Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My Next Purchase #8420 05/21/99 07:46 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I hear a lot of discussion about what is coming out on the market. I am a serious collector who is acquiring older models first before they go to a secondary market. I plan to purchase Highland and Wind Point next week. Next month I'll acquire Hillsboro and La Jument. My reason is that they are being held by my dealer at retail for me.

Does anyone out there want John to have a post for discussion by newbie or conservative spenders on linited means.

Moby

Moby
Re: My Next Purchase #8421 05/22/99 01:27 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Your question fits well with topics covered in 'By The Numbers'. Collecting with a goal in mind allows you plan your acquisitions regardless if you plan on spending alot or a little. Check out the free Excel spreadsheet available in that forum. It may offer some new ideas about prioritizing your purchases - particularly if you look to acquire soon-to-retire or older models.

Are there certain regions or models you prefer to collect - or are you a true wacko, ultimately going after them all?

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: My Next Purchase #8422 05/22/99 10:10 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
ultimate WACKO, I'M AFFRAID

MOBY

Moby
Re: My Next Purchase #8423 05/23/99 01:53 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Fear not! Welcome to the UGATA club - at least half the fun is getting there. Its nice to know there are still folks willing to start down this path.

Consider this - right now is one of the best times to acquire the mid-range priced models. Its a buyer's market, but I don't think it'll last forever.

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: My Next Purchase #8424 05/24/99 06:54 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Tim,

I've gone over to by the numbers. Talking about my efforts and want to talk to those just as frustrated at times as I am. A release forum for real wackos.

Moby of Tidewater

Moby
Re: My Next Purchase #8425 05/24/99 10:27 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
My next purchase...??? When the next new HL is released it will be purchased. I have also been buying AB ships/boats when the right deal passes by. Still looking for good deals on the 9 LEs I'm missing but no luck yet. All comes to those who wait...time will tell!

Bob

Re: My Next Purchase #8426 05/24/99 12:01 PM
Q
QC Offline
Q
My next purchase? This morning I will renew my Society Membership.(I got permission from my wife yesterday. Yeah!)I always by a HL on vacation, at Long Beach Island, NJ. Then I beg on my birthday,and Christmas. HA! Father's day is not far away.
I say I want to collect NJ lighthouses, but I usually buy the one that "hits my fancy". My dream would be one day to get Navesink and the 1st Xmas HL Big Bay. We'll see. You never know.
Take care everyone
QC

George
Re: My Next Purchase #8427 05/24/99 01:55 PM
Lighthousedude Offline
My next purchase, hmmm...............??

Well, Fathers Day is a couple of weeks away and U.P.S. delivered a package from the Lighthouse Depot that I didn't order (which is very strange!!). It felt heavy enough so we'll wait and see!

My next purchase will be a departure from the norm for me. I'm collecting East Coast lights for know since I just started a 1/2 a year ago and doing the East Coast and New York lights before branching out. However, I find Tillamok Rock a fascinating light and location so that's my next one. Unless, that's the one in the box, I dropped a few hints. If it is then it's Saugerties, N.Y, or Jeffreys Hook, or it's so hard to choose, I love em'all!!

My wife said if I buy one more Harbour Lights she will leave me............................

I'm sure going to miss her! (Just kidding, she is really very understanding for not being as into lighthouses as I am. She likes to visit them but she is not a collector).

Keep the Flame!

Re: My Next Purchase #8428 05/24/99 03:01 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
My next purchase? Well, as an ex-member of the UGATA fraternity, I suppose it will be the new Collector's Society pieces. They're east coast (actually Chesapeake Bay) lights and that's the focus of my collecting efforts these days.

When I started this collection (addiction, phobia, fixation?) it occurred to me that I had a chance to "have them all". I spent the better part of six months tracking down all that I had missed. Eventually found all but Coquille and Cape Hatteras. I was current and just about "had them all".

Harbour Lights is the first 'collectible' that I was ever interested in. What I didn't realize when I made the decision to have them all was how many there would be. I got set up with a dealer to have one of everything shipped to me. But this lead to a very unexpected situation. UGATA was getting to be automatic. There wasn't any tension, no un-certainty. There was no thrill of the hunt. Harbour Lights kept issuing new pieces, lots of new pieces, and as each one came out, it showed up at the door.

I was running out of room to display everyhing, funds to buy everything and the thrill was gone. So, around the time that Yaquina Bay and Gray's Harbor came out, I decided to focus the collection more. No more West Coast or Great Lakes. I packed them up and they're in the attic. I'm going to stick to the East Coast, Gulf Coast, Chesapeake Bay and Delaware Bay.

Right now, the Hudson River series presents a quandry for me. They don't fit the focus, but I've already seen Tarrytown and have a better chance of seeing the river lights than seeing the OR or WA lights.

Decisions, decisions. Now there's some uncertainty again. Should I or shouldn't I? It brings some tension back to the hunt, although this is one decision that I'm pretty sure I don't have to make today. The HR series will probably be on the shelves for a while. Besides, Rosemont is coming up and who knows which lights will be announced that fit the focus of the collection? Gotta get them first anyway!

Enjoy your collection, no matter it's focus nor it's size. After all, that's why we really do this HL thing, isn't it?

Rick

Re: My Next Purchase #8429 05/24/99 08:36 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hey Folks,

Glad to see I have plenty of company. Is there a Harbour Lights Anonomous? Just Kidding!

Moby of Tidewater Virginia

Moby
Re: My Next Purchase #8430 05/25/99 12:23 AM
DeDo Offline
Enjoyed reading evreyone's thoughts on the next HL to buy. I wrestle with that thought every week nowadays.

I finally broke down & bid on e-bay. Just used the site for months to monitor prices. Orv had encouraged me to register which I did. Bid on two not retired LE's at less than retail. Love getting a bargain!

Actually they are the first HLs that I've bought that aren't retired, all that catching up to do. It is hard decision, there are so many HLs that we've seen or hope to see or just like.

I don't want to try to collect every light, but if I see an older retired piece @ retail it is very tempting even if I may never visit it.

It certainly makes me feel a whole lot better to read that my obsession is shared by others. In fact had my husband read the thread so he understands that I am not the only flipped out person over lighthouses.

We visited Jeffrey's hook yesterday in the rain. Of course it is one of the e-bay HLs that i'm now getting.Now we need a Curio, the shelves are all over the place. Then one curio will grow to be two etc. etc.

But I know I'm in good company.

Donna

Re: My Next Purchase #8431 05/25/99 12:33 AM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
DeDo, I don't know how to tell you this, but if your husband also gets involved in the HLs, you are really going to need more curios. I got hooked first, then my other half, and the curios keep coming.

Kathy

Re: My Next Purchase #8432 05/25/99 12:49 AM
DeDo Offline
Kathy,

Lets put it this way: he doesn't discourage me. I guess he is an enabler. He really enjoys visiting the lighthouses, but he is getting tired of putting up new shelves every week.

I was the one back in Feb. that said no HLs that we wouldn't visit but he really liked White Shoal so we went out that Sunday & bought it.

He calls it my mid-life crisis.

Should I buy stock in a Curio company?

Donna

Re: My Next Purchase #8433 05/25/99 01:28 AM
LamarB Offline
DeDo - buy stock in a curio company mutual fund. Spreads the risk over numerous curio companies. ;-)

Re: My Next Purchase #8434 05/25/99 04:02 PM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
Stock isn't a bad idea! We've reached the stage of downsizing - but where do the HLs go then? One room strictly for HLs has already come to mind.

Kathy

Re: My Next Purchase #8435 05/26/99 12:56 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>Spreads the risk over numerous curio companies<<<

ROFL !!

Re: My Next Purchase #8436 05/26/99 07:47 PM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
Hey, Tim, when you get up off the floor, where are you going to put all your HLs in that gorgeous new home? Curios? Enclosed built-in shelves?

Kathy

[This message has been edited by Al and Kathy (edited 05-26-99).]

Re: My Next Purchase #8437 05/27/99 12:58 AM
T
TGIFIF Offline
T
My next purchase? I just got 13 last week. Including Hilsbourgh!! I have been collecting for about a year & last summer I bought a 9.5ft curio & it is about full!!
I have a question, Fenwick that I got last week had a tree uprooted on arrival. If I glue it back into the base & I ever have to sell (God forbid I ever have to give up any of my lighthouses) do I report that as a "repared piece"?
& yes I definitely have the "HL BUG"!!!!

Re: My Next Purchase #8438 05/27/99 02:15 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>Curios? Enclosed built-in shelves?<<

(dusting myself off) Thats a good question. I promised the wife she gets her china cabinet back when we move. We had some built in display cases designed but ended up taking them out. There are a few lighted niche areas that will do nicely, and some nice spots in the built-in cabinetry in the hearth room but I really do need to come up with something. Probably curios - definitely more room for free standing furniture - probably turn the rec room into the HL room. Sure wish the little dears didn't collect dust. But for a while the one thing I don't think I'll come up with is 'extra' money for lighthouse cabinets - heretical as it sounds, there are a few other pieces of furniture we need more! lol

At least we have more lighted wall space for our lighthouse paintings and prints.

Rgds,
__
/im
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 05-27-99).]

Re: My Next Purchase #8439 05/27/99 09:50 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Remember Tim... "It's Only Money"

Re: My Next Purchase #8440 05/27/99 11:14 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Gail - Same thing happened to my Fenwick. I use a couple of drops of super-glue and it's locked in there now.

No effect on resale value IMHO. Just make sure there's no glue leaking around the 'roots'.

------------------
0 :>) St. John of the Internet

Re: My Next Purchase #8441 05/27/99 02:51 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
QC,

Last fall I purchased Big Bay from a collector. It did cost me and I paid for it over time. Love the piece and goes with all the snow pieces during the winter when I bring them out for the holidays, Jan & FEB.

Obtained Navesink 2 months ago. Paid for it over 5 months. Now she proudly sits next to Fire Island, Jeffrey's Hook, Sea Girt, Roosevelt Island and Saugerties on my son's oak dresser.

I've only purchased one piece second hand to date, Big Bay, and it cost me. But it is worth it.

Just joined for this year, so Baltimore Harbor will be here in 6-8 weeks. I'll break down this fall, get my second second hand piece, and get Thomas Point to complete my Bay Collection. Then 7 Foot Knoll will top it out.

Started in mid 97 and love it more every day.

Moby of Tidewater Virginia

Moby
Re: My Next Purchase #8442 05/27/99 11:02 PM
T
TGIFIF Offline
T
Thanks John, I took your advice & glued it. Much easier than sending it back.

Re: My Next Purchase #8443 05/31/99 12:17 AM
S
sCalBG Offline
S
Since getting hooked on HL, I've increased my collection to 5, with Sea Girt on the way. My next (planned) purchase is Haceta Head (from a collector on this forum). I'm trying to complete my first 'group' of lighthouses that are pictured in a collage that I have. I now own two of them - Cape Hatteras (pre-move) and Haceta Head. Next after that is probably Split Rock. The kicker is the collage also includes Portland Head- Yikes!

------------------
Bill
@ @
.<.
_U_

[This message has been edited by sCalBG (edited 05-31-99).]

Bill
@ @
.<.
_U_
Re: My Next Purchase #8444 06/01/99 07:26 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
SCalBG

Do you ever place pictures behind your HLs. Heceta Head is one of my favorites. Have in my office with a large print behind it.

Moby

Moby

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users