cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Temptations #8364 01/18/99 09:56 PM
Jake Offline OP
OP Offline
Have you ever gotten your Lighthouse Depot catalog and lingered for a while at the Leftons, the Cheryl Spencer Collins, or any others?
While going to a dealer, have you ever been drawn to the Spoontiques or others?
Admit it. We all have. Some of us have even gone so far as to purchase one, or even more.
I'll admit it. My new Lighthouse Depot catalog came in a couple of days ago. Even though I wanted the Harbour Lights Minot Ledge, I didn't ignore it like all the others. I stared at it and took in every detail. Then I wondered if anyone else like me, a fellow collector ever made eyes at another line. And if so, why? This, I figured, ould be the best way to find out.
So, have YOU ever looked, or even purchased, a piece from another line?

Jake

Jakers
Re: Temptations #8365 01/18/99 10:47 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Guilty...CSC lights catch my eye all the time and I feel sorry for her because so many of her nicely done but overpriced lights just sit on shelves here in the SF Bay Area collecting dust...I've broken down in the past and purchased Heceta Head (50 % off) and Whaleback and still ponder buying American Shoal and Boon Island, but those prices...:- (

Re: Temptations #8366 01/18/99 10:49 PM
L
LINDA Offline
L
I'm a lighthouse lover, and if I've been to a lighthouse the HL does not make then I do look at what the alternatives are. I think I like the Spoontiques the most as far as the quality for the price and I have a few of those. I have a few Scaasis and even a couple of CSC even though I'd much rather have all the pieces in Harbour Lights.

Re: Temptations #8367 01/18/99 11:03 PM
greed Offline
...GUILTY! I purchased Great Point from the CSC line only because I walked 5 miles out to the lighthouse to proposed to my future wife. So we purchased it and now we have it on our coffee table in a glass case to show everyone. (the lighthouse, not the piece)

Re: Temptations #8368 01/18/99 11:21 PM
P
Polly Offline
P
We have one non-Harbour Lights piece in our curio; it is Trinidad Head, which we purchased it at a shop in Eureka shortly after visiting the lighthouse. It was a very simple piece on the shelf by the Harbour Lights (did buy Cape Lookout) and sculpted by a local artist. The purchase was more souvenir than collectable. Trinidad is a pretty simple lighthouse & I'm sure we won't see one from HL soon.

Before starting our HL collection we did look at other companies. As for CSC, her pieces are nice but a bit too whimsical (bunny & doggy) and the Lufton pieces are lacking detail not to mention just too big.

Re: Temptations #8369 01/18/99 11:23 PM
LamarB Offline
I'm guilty, too. My very first lighthouse sculpture was a Scaasis West Quoddy Head mislabeled as Cape Florida (little did I know). I've never bought a CSC. Got a Lefton as a gift a few years ago and again last year.

I visited a dealer yesterday that handles HL, CSC, Lefton and Forma Vitrum. They were all displayed very near each other, some comingled. For me, it's no contest. HL wins hands down! But then, I'm prejudiced, too. (who'd have guessed?)

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: Temptations #8370 01/19/99 02:08 AM
P
pepper17 Offline
P
Guilty! We just bought a CSC Boon Island @ 50% off. We are from Maine and had to have it. It is a nice piece.

Re: Temptations #8371 01/19/99 02:47 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I looked at Spoontiques before Xmas. When my son wanted to know what to get me for Xmas I told him he could get me one. I opened his gift and it was Boston Light, very nice I thought. Then I opened another gift and it was HL Selkirk (close to where I live). Well...no comparison. But the Boston Light is nice in that it has all the buildings on it. Also they won't break your shelves! And for the $, not bad. Would be good for a small display area. Have since seen the Leftons and think they're very unattractive. Think some of those snow globe, music box things are kind of nice. I did buy a nite-light, dish like piece, made by Popular Imports that is very nice.

Sue

Re: Temptations #8372 01/19/99 02:50 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Well, I started off with Scaasi - had about 20 of them by the time I found Harbour Lights (both on a trip to Michigan in 96). The Scaasi are in a box in the garage.

The Harbour Lights are in the curios in the living room.

I do have a small collection of models of Fort Gratiot Lighthouse, my home town light from Port Huron, MI.

Three different sizes by Lefton, two different by CSC, Water globe by ??, Wood World one, and a no-name one. Waiting patiently to be joined by Harbour Lights... someday.

Re: Temptations #8373 01/19/99 03:31 AM
Art Offline
I started off buying for Mariann model lighthouses from towns we had visited together. A Sandy Hook HL GLOW, a Spoontiques Key West, a Cape May HL LE. At first I bought them for her, since she had shown an interest in lighthouses (even though we never actually visited a lighthouse together up to that point). Eventually I became interested too, and became particularly fond of the HL line for obvious reasons.

Now I still say that I buy them for her, but they're every bit as much for me! From time to time we get lighthouses of other persuasions as gifts from others. These end up on the mantle over the fireplace along with our Spoontiques. They are pretty much just all jammed up there unceremoniously. (The GLOWS we keep carefully protected in the curios along with the HL LEs.) We like them all, and they all mean something to us. But we love the Harbour Lights! We don't buy anything else now. (Well, OK, sometimes we buy food!) We still look at the other lines, but we always end up spending our money on HLs.

-Art

-Art
Re: Temptations #8374 01/19/99 05:26 AM
RRohweder Offline
Sorry, guess I'm an oddball, but only buy Harbour Lights. Can't afford anything else after the HL's. I'm considering breaking down and buying a few GLOWs since some of the LE's are out of price range for me. I, for the same reasons as JC would buy Fort Gratiot from someone else if I see it before HL comes out with an LE on it. Port Huron is also my hometown and while stationed there with the CG, I gave tours of the light, directed it's painting and lived in the duplex next to it. Actually had it save my life one stormy night, so it rates special consideration from me. But down deep, I'm devoted to the HL's.

------------------

Re: Temptations #8375 01/19/99 09:18 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
The only lighthouse replicas I own are Harbour Lights. I have approximately 170 pieces by HL. I've run out of curio space and flat spots in my home. I still have about 50 HLs in their boxes in my cellar. Yes, I have purchased some GLOWs and they are proudly displayed right next to my LEs. I rotate the display about every two weeks so every piece gets a chance to be enjoyed.

At this point, I have not decided to purchase any other line but HLs. IMHO they are the best and the others are the rest.

That's the word from the East Coast where the skies are clear and the temperature is above freezing at the moment.

Re: Temptations #8376 01/19/99 01:24 PM
S
S Dalessandro Offline
S
I'm guilty, too. My first figure was a Scaasi of Brant Point, MA. This was before I knew anything about lighthouse collecting. I then moved on to Spoontiques. Discovered HLs at The Lighthouse Depot in Maine. Even though I bought 2 Spoontiques that day, I got hooked on HLs. I now only buy Spoontiques when there is not a HL for a lighthouse I want. I never have liked Leftons or CSCs.

Steve D.
Re: Temptations #8377 01/19/99 05:44 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Before I started to collect HL's, I probably looked confusedly at the different styles for many years.
It was hard to get anyone to talk to you about any maker until you decided what you wanted.
Finally, last summer I was in Currituck LH gift shop, and my wife said she wanted to buy me a Bald Head Island LH. I said I didn't want one, until I could decide which brand I wanted. Luckily, I could put about 5 different brands next to each other, and it was no contest!
So I asked the shopkeeper if they had a Montauk? She said it was retired and there was a secondary seller in Kitty Hawk who might be able to find it for me.
A trip to the Secondary seller and a ridiculous price, delayed my collecting 3 more weeks.
After finding a Montauk at a reasonable price on this Forum, I became hooked on HL and have not yet even looked again at another brand!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Temptations #8378 01/19/99 09:42 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
I don't think we're all 'guilty', in the same sense that Mr. Clinton ... well, never mind.

Our first lighthouse replica was the CSC of Cape May, NJ. Linda bought it for me for a birthday gift on one of our trips there to birdwatch. We had just left Cape May State Park where the lighthouse is. I still prefer this CSC to the HL version. In my estimation, the HL Cape May suffers from the same malady that the original GLOW Barnegat did. It looks like it's been squeezed and the proportions of the tower are wrong, too tall and slender. Even the Keeper's cottage looks squished.

We also have the CSC Cape Hatteras. Never thought we'd be able to swing a HL Hatteras. The CSC doesn't look terribly out of place on the shelf with the other HLs from North Carolina, and the casual observer would only see all of the Carolina lights.

Those are the only non HLs that we've gotten ourselves. We figure that eventually HL will do all of the ones we'll want. It's just a matter of being patient. Friends and family have given us a few other kinds. Not everyone knows a HL from the creation of a sculptors imagination.

Re: Temptations #8379 01/20/99 05:46 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
While I have a few other, shall we say "odds and ends lighthouses", since I discovered Harbour Lights, I haven't purchased anything else. This is not because I don't find anything else appealing, it is just because I am concentrating my energies and monies to HL.

I do find the "Fraser International Lighthouse Collection" interestng though. I have never seen one of their pieces in person, but the pictures of them in the "Ligthouse Depot" catalog look good. The look reminds me of Harbour Lights and they are in the same price range. The fact that they are all international lighthouses may also be a draw for me.

-Todd

Re: Temptations #8380 01/20/99 09:55 PM
A
AlanBeckman Offline
A
We have a CSC Sand Island, AL because Diane is from Mobile. Our first purchases were Middle Bay (same reason) and Pensacola (I'm from Fla). This Christmas we decorated our den with several light up lighthouses from Lowes and CVS. They aren't collectibles but they are well worth the $6 - $14 we paid for them.
We bought Longstones Light, which is part of the Fraser International Collection, from Lighthouse Depot. The detail on the piece was about like the early HLs. The tower is apparently made in two pieces and the top of ours had a pronounced list. We sent it back. I would like to know if we just got a bad sample or if the rest of the collection is of the same quality. Does anyone know?
My new cabinet arrived today so I'm off to rearrange my collection.

Keep the flame.
AB in Ala-Bama

Re: Temptations #8381 01/20/99 11:15 PM
S
Squid Offline
S
I have purchased a CSC lighthouse which is Cape Hatteras. On average I feel that these lighthouses are somewhat overpriced. However, it was better than paying the secondary market price for the HL.

Naturally I prefer the detail of Harbour Lights, but this piece is fairly nice.

Whenever we visit A lighthouse, I will normally purchase some momento from the gift shop that is not Harbour Lights. I found it interesting that the shop at Currituck, NC actually sells Harbour Lights in addition to many others (Spoontique monsters).

In particular I enjoy some of the small wooden replicas with the lighthouses painted on the flat surface. Sort of similar to the Cats Meow but produced by local artists.

Tired & grouchy. Does Bill Younger have any vacancies?

Re: Temptations #8382 03/09/99 03:12 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Last week at a lighthouse shop in Rockport, Mass I got my first look at CSC and Scaasis and I was not tempted at all. IMHO Harbour Lights simply makes the best lighthouse miniatures! Spent my money on a couple books, windchimes and memo cube.

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 03-09-99).]

Re: Temptations #8383 03/09/99 08:30 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Have two that are not HL.
1. Hatteras by Danbury Mint. House not in proportion to tower. Tower skinny.
2. Thomas Point by Lefton. Small version that is battery powered. House lights stay on and lantern room blinks. Goes well with HL collection

Moby

Moby
Re: Temptations #8384 03/09/99 10:27 AM
B
Bob St Clair Offline
B
HL only. Never tempted by another.

Bob
Re: Temptations #8385 03/09/99 08:01 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Since I can't buy the "Real Thing", I buy the next best.... Harbour Lights! If you own a Ferrari, would you be tempted to buy a Yugo?

DIGGER

Re: Temptations #8386 03/10/99 01:19 AM
T
TURBO271 Offline
T
I started collecting Spoontiques when I became interested in lighthouses. I now have 30 of the regular version as well as seven of the Limited Editions.I would only buy a lighthouse after a visit( This has now changed). Now I collect Harbour Lights and will continue to do so. The quality and details of the lighthouses are by far the best.I enjoy all my lighthouses, but the Harbour Lights are really special.

Steve
ma3612@prodigy.net

Re: Temptations #8387 05/04/99 01:21 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Well I bought my Portland Head today for $9.99! My grocery store is featuring a set of 8 lights, regular price $12.99, light of the week for $9.99. These are produced by Oneida Studios (the Oneida Silver people in Oneida, New York). They are made in China. They are made of poly-resin, on a shiney wood base with a sticker on it with the nace of the LH. Portland Head measures approx. 6" wide x 4 1/2" deep x 6 1/2" high. They have some heft to them and a portion of the sales goes to the U.S. Lighthouse Society. They are packed as HL's are. Now, no way do they compare with HL's and they are not all equally as nice. But the Minot's and Holland are also very well done. For $10 I will certainly buy them! They are much nicer than some of the other "giftware" lines I've seen. Nice to have for display without taking up curio space and nice for an inexpensive gift.

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 05-03-99).]

Re: Temptations #8388 05/04/99 08:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We do own one off-brand (don't even think the line is made anymore) only because it is Point Vicente, one of the lighthouses that was the site of our proposal 5½ years ago (the other proposal site was Pt. Fermin . . . like a lot of you haven't heard that before). If HL had a Pt. Vicente available at the time, we would have never bought it. It does have one feature that we like, a flashing light in the tower. It just occured to us, we do own two David Winter lighthouses, not even sure why. Guess we just have a thing for lighthouses and they were on sale (very inexpensive).

Basically, we have to agree with Gravedigger, we like the Ferrari and the rest are just that, The Rest. (even though the flashing light is a kick on our Vicente).

Michael and Karen

Re: Temptations #8389 05/04/99 06:39 PM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
First lighthouse was an HL. Have a Lefton light, and I mean the lamp style. Have CSC's Holland Light since our dealer had something to do with it. Won't go into the pictures hanging up around here - but we like Mike Capser, especially when he's doing a light.

Kathy

Re: Temptations #8390 05/05/99 02:16 PM
D
DonnaJLM Offline
D
My first lighthouse purchase was the Portland Head GLOW -- I bought it to put in front of the Cats Meow Portland Head that my son gave me. Then I got the Great Lakes Stamp Series of Cats Meow, and bought a variety of small lights (mostly Spoontiques) to match that set. Of course, they have been replaced by the "real thing" by now. I do have two non-HL Limited Editions: a CSC Boon Island ME and a Komeylian Love Point MD, but I'm hooked -- it would have to be a really well-done lighthouse for me to buy it if it wasn't HL. Or a lighthouse like Rockland Breakwater, Egg Rock, Cuckolds or Wood Island (all in Maine) that I've visited and like, and that HL doesn't have.

Re: Temptations #8391 05/05/99 03:18 PM
Lighthousedude Offline
Honesty is the best policy.

Hey we are lighthouse lovers one and all. Of course we are going to experiment with other "brands" of lighthouses.

I have a couple of Spoontiques which I display on my desk at work(my Harbor Lights never leave the house, until this Sunday when I bring my Old Field out for Bill to sign, I hope!).

I also own 3 Leftons which I think are quite nice, I may even buy 1 or 2 more.

The CSC lighthouses are nice but I think they are a little pricey.

As they say, "You've tried the rest now stick with best--Harbor Lights"!

Can you folks believe I left out the U in Harbour Lights!!! I'm sorry and I'll never let it happen again!!

[This message has been edited by Mike Seewald (edited 05-05-99).]

[This message has been edited by Mike Seewald (edited 05-05-99).]

Re: Temptations #8392 05/05/99 04:22 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Otis Williams, Paul Williams and Melvin Franklin - from 1964 through 1968.

Saint WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

They are the only real Temptations for me!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Temptations #8393 05/05/99 06:35 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I have many temptations but I buy only Harbour Lights. My other main temptation is chocolate and other related sweets. I try to keep plenty of "meat" on this large frame of mine...LOL!

Bob

Re: Temptations #8394 05/05/99 09:27 PM
T
TGIFIF Offline
T
my 1st light was Harbour Light. I have N-E-V-E-R bought anything else (by the time I get through paying for all the Harbour Lights there is no money left. Although other people look at my liveingroom & missunderstand & buy me other lights! Oh well I am slowly training them.

Re: Temptations #8395 05/06/99 12:12 PM
O
orv Offline
O
Is anyone familiar with the Genesis line by Legends? Here is what they look like

http://www.biggsltd.com/Genesis/Lighthouses.htm

ORV
Re: Temptations #8396 05/06/99 04:25 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have to admit that my original collection was Danbury Mint's lighthouses. My Grandmother started collecting them for me when I was in high school. I didn't know what Harbour Lights was until I got a copy of the Lighthouse Depot's catalog. I didn't think much more about them until my Parents gave me Bodie Island and Bald Head for christmas. Even though I haven't yet replaced all my Danbury mint lights in the Curio, I'm slowly moving them out as I can. However I will keep my Danbury Hatteras on the shelf with Currituck, Bodie, Lookout, and Bald Head. Also I have CSC's Hillsboro, which I found while on vacation in Florida, but yesterday I replaced it with HL's much nicer piece. When I get another curio I'll move all the offbrands to one and devote the other to only HL.

------------------
Weasel58

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 05-06-99).]

Eric
Re: Temptations #8397 05/07/99 08:01 PM
D
Ddrule Offline
D
I am addicted to Harbour Lights. I have just started my collection and am going crazy. How do you all stand it? I want one everytime I go somewhere. I feel like a nut. My husband started me on stained glass lighthouses. Harbour Lights have just floored me. Now I know what I want for Christmas, Birthdays, etc. I am so excited to finally meet people with the same passion.

Take care

Amber

Re: Temptations #8398 05/07/99 08:52 PM
RFoster Offline
Mary Jane and I started our lighthouse collection with Harbour Lights St. Augustine. We were just going to buy this one because we had visited it and I had climbed it.

We soon bought number two, and so the story goes. We eventually wanted all of the Harbour Lights (still don't have Coquille though).

Along the way we aquired some Spoontiques, Cheryl Spencer Collins, Danbury Mint & Scassis.

We are partial to Harbour Lights for the detail and dedication to authenticity, but we enjoy all of the lighthouses that we have.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Temptations #8399 05/09/99 12:49 AM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Have a few spoontique pieces but fell in love with HL when Larry and I were in Holland, MI and saw Big Red (the HL piece) after visiting the real thing. We have never looked back and now own about 130 HL. I have looked at CSC and have been tempted to purchase a piece or two for sentimental reasons. I love Lighthouses and can't seem to get enough of them BUT...without a doubt HL is the VERY BEST there is.....in my humble opinion!!!

Kat

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Temptations #8400 05/09/99 05:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Harbour Lights OE Hatteras was my first HL find. I puchased it because I was reared in NC and you aren't a true "Tar Heel" if you don't like Hatteras.
Next I found LE Alcatraz, a trip I made on my 25th wedding anniversary, bought it. Then I saw LE Old Point Loma which I had visited while in San Diego on a family vacation. Then I caught on that these were all by the same company. I decided to only collect HL and have not regretted that decision. Like John, they are in the living room curios.

Only because I don't have enough room to display them or money to get the total line, have I limited the ones I will purchase. I have become totally immersed in the HL way of life.

I love to travel and have seen and photographed lighthouses everywhere I go. I have discovered, since seeing pictures of Bill in a earlier Legacy, that flying over an area that has a lot of lights is both easier and faster, and not all that expensive.
I am constantly looking for new places to visit and for new HL peices to come out.

My collection has grown since I found the first one to include 78LEs, 14OEs and 18 ornaments.
I do look at others, but there is no comparison as far as I am concerned.

Derith

Re: Temptations #8401 05/10/99 12:06 AM
LamarB Offline
Quote:
Like John, they are in the living room curios.

Derith! Let John go! I agree he's a fantastic HL find, but LET HIM GO!

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: Temptations #8402 05/10/99 12:22 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Get me out of that curio, Derith and you'll have room for a LOT more Harbour Lights.

John

Re: Temptations #8403 05/10/99 03:19 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Yes, I actually started my lighthouse collection with a $3.00 light house (which looks strangely like West Quoddy Head) that has a candle in it. I bought it last summer while on vacation to Cape May, NJ. I also bought a Cape May lighthouse ornament while visiting the light and also found a cross stitch pattern of the light in a local shop. I painted my own plaster lighthouse and made it as close to the Cape May light as possible, but was never really happy with it. I discovered a Cape May HL at a specialty dealer near my home and I was hooked. I have only been a member of the collector's society for about a month now, but I can hardly wait for my LE pieces to arrive at the dealer. I am looking forward to collecting many more HL, but I am not totally opposed to other lights (especially if they are something I can't get from HL). I just purchased myself a mother's day gift (yes, that is legal) of a Thomas Kincaid lighthouse that actaully lights up (Avon currently has it). It was reasonable and unique too. But for the majority, I will stick with HL- they are a good quality collectible and a far superior to other reproductions that I have seen. Additionally, my HL dealer is only a few miles from my home, so I can stop in there frequently.
I am looking forward to many happy years of collecting and am currently deciding where I am going to house all of these wonderful HL!

Keep the flame!

[This message has been edited by chris g (edited 05-11-99).]

Chris G

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,229 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users