Print Thread
Society Exclusive for 99 #8252 10/28/98 11:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK, its no big secret that at the Reunion HL announced the 99 Society Exclusive would be the 7 Foot Knoll light. Among those of you who were close in enough to get a look at the preview piece - tell us more.

Such as how big is it compared to another screwpile type light e.g.Thomas Point.
Such as is it depicted in the water a la HL's Thomas Point and Middle Bay lights or is it depicted on land a la HL's Drum Point light?

How about answering this on the forum rather than an email just to me - that way the rest of us po' folks who couldn't be there will know more about this particular part of the 98 Reunion.

Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8253 10/29/98 01:02 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
This one went by so fast, I'm not sure anyone got a photo of it. I was in the middle of the room - and never got closer than 40 feet from the 7 Foot Knoll. I remember it being very RED, I think I saw water, but can't say for sure.

I do know who went home with both of them and I'll be trying to get photos.

And somewhere in my files, I've got a picture of the real one I took last year in Baltimore.

John

Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8254 10/29/98 06:39 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Like John, I was about 40-50 feet away at the reunion. It was definitely red and I would say it was depicted at it's former location and not at it's current location.

Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8255 10/29/98 01:05 PM
D
DonnaJLM Offline
D
I was able to get a quick glance as it passed by: it seemed to be somewhat smaller than Thomas Point, and was on the water--I think a boat is part of the sculpture.

Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8256 10/30/98 10:34 AM
P
PamBrian Offline
P
Would that be the redemption piece or the "member gift" piece ?

Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8257 10/30/98 03:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From what I gleaned off of the Forum notes pertaining to the 98 Reunion I believe that the Seven Foot Knoll piece to be the redemption piece. I think it would be too expensive to be the "gift" piece.

Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8258 11/02/98 07:24 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bolted from breakfast that morning to catch the ferry to Block Island so missed the giving away of Seven Foot Knoll...but after seeing pics of the real thing, all I can say is YUCK! Looks like a flattened Folgers coffee can...hope I'm pleasantly surprised when it comes out...

Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8259 11/03/98 11:25 AM
P
PamBrian Offline
P
I'd tend to agree with Rock. That's kinda why I was asking whether it was the redemption or the "free" member piece. I was wondering whether I was going to have a choice or not (although we ALWAYS have choices in life).

Which brings me to my question. What is the selcetion criteria that HL uses when deciding on doing a piece ? I would assume there are various aspects like:

A) Is it located in a high population area where there is a significant "local market"

B) Ease of replication. I would think this would be a consideration, but in looking at some of the pieces, I'm not sure. They certainly are very detailed.

C) Aesthetic considerations (there are any number of examples....in fact MOST fall into this one )

D) Historical significance

I saw Cockspur for the first time on the PBS special and was trying to figure out how they came to deciding on that one.

And I had to ask the same question on 7 Foot Knoll. Although Cockspur came out nice, so maybe this one will as well.

Another quick question: Once they decide to do a piece, how long does it typically take for it to be released to the market ?

Thanks,
Brian (still trying to learn)

Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8260 11/03/98 07:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pam, I surmised that the Seven Foot Knoll HL would be the redemption piece based on cost.

It will be a screwpile type light similar to Thomas Point, one of the more expensive HLs. Contrast that with the traditional "free" pieces which are relatively "vanilla" so to speak, e.g. Cockspur Georgia; Amelia Florida.

Although the Seven Foot Knoll light is not a particularly beautiful light in real life vis a vis a Cape Henry, SE Block Island, New London Ledge, or name your favorites, it does have historical significance and it is in a market area that I expect will appreciate having the opportunity to include it among the Chesapeake Bay series.

Contrast the historical significance of the Seven Foot Knoll light with the total lack of historical significance of the Sea Pines, SC (Hilton Head) piece. That is really a "non-light" that appeals to a tourist, not someone interested in true lighthouses. And in the eyes of this beholder the Hilton Head light isn't even pretty as an HL or in real life, having been there myself.

To sum it up, the positive attributes of the Seven Foot Knoll light are, it is historically significant, it is an interesting architectural study, it is a unique lighthouse design, and it is geographically located in an area where people have an interest in "things nautical".

Of course, everyone is allowed their own opinion and makes a choice on how to spend their $$$- thats why Baskin and Robins makes all those different flavors.

Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8261 11/03/98 08:18 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I will be pleased to have Seven Foot Knoll in my collection. Originally I had no real interest in the "screwpile" lights. Then a friend from Chesapeake Bay sent me a picture of Thomas Point...well the rest is history. I bought all three the next week. Now another "screwpile" enters the picture. I would say its size will be comparable to the Thomas Point Signature Series piece. I predict it will be a big seller with the members of the Collector's Society.

Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8262 11/20/98 09:01 PM
B
Bill W Offline
B
The 1999 Society Piece "Seven Foot Knoll" is depicted over land as it sits in Baltimore's Inner Harbor, minus the stairway. It also has a sailboat docked at the bulkhead. The size of the sculpture is comparable to the "Thomas Point Open Edition". The detail is outstanding, one of Harbor Lights best efforts yet! I only wish it had been depicted over the water.

[This message has been edited by Bill W (edited 11-21-98).]

Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8263 11/20/98 09:02 PM
B
Bill W Offline
B
Sorry for the double post.

[This message has been edited by Bill W (edited 11-20-98).]

Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8264 11/20/98 10:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would be very disappointed if in fact Y&A depicts the Seven Foot Knoll light as a land-based item. That would be the equivalent of them trying to sell Anchor Bay items depicted on land rather than in the logical setting of the water.

In an earlier post in this forum Bob M and John Chidester thought they saw the Artist Proof (?) at the 98 Reunion as being in-the-water. This latest post in this forum by Bill W says just the opposite. God I hope Bill W is mistaken. I would not buy the Drum Point screwpile light just because it was depicted, unnaturally, in a museum setting, on-land. Just because Drum Point is now on land does not mean it is proper to sculpt it that way for serious lighthouse mavens.

Can we get a clarification? Who (other than an HL spokesperson) is in the best position to know how Seven Foot Knoll will be depicted?

[This message has been edited by rsmcn (edited 11-20-98).]

Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8265 11/20/98 10:46 PM
RFoster Offline
I also hope that the Seven-Foot Knoll is depicted in the natural water setting. Of course, if it isn't...you could always display it in a dish or pan of shallow water to get the desired look. (LOL)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8266 12/07/98 10:44 PM
L
Lorraine Healy Offline
L
I agree with everything said by everybody and add...
They make 'em, I buy 'em.
'Nuff said.
:-)

------------------

Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8267 12/08/98 01:21 AM
B
Barb Kepple Offline
B
I was one of the fortunate few who correctly guessed the next Society Piece at the Reunion, and I am sitting here looking at the Seven Foot Knoll AP that I happily received two weeks ago. I love it!
It is about the size of the GLOW Thomas Point, but it doees not give the feel of a small light. It is out of the water, but it is placed on a brick and stone base that actually looks very nice, and is not heavy looking like the dock and "feet" of Drum Point. It is surrounded by water on two sides and has a very nice sailboat dockside.
I think it is a beautiful piece, and finely crafted, and should be a great addition to all of our collections!

Barb
Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8268 12/08/98 01:31 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Congratulations Barb....we're all sitting here drooling with envy

-RodW
Re: Society Exclusive for 99 #8269 12/08/98 04:24 PM
Art Offline
GREEN with envy! Heartiest congratulations Barb!

-Art

[This message has been edited by Art (edited 12-08-98).]

-Art

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users