Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chrysler Crossfire... #82549 01/23/08 07:17 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I'm getting the itch to purchase another "toy". I imagine many people experience similar urges in the middle of winter.

I'm considering selling my 1990 Corvette and updating to a newer toy. I was surfing through the inventories of some area car dealers when I spotted a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire.

The Crossfire is a rather unique shaped two-seater vehicle. I've been told it is basically a small Mercedes SLK. Daimler Chrysler offered this vehicle at too high of a retail price and they didn't sell. Now they can be purchased for a very reasonable price.

I haven't tried one out yet but I did call my favorite dealer and told me to come up and take one for a few days and see what I think. He told me the car is small but there is sufficient leg room in it.

Do any of you own a Chrysler Crossfire, or know someone who does? I would be curious to see what other people think of the car. Let me know if they have a coupe or convertible, and if they have the 6-speed manual transmssion or the 5-speed automatic. I would actually prefer the manual transmission.

Thanks for the read.

smile Bob smile

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82550 01/24/08 01:28 AM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If you purchase this car (Chrysler Crossfire), you should have a low production car, due to this model is not being made anymore according to the national broadcast news reports. Same situation for the Dodge Magnum models.

Best to hold onto the Vette! wink

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82551 01/24/08 06:10 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
It looks fantastic!! I can see why you like the idea!

Just looked it up and apparently it "shares 89% of its components with other Mercedes models. The chassis is a combination of a modified C-class engine compartment, pre-2003 SLK floor pan, S-Class rear linkages and new stampings for the side rails and rear. It is available as a coupé and as a roadster."

Which one takes your fancy?

They seem to sell a little better this side of the pond. Maybe that is because of the German connection ? But apparently there will be a 2008 model even in the USA

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82552 01/24/08 09:00 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
When I was talking with my dealer (www.imperialcars.com), he told me they are a nice car but the high MSRP scared everyone away. They made them in 2004, 2005, and 2007 according to what I read. Some sites on the Net mention the 2008 but my friend told me he didn't think they were going to offer the Crossfire in 2008. He owns all the Imperial Dealerships so he should be up to date on what's what.

Mary (bright eyes) wants me to keep the Corvette and that could be the wise thing to do, but I've got the itch and I'm looking for something different in an automobile. I like the fact that there are so few Crossfires on the road. I can't even recall the last time I saw one or dealt with one in my line of work.

Coupe or convertible? My friend has a coupe on his lot but I would also like to take a look at a convertible. I would also like to drive the Crossfire SRT with the supercharger, but those are especially rare. My friend was also trying to get me to spend more bucks and put me in a Lexus convertible. I did explain to him that this was a third vehicle for me and I don't want to spend that kind of money.

I don't know what it is like in other parts of the country but the time period around Washington's Birthday (observed on 2/18 this year) are big car dealer days when they advertise and try to lure you in and move the stock that has been sitting all winter. By then we've had a few somewhat warm days and lots of people itching to get to those car lots. Will I succumb to the pressure?

keyboard Bob

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82553 01/24/08 01:28 PM
Middle I-land MI Max Offline
Wacko
Wacko
My next door neighbor who works at the Chrysler proving grounds ( east of Jackson near Chelsea ) has a convertible Crossfire as one of his personal cars. That should tell you something. If I see him I'll ask him about it. He also has some special Neon models he seems to like. I'm not positive, but when he puts the top down I believe two chromed roll bars come up behind the front seats.

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82554 01/24/08 03:58 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
My next door neighbor who works at the Chrysler proving grounds ( east of Jackson near Chelsea ) has a convertible Crossfire as one of his personal cars. That should tell you something.
Do ask him what he thinks about the 2004 models, coupes vs. convertibles, and manual transmission vs. automatic transmission, and of course reliability. The 2004's are priced right in the range I'm willing to spend for a "new toy".

Thanks for the reply!

smile Bob smile

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82555 01/24/08 10:48 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hey MI Max, ...Ask your neighbor if there will actually be a 2008 Crossfire. Chrysler mentions it at their web site, but when you check with any Chrysler Dealer's new inventory they all list they are out of stock. I did note that all Crossfires look basically the same 2004, 2005, 2007, including the ones at the Chrysler site.

I hope when I take one for a test drive that I will still be excited. I'm getting pumped up about adding one of these to my fleet of cars.

smile Bob smile

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82556 01/27/08 08:17 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I took a quick look at a few Crossfires yesterday. I just drove through a couple of dealer lots while I was working. I didn't want to get involved with a salesman who was hungry to sell automobiles.

I saw one red convertible that caught my eye but that one was a little newer than I was planning on purchasing. The same dealer had threee other Crossfires and two of them were SRT's, the 330 HP supercharged editions. I would imagine those must be fairly quick since the vehicle itself only weighs just over 3000 pounds.

My dealer friend, who I will definitely buy a car from, suggested I look at a Lexus convertible. I mentioned it to Lorna and she felt it may be worth looking at. I also wanted to take a look at a Mazda Miata convertible my friend has on one of his lots. I know the picture on his web site of the Miata is eye catching.

I've never owned a foreign car. I've always purchased GM, Ford, or Chrysler products and have had good luck with all of them. I usually keep a vehicle for approximately three years with the exception of my Corvette which I've had a lot longer.

More than likely, I'll probably make the move in late February or early March unless something very special comes up that I don't want to miss out on.

keyboard Bob

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82557 01/27/08 01:51 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob, Have you considered the Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky?

The Solstice reminds me of the first Corvettes, and the Sky has more of the later Corvettes look.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82558 01/27/08 04:25 PM
Wacko
Wacko
Bob-I haven't forgotten your request. Haven't seen my neighbor the last few days (he travels sometimes for days). I believe he's also switched to an unlisted phone number.

Some of your questions might be answered in Consumer's Reports magazine or their online service. They're both well indexed. Have fun exploring different models!

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82559 01/27/08 05:22 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
The fact that a neighbor who works at Chrysler's proving ground drives one could be due to the deep discount he could get on one that had been around the track for a few thousand miles.

I'd watch the depreciation on those, Bob. Back when Cadillac was making Allantes, they offered buyers a 'depreciation guarantee' that the model wouldn't depreciate any more than a Mercedes 500SL -- or they would make up the difference.

Best days to buy a car? I've heard it was on a rainy last day of the month -- the dealer will be anxious to make their 'quota' for the month.

You'd think that the oldest new car on the lot would be cheaper than the latest new car -- but since the dealer has to pay interest on the inventory financing, the older one has to bring more money to the bottom line than the one that is rolling into the lot today.

How about a 300Z Convertible? The Lexus 400 Convertible hardtop have been around for a while, you should be able to find a used one at a good price.

[Glad to have you lookin' Bob, it gives those of us who can't afford to buy a toy car like that a Walter Mitty Experience!]

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82560 01/27/08 09:06 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Bob, Have you considered the Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky?
I'm considering looking at the Solstice. My dealer friend will get me whatever I want. I've seen a Solstice in his inventory more than once. They are a sleek looking roadster, to say the least. I don't recall seeing a Saturn Sky as of yet, but I'll have to take a look at that one too.

Quote:
Bob-I haven't forgotten your request. Haven't seen my neighbor the last few days (he travels sometimes for days).
No problem, Max, I'm not making the move for another month or so. I appreciate you thinking of me.

Quote:
I'd watch the depreciation on those, Bob.
I hope a good part of the depreciation is over when I purchase whatever. I'm buying used and would like to keep my spending at no more than fifteen grand. The one Crossfire my friend has right now is a 2004 with 37K on the odometer. He's listing it at $15,900 but I figure I can cut about $2500 off that list price and maybe a little more, if I decide to purchase that one.

Quote:
The Lexus 400 Convertible hardtop have been around for a while, you should be able to find a used one at a good price.
I didn't ask about a Lexus Convertible, my friend suggested it. I told him I wanted something sporty to replace my Vette. He said it would be more money but worth it. Lorna likes the idea of a Lexus Convertible after my oldest son told her that would be the car for us. There's no denying that a Lexus is a first class automobile. The thing is do I need such a classy car for a third car.

I've always felt that money has no value unless you spend it. I'm not waiting for a rainy day to spend mine. Enjoy life while you have your health! Life can be full of regrets, so don't regret things you've done in life, but rather regret things you didn't do.

No matter what I buy it will have to make both myself and Lorna smile. The "smile factor" is of the utmost importance when it comes to spending money.

I'm fortunate to have a good friend in the car business. He owns Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ford, and Chevrolet dealerships. He also has a wholesale mart that deals with many makes of foreign vehicles and luxury cars. My son was looking for a Mercedes Benz. It took one trip to visit my friend and he came back with one just a year old. He shopped every where on the Net and no one could match the price he paid.

If you would like to see some of his inventory go to www.imperialcars.com and click on preowned inventory at any one of his dealerships. If you click on the Chrysler Dealership you can find the Crossfire I may try first. It's a white 2004 coupe. The inventory at the Wholesale Mart isn't on-line. That's where he keeps the majority of the foreign cars such as Mercedes, Lexus, BMW's,and American luxury cars like Cadillacs and Lincolns. He has them all. It is truly a great place to shop.

It's fun sharing this experience with all of you. Is this blogging without a blog?

towel Bob

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82561 01/27/08 10:41 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Gee Bob, I just traded in my 04 Subaru Forester for a new one. The old one was silver and the new one's red. Does that make it more of a "toy" car? laugh

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82562 01/28/08 01:35 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Since the Daimler group divested itself of Chrysler Corporation, one would think that perhaps the Crossfire might be a lost product in the process. I think Mercedes might be looking to put Chrysler and Crossfire behind them and a 2008 model is unlikely unless it's a renamed leftover.

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82563 01/28/08 12:38 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
I think Mercedes might be looking to put Chrysler and Crossfire behind them and a 2008 model is unlikely unless it's a renamed leftover.
Good point, JJ! I'm sure they have plenty of Crossfire parts available, but maybe they don't want to waste any more time on cars that don't sell well. Will this eventually make the Crossfire a rare car? Will it go the way of the Studebaker Avanti and the DeLorean?

Another thing I have to consider is my size. I don't know if I'll fit comfortably in a vehicle that size. I won't know that fact until I drive one.

keyboard Bob

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82564 01/28/08 03:58 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Back in the 60's, when Porsche and VW had a brief corporate fling, Porsche put out a little sporty model to sell in the VW stores. I think it may have been called the 902.

At that time, the parts manager at my VW dealer showed me 2 parts, one in a VW package (which was in the $3.00 range) and one in a Porsche box (which was in the $30.00 range). Same part-different box. Let's hope the Crossfire parts come in the VW range smile

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82565 01/30/08 01:58 PM
Wacko
Wacko
Bob-Talked with my neighbor yesterday. He's had s 2005 Crossfire and now has a 2007. Doesn't think they'll make a 2008. Says the Crossfire has mostly Mercedes parts.
His name is Steve and he'd be fine communicating with you directly by email to get your Crossfire questions answered. I'll send you his email address.

I saw you took considerable time to explain to "Uncommonalities" on 1/29 about her Dad's HL collection. I'm impressed with your answer and that you cared enough to take the time to explain the HL market to another Newbie like myself.

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82566 01/30/08 03:14 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Middle I-land MI Max:
Bob-Talked with my neighbor yesterday. He's had s 2005 Crossfire and now has a 2007. Doesn't think they'll make a 2008. Says the Crossfire has mostly Mercedes parts.
His name is Steve and he'd be fine communicating with you directly by email to get your Crossfire questions answered. I'll send you his email address.

I saw you took considerable time to explain to "Uncommonalities" on 1/29 about her Dad's HL collection. I'm impressed with your answer and that you cared enough to take the time to explain the HL market to another Newbie like myself.
That's why he's a Saint!
You're also showing some of those traits hooking Bob up with your Saintly Crossfire expertise. towel You'll be a regular here before you know it, Middle I-land MI Max! (Although you may need to shorten your name?????)lol :p

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82567 01/30/08 03:23 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
LI Bob, it's all family - you can just call him Max.

And, he might be a newbie here but not to collecting....

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82568 01/30/08 07:03 PM
Wacko
Wacko
LI Bob-Thanks for the nice compliment! You're right, my name is on the long side and I may adjust it in the future. I picked it because our Michigan lighthouse we support is MIDDLE ISLAND, MI - HL #320 - located northeast of Alpena,MI (HL#312)in Lake Huron.

Dave's right- MAX is fine. My wife and I have been collecting HL's since about 1994 and have made it to may dealer and rep events, regionals, and all of the Reunions. My favorite was Mackinaw Is. for biased reasons and the great weather for those special boat tours! Fabulous job on that reunion Dave!!!

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82569 01/30/08 08:17 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Hi Max, ..Thanks for the email address. I've already sent Steve a few questions regarding my possible purchase of a Crossfire. Hopefully, he can help me with with some good advice as a Crossfire owner.

smile Bob smile

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82570 02/06/08 10:06 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It must be fate! I've been spending some considerable time researching Chrysler Crossfires on the Net trying to get a feel for what is available and at what price. I've also searched just about everywhere in the country looking to see if I could find the rare yellow convertible.

A yellow convertible is a tough car to find. I think I found a total of four throughout the country with the closest one being in Wallingford CT. Here's a couple of pics of another one I found for sale from a private party:

Just a few moments ago, my dealer friend called me about taking a Crossfire for a couple days to see if I like it. I made arrangements with him to take a white coupe this Friday, but asked him if he had any other Crossfires in stock. He told me he had a black one and the white one, but he sold the black one. He further added he just received two loads of used cars from the Chrysler Auction. He told me there was a few Crossfires in the mix and the first one on the car carrier was a yellow convertible.

I almost fell out of my chair! I told him that was my ultimate first choice but I didn't set my hope too high because they are so rare. Needless to say, I will be picking up the yellow convertible Friday morning to test drive it for a couple of days.

Once again fate has entered into my dreams!

laugh laugh Bob laugh laugh

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82571 02/07/08 02:18 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Gee, Bob, sounds like if you fit in the car and Lorna looks good on the passenger side that your dealer has another "sold" to add.......

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82572 02/07/08 08:37 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hi Dave,...Can you tell I'm excited? I hardly slept last night. I don't know what year the yellow convertible is or how many miles it has on it. I'm hoping it's a 2005 so it will be more affordable. If it's a 2007, it may be out of my price range. There are only so many dollars in the "big-boy's toys" budget. Time will tell!

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82573 02/07/08 12:18 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I always liked the Crossfire! Not very practical but definitely a 'Big Toy'. Enjoying your excitement.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82574 02/07/08 01:03 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob, I'm excited for you. I hope you car testing works out and you will soon own your new toy. cool

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82575 02/07/08 01:18 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
WoW ... I can understand the excitement. I'd love that one .. !!!!!

waytogo waytogo

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82576 02/08/08 02:54 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Well the Crossfire is at the house. Drove it home in the snow, of all things. The car is absolutely immaculate inside and out. As you can tell from the pics it's yellow, and the interior is all black. It only has 6100 miles on it.

It's going to sit in the driveway until the snow stops. I must say it handled very well on the slippery roads when I was coming home, but I don't want to take a chance of getting hit. Tomorrow is suppose to be a better day (I hope!).

Here's a couple of pics I just took in the driveway. Note the "wing" is up in the back. That's automatic at 60 MPH. The guy at the dealership told me there is a button to get it back down but I haven't found it yet. LOL!

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82577 02/08/08 03:14 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
So, Bob, what model year is the Crossfire? Sure is low mileage.

We have lots of Crossfires around here, but then again, we have 4 Chrysler plants in town. Followed one on my way downtown yesterday afternoon.

Hope you get a pretty weekend so you can get out and see how the car "fits".

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82578 02/08/08 08:55 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
So, Bob, what model year is the Crossfire? Sure is low mileage.
It's a 2005. They started offering Crossfires in 2004 but didn't do the roadster (convertible) until the 2005 model year. Then they didn't make Crossfires in 2006, but there certainly are a ton 2006's for sale on the Net, and 2007 was the last year they were made. They're not going to produce 2008's but some dealers are taking orders and the 2008 Crossfires appear at the Chrysler web site.

The Crossfire is basically a Mercedes SLK with a Chrysler body. It is made in Germany. It was put together in a combined effort of Daimler and Chrysler. I've been told those two are no longer in business together.

Most of the Crossfires listed in the high 30's to the low 40's. They were over priced and didn't sell. A lot of Chrysler employees drive them because they were offered such a great incentive package to buy or lease them. A lot of those Program cars aka Executive cars are now being auctioned off, and I think that's where this one came from. I've read where some people got as much as $15000 off of list on brand new ones.

I anxious to get it on a dry road. It really road well in the snow and having electronic traction control must have helped. I just don't dare put it through its paces when the roads aren't dry.

I love the car already, and the smile factor is definitely there. Now will the bottom line make me smile.

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82579 02/08/08 09:13 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Glad that you're loving it. They really are cool cars...I think that part of their problem was that they didn't have a broad enough market segment, but Chrysler sold them as if they did. I think I heard somewhere that they were sort of the replacement for the Prowler.

The ONLY thing I'd be wary of...yes, DaimlerChrysler broke up last year. And the new Chrysler LLC is already doing pretty crappy. I read somewhere today, I think in the New York Times, that the company as a whole is planning to cut half its models. And it's owned right now by a private equity firm, who'll be more interested in how to make a quick buck than anything else. So, support may be tough in the future. But, the M-B connection may make it easier for this model.

If you love it, and the price is right, go for it. The worst case, I think, is that if there's support troubles later on (and it wouldn't be for a long time, if at all), you sell it and get something else.

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82580 02/08/08 11:22 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
They are pleasing on the eye. I saw a white one at the dealer yesterday while I was driving by.

Is that unit #1858 in the background your 'other car' Bob?

Are you trying out this yellow one or did you buy it? I'm confused from your posts.

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82581 02/09/08 12:34 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Is that unit #1858 in the background your 'other car' Bob?
I have four cars in the yard, and yes, that's my "company car"

Quote:
Are you trying out this yellow one or did you buy it? I'm confused from your posts.

I haven't bought it yet. As a matter of fact, I don't even know the price yet. This is a plot by my dealer friend. He just tells me to take it for a few days and see what I think. He knows I'll love it. He did that to me when I purchased my Dodge Ram Hemi. He did it again when I bought Lorna's Envoy.

This could be an expensive "big boy's toy". I will probably need to trade the Vette, and that's in storage. He hasn't seen it yet so I can't be sure what he will give me for it. I know it would be better to sell the Vette outright, but I can't expect him to hold the Crossfire until I do. This car has put a smile on my face. The right price would put a bigger smile on my face. I have set a limit on what I will spend for a replacement for the Vette, and I will try not to exceed that amount unless I have a very weak moment.

I keep telling myself that this is the first Crossfire I've driven. There can be others to try and maybe I may like one of them better. Everything will come down to the bottom line, the price I'll have to pay to keep smiling. Love that yellow! Love that 6-speed! Love the car! Now the wheelin' and dealin' will begin. I'll keep you guys informed of what happens from here.

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82582 02/09/08 06:55 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I decided to keep the Crossfire for the weekend. I'll probably bring it back Monday evening after work. It's snowing here so I think the wise thing to do is leave the "XFire" in the driveway and drive Lorna's Envoy tonight. It looks like a great night to stop by the local Mexican Restaurant for a couple of Margaritas and a fajita burrito. Yum!!!

smile Bob smile

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82583 02/12/08 08:04 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Well the Crossfire is still in my driveway. Does that tell you anything?

I spoke with the guy who does most of the buying for my dealer. He's coming down to appraise my Corvette on Friday morning. I think this is pretty much a done deal at this point. I expect the Vette will be gone and my "NORTH" plate will be on the XFire next week.

It will be fun to have a roadster (convertible) in the family again. I had a couple of convertibles when I was younger, a 62 Chevy Impala and a 65 Chevy Impala. This Crossfire will be the best of the bunch with it's 6-speed manual transmission and all the options. It has plenty of power and a blast to drive. Most owners report 25-30 mpg on the highway, and 20-25 around town. Those figures can decrease rapidly if you start putting your right foot to the floor.

I can wait to get a warm day or two so I can drop the top!

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82584 02/12/08 11:41 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
Those figures can decrease rapidly if you start putting your right foot to the floor.

Better watch out Bob, you might get a speeding ticket. wink

Seriously, best of luck with your new toy. smile

Stan M
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82585 02/13/08 11:39 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Looks like a good investment Bob! Great looking car, low numbers, 1st year roadster, unusual color. low mileage - better get it in the garage. lol I'm envious! I haven't had a toy in quite awhile. 71 teal blue MGB roaster, 1st year camaro with ttop, 63 Comet Convertible when the auto world stopped making convertibles.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82586 02/15/08 06:49 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Well I did it! I bought the Crossfire. I still have it at home but will be bringing it to the dealer after work on Monday, and retrieve my pickup truck that's been there for over a week.

It was kind of funny that on Wednesday I got a call from the dealer inquiring if they were suppose to be doing something to my truck because it had been sitting there for a week. I told them, no, and that I took one of their cars and just never brought it back. I guess the owner didn't figure the service department would inquire so he never told them about it.

Needless to say, I'm excited! If you haven't already guessed, I'm a car nut. Things like buying a somewhat rare 6-speed yellow roadster makes me smile!

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82587 02/15/08 07:40 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Well, congratulations on your new addition to the family, Bob. I'm sure you will be anxiously waiting for the nice weather to get out and enjoy the roadster. Probably want your truck back with the crummy weather!

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82588 02/15/08 09:22 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Congratulations, Bob !!!

Best of luck with the Crossfire.

I can't wait till I can afford a new car. I hope to be looking at a Solstice by the end of the year.

Stan M
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82589 02/18/08 09:24 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Well I brought the Crossfire back to my dealer this afternoon, signed all the papers, and the vehicle will be registered some time tomorrow. I will be picking it up on Wednesday which is a day off for me.

I will driving my Vette up there on Wednesday and turning it in. Although I'll miss the Vette, it will be nice to have a very different automobile, especially a convertible.

There are a lot of Corvettes in my area but Crossfires are extremely rare. The color yellow makes it even rarer. I'm looking forward to dropping the top and enjoying this different style of car as soon as we get some decent weather. I can't wait to do a few lighthouse safaris with it.

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82590 02/18/08 09:46 PM
Roland Babineau Offline
Sounds like someone will be visiting our neck of the woods on the Cape soon. I'll be looking for that yellow streak heading down Rte 6A!!!

Roland Babineau, Editor
Lighthouse Encyclopedia
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/lighthouse_encyclopedia
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82591 02/18/08 11:35 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sounds great! I'm glad that you were able to find the exact car you wanted. You should be happy for a long time with the Crossfire. And who knows, it may end up be the next "whodathunk?" rarity.

Now it's time for the time-honoured convertible tradition -- leaving the top open in the rain. laugh

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82592 02/20/08 07:17 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I was up at 0300 hours this morning. I'm excited about picking up the new buggy which is now officially registered in my name.

It will be my last ride in the Vette this morning. It is no longer registered to me but it is sitting in my driveway. I have a dealer plate on it for transportation purposes. I had a lot of fun with the Vette but it's time to move on. It will really be fun to have a roadster for a change.

I will be patiently waiting for some nice weather so I can go on a photo safari or two.

smile Bob smile

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82593 02/20/08 10:32 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
I was up at 0300 hours this morning. I'm excited about picking up the new buggy
I will be patiently waiting for some nice weather so I can go on a photo safari or two.

smile Bob smile
I guess a 418 post.
No top down this morning at 24 degrees. I hope you don't jinx an early spring???? You know like buying a new snow plow. lol
Have fun! We'll all be anticipating your 1st topless drive! vhappy
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82594 02/20/08 05:28 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It's official! We now have a Crossfire in our family! What a fun car this is! How do you think it looks with the roof down? It's so easy to put the roof down. Needless to say, I am very pleased!

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82595 02/20/08 06:44 PM
Wacko
Wacko
Bob--Sharp and sporty looking convertible! I've never had a convertible YET, just sunroofs. In fact, I just got my first pickup ever a couple of years ago. This is my newest vehicle, a F-150 '97 4x4 which is SO impressive in the snow!!!

In addition to my love of older cars, I like special license plates too. Some I currently have are "MAX","MIDL IS" and "88 XR-7". Curious as to the story behind your "NORTH" plate??

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82596 02/20/08 07:12 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Curious as to the story behind your "NORTH" plate??
Once upon a time there was a rather scrapping Irish "Yute" (youth) named Bob who lived his whole life in North Attleboro, Massachusetts. Bob attended North Attleboro Schools graduating from North High in 1964 (yes, I'm old!) Bob was involved in sports and other high school activities at NAHS better known as "NORTH".

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts in all its wisdom decided to offer vanity plates at inflated fees to raise more revenue for the Commonwealth. This happend in 1965 (finally received the plate in 1966). The RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles) took applications for vanity plates around the middle of that year. The form you had to fill out had spaces for 10 choices, if my memory serves me correctly. My first choice was IRISH (note loud rejection buzzer) but that didn't happen. I think my next choice was USA-1, then USA-2, then USA-3, then USA-4, then USA-5 (You old Chevy fans will recognize the fact that GM used to have USA-1 as a promotional plate on their new cars. I can almost hear Dinah Shore singing, "See the USA, in your Chevrolet...") Well all the USA-* plates got scooped before they got to my application, so I was awarded my seventh choice "NORTH". For the last 43+ years I've displayed that plate proudly on one of my vehicles. I still have the original green background/white letter plates I was given in 1966. You guys must remember painted plates before the reflective Scotchlite plates. I also have "R9M" on my Hemi Ram (The Big Unit), and "521" on Lorna's Envoy. I guess you can say I'm kind of a numbers guy. So as Paul Harvey would say, "Now you know the rest of the story, ...Good Day!"

smile Bob smile

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82597 02/20/08 11:43 PM
Wacko
Wacko
Great story "Paul"! Now for the "rest of the story" for us who can't figure out "9" and "521" you'll have to educate us. My Dad and I have had "MAX"(in sequence} since Michigan first started the personalized licence plate program "a long time ago".

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82598 02/21/08 10:03 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Now for the "rest of the story" for us who can't figure out "9" and "521" you'll have to educate us.
The 9 is actually "R9M", my initials with the number 9 in between. They refer to it as a 3-digit sandwich plate.

The number "521" is a rare three number plate and those types of plates are extremely hard to obtain. It also was the number of career home runs hit by old-time Red Sox Slugger, Ted Williams.

The "R9M" plate I got when I bought my new Hemi Ram three years ago. My stars were aligned with the moon and I was in the right place at the right time. The "521" plate I've had for around 15 years if my memory serves me correctly. The plate was a turn-in and once again I was in the right place at the right time. Of course these special plates come with higher fees which are usually about twice as much as a regular plate.

"Now you know the rest of the story...Good Day!" P.H.

keyboard Bob

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82599 02/21/08 04:45 PM
Wacko
Wacko
Would never had guessed the 521 in several lifetimes without a clue like "sports".Facinating stories behind your plates. My wife and I like to try and figure out special plates when traveling. I'll share your license plate stories with her tonight.

Noticed you graduated the same year I did from H.S. We're the first of the "baby boomers"! Any thoughts of early retirement and drawing your Social Security at 62 (before the gov't figures out how to deflate it)??

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82600 02/21/08 07:50 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
and give up his company car and those special work details at Foxboro?

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82601 02/21/08 08:51 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Any thoughts of early retirement and drawing your Social Security at 62 (before the gov't figures out how to deflate it)??
I could have retired and collected a state pension 15 years ago. I chose to keep on working which has made an extremely large difference in what I can collect when I do pull the plug. As far as SS is concerned, my benefits from previous employment has been cut to about 1/3 of what I could have collected if they didn't pass that law sticking it to people with state pensions from the baby boomer set.

I enjoy my work and I live only 5.5 miles from my barracks, I have a "company car", a company gas card, they dress me for free, and I have a ton of time off. God bless America!

Retirement? Maybe at the end of the year, time will tell.

cool Bob

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82602 02/22/08 10:37 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob...I hope you start to get some nice weather to take the top down and enjoy driving your new car. cheers

John got me my first personalized license plate that has "LOR" on it...it's short for my name but is also my initials.

A few years ago, John built a home for the Utah Jazz player Andrei Kirilenko. His jersey number is 47. His personalized license plate is "AK47". smile

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82603 02/22/08 03:27 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Now you got my juices flowing, so I googled Crossfire and look what I found - 2008 Crossfire

PS none of my 12 local dealers actually has one!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82604 02/22/08 04:53 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Now you got my juices flowing, so I googled Crossfire and look what I found - 2008 Crossfire

PS none of my 12 local dealers actually has one!

2008 Crossfires are not available, but if you want to order one there's a dealer in Texas that is getting a bunch of them next month. Allegedly, there were 1200 left in Germany when Daimler and Chrysler split, so they are being shipped to the USA and sold as 2008's.

From what I can determine, all Crossfires look the same from year to year. The only difference is what model you purchase, i.e. Coupe, Roadster, SRT's (supercharged 330hp model) and the limited models. In other words, a 2004 will look just like a 2008.

keyboard Bob

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82605 02/28/08 11:20 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I actually saw another Crossfire yesterday. It was parked at Mystic Pizza near Ledyard, CT. That's the second one I've seen in the last year or so. There just isn't many of these cars in my neck of the woods.

smile Bob

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82606 02/28/08 01:59 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Seems you have joined a rather exclusive club, Bob. We see more around here, but we also have 4 Chrysler plants in town...

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82607 02/29/08 02:08 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
seen a bright red one here a couple of days ago. It had 2007 number plates and I got quite envious!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82608 03/03/08 08:41 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Can you name this lighthouse in the background? It was my XFire's first journey to a light.

Sorry, no prize for naming the light but you will have bragging rights for being the first to name it.

cool Bob

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82609 03/03/08 08:44 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
That last one was pretty easy. Here's one you are going to have to strain your eyes to identify it. Who's first?

Congrats to the first person that can make it out!

cool Bob

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82610 03/03/08 09:21 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob M,

I firmly believe that you were more interested in talking a picture of your beautiful automobile than that of the lighthouse that I can hardly see. vhappy

bobo

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82611 03/03/08 09:21 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
First one...Conimicut?

And...Dutch Island, from Conanicut Island? Not sure there.

BTW, saw a powdery blue convertible this morning on my way to school. I definitely double-took. They really are sharp cars...

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82612 03/03/08 09:23 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
What lighthouse? I can't take my eyes off the Crossfire!

Sharp! Bob. Enjoy, enjoy.

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82613 03/03/08 10:40 PM
Roland Babineau Offline
Through that bright yellow glare coming off the Crossfire I'd say that second one may be Rose Island.
Greg's right on the first one, Conimicut.

Roland Babineau, Editor
Lighthouse Encyclopedia
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82614 03/03/08 11:24 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The first light is Conimicut. No one has correctly identified the second one yet.

Thanks for the nice words about my new car. It is a real sweetheart to say the least. I'm looking forward to many fun miles with this beauty.

smile Bob

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82615 03/03/08 11:30 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Aah! Pomham Rocks?

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82616 03/03/08 11:49 PM
Roland Babineau Offline
I believe you got 'em both Greg! cheers

Roland Babineau, Editor
Lighthouse Encyclopedia
Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82617 03/04/08 01:07 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
No snow for your first lighthouse trip in the Crossfire, Bob, but why did you leave the top up????

Re: Chrysler Crossfire... #82618 03/04/08 08:52 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Aah! Pomham Rocks?
Greg is correct! It's amazing what young eyes can spot in the distance.

The photo was taken from the property of "Save The Bay" right on the Providence River. I had never driven down there before so I thought I would check it out. A quick short cut through the campus of Johnson & Wales University and I was there.

Dave, it was 22 degrees when I got out of bed yesterday, and although the temp did warm up to the mid 40's there was a definite chill in the air with a brisk breeze. With all the dust and dirt particles flying through the air, it wasn't a drop-top kind of day. Hopefully, it won't be much longer!

smile Bob

Moderated by  Bob Ott 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 651 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users