorite to collect now are the Harbour Lights. That will not change any time soon. I'll never get tired of looking at lighthouses.

Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: David Winter Cottages #86394 11/11/00 03:21 PM
D
don stewart Offline
D
I also have a large david winter collection,started in 1993. I only collect H.L.now, and would love to convert some D.W. to H.L. but as Jim noted D.W. is FLAT.

Moderated by  Bob Ott 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,471 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users