Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80938 06/22/08 07:59 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Ladies & Gentleman, ...it has happend. My post clock has rolled from four numbers to five numbers. It has been a long time coming and it is a sign of things changing in my life.

As in past significant post number changes, I usually place a dedication to mark the event. I saw the 10000 coming and once again immediately thought of our friend, Fred Kulman. Although Fred is no longer with us, I think of him most everytime I open up www.lighthousekeepers.com.

Some of our present forum members have never had the priviledge of meeting Fred but those who did will always remember him as a somewhat quiet, soft spoken but extremely friendly man. Lets face it, in reality Fred was a character and I mean that in a good way.

Life threw Fred a few curve balls in his later years, but he didn't let it stop him from doing what he wanted to do. He was truly an amazing man that I will always remember. To me, Fred was every much a part of Harbour Lights as the Younger Family. Rest in peace, old Buddy! Your memory lives on in my mind.

Up above I spoke of changes in my life. As a result of an aggravating injury, I have decided to retire from the job I held for the last 35 years and four months. It was a rather tough decision to make, but it was time. Now I know the meaning of, "You'll know when it's time to go". The time has come and I will be officially retired as of June 30, 2008.

Part of my incentive to finally pull the plug was not the dreams of never having to go to work and having all those leisure hours to do just whatever I feel like doing, but rather a job offer that I couldn't refuse. Lorna and I talked it over for quite some time and felt it was the right thing to do. Needless to say, I've been working at my new job for one day a week for the last six weeks, and I'm very optimistic about my future in the private sector. The people I'm working for couldn't be any nicer. I feel extremely fortunate to be in their employ.

Other things have changed in my life too, namely collecting Harbour Lights. Oh yes, I still have a cellar full of them, and my curios proudly display them. Actually, I think the quality and workmanship gets better all the time. I will purchase future HL's, but only those I like.

As you know, I was a long time auto ship customer who purchased one of every new LE, AB, Lens, etc. I was one of those customers retailers dreamed of. I bought everything no questions asked. All the retailer had to do was get the product in and ship it out to me. Lets face it, that was a 100% return on their money with each and every new release. But, my dealer started to ship later and later. He even called me when he learned I was unhappy and all but promised to take corrective action. You know what? That never happend so I dropped the auto ship.

I no longer buy one of every new release. As a matter of fact, I haven't purchased a new Harbour Lights product in 2008 other than the Wisconsin Point Collector Forums Exclusives. I bought two of those because I could see the hand writing on the wall. These will be worth more than I paid for them. That doesn't happen very often. If you haven't purchased yours yet, I would highly recommend it.

Another thing happend that dimmed my collecting "flame". I purchased a considerable amount of the Founder's Collection with dreams of getting like-new lightning rod and in some cases, green water pieces, and perhaps a California or Canadian piece. Yes, I did get brand new single-digit pieces and all were "mint in the box", but that's what they were and nothing more. No lightning rods, no water color variations, no California or Canadian pieces arrived at my house. Prior to my Founder's Collection order being filled, I received a phone call from Harbour Lights asking what my ultimate first choice was. That didn't take much thought. I told them it was HL 128, Southeast Light. I was advised by the caller that wouldn't be a problem. I was pumped! I was extremely excited! Southeast Light was the first HL I ever purchased. I bought it at Shelia's on Block Island. It was the beginning of my collecting years and I even took it to the max by "getting them all". Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed in the fact that Southeast Light didn't arrive at my home as I was led to believe that it would. I felt mislead. That, my friends, changed my collecting habits forever. I went from being a prime customer to just another person buying a piece every now and then if it makes me smile. Now I'll just sit back and purchase a New England piece or two whenever.

Giving up auto ship #23 on all LE's and #15 on AB's was tough to do but cutting the cord seems easier now. There are some advantages. I don't have to worry about where I'm going to put all those new HL's (storage area is filled). I sure can use the money saved to pay for more important things as our economy worsens each and every day.

My collecting "flame" has been reduced from a torch that could light a harbor, to the size of a pilot light on a gas stove, but it still burns and may some day once again light the harbor.

Bob

Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80939 06/22/08 08:06 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob
I doubt anyone else is up yet.
So from one early bird to another congratulations on your 10,000 posts.

Also congratulations on your retirement and new job.

Bob
I know that it was hard to quit your auto shipment with such a low number but you did the right thing. I quit mine in 2002 or should I say my dealer quit it for me. Looking back at it, it was the best thing my dealer did for me. It just doesn’t make sense anymore to have them all. Just too overwhelming. I found to have more fun collecting by figuring out which lighthouses I want to buy for this year and decide by looks and area, which would be the best. It’s also a challenge to get them in low numbers.

But back to you Bob. I remember when you first started to post, asking all the question as a newbie would ask. You must have been the Forums first newbie, because, all I can remember was Bob with another question. But look at you now, one of our foremost Harbour Lights experts. You have become such an asset to these forums Bob, that if I or someone else states something and you agree I then believe it must be right.

JC started this forum but you made it where it is today by making it interesting and always giving us exciting and interesting topics to talk about. I feel that you are the singlely best asset this forum has. I always enjoy your comments and they are not just comments but paragraphs of well thought out and interesting writings.

About the founders collection. I feel bad that I didn’t give everyone a heads up on them not being the first made. I didn’t know for sure but I was tracking a few single digit Southern bells and I noticed that they were not Canadian made. I had my suspicions but was not positive. I agree with you about the number 128. You should have gotten it. All your years of posting and being HL’s best customer you should have been given the VIP treatment and put on top of the list. Maybe someone on this forum that has one could trade with you.

DANIEL
Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80940 06/22/08 10:12 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Congratulations St. Bob!

I'm proud to have called you friend now for about 11 years - It will be hard to not think of you as "Trooper Bob" - one of Massachusetts' finest.

I hope in your new career (I bet it's related to law enforcement) you'll be happy and have more time to enjoy Lorna, your two pups and your new Crossfire!

Welcome to the rarified level of 10,000+ postings. We'll all be looking for those happy faces in future posts.

Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80941 06/22/08 10:30 AM
catzb1 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Congratulations Bob!

Best of luck on your new career. Over the years you have been a helpful source of HL info. Thanks!

Cathy

Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80942 06/22/08 12:04 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Congratulations on both of your achievements, 10000 posts and retirement. I know you'll keep up your postings so we will be able to keep in touch and as far as retirement, when your job is either not fun any more or physical problems keep you from enjoying the rewards of your job, it's time to pull the plug. I retired from the CG when I was to receive a set of orders to a place that my family and I did not want to live for 4 years and from my job in Ocala because the pressure to multitask many duties was just too much pressure after I turned 62. I stayed away from this company for about a year and a half and am now back working for them as a Contractor doing a Technical Support function for them, but, leaving after 9 hrs a day with NO PRESSURE applied whatsoever. I'm really enjoying myself in my 3rd carreer and I know that you will in your 2nd carreer.

I'm also at a point in my HL collecting that will probably have me giving up my autoship in the next year or so because of space. I am the type of person that MUST display all my pieces or else. Well, the "or else" is fast approaching with curio space and it's either another curio or give up the autoship and buy an occasional piece. I also collect Florida Gator and Cleveland Browns sports memorabillia(Autographed Helmets, Footballs and Basketballs) so I would have to give that up and store those pieces to fit anther curion cabinet in my collecting room. That ain't gonna happen so the autoship will have to go. I was also very disappointed in the Founder's collection even thought I got my 1st choice(Minot's Ledge) and 2 newer Florida pieces. I didn't expect the Florida pieces to be standout except for the numbers, but, I expected a Canadian version of Minot's Ledge. It was a common Malaysian version and boy was it disappointing. Fortunately, Daniel being the good friend that he is, traded me his extra Canadian for my Malaysian as he need this particular Malaysian piece. I still love HL products and will support them to the fullest and will support the Forums and all the friends I have made here. I just wish that I could attend all the functions(Regionals, Reunions, etc.) but with Amy's physical back problems that is an impossibility. She is my #1 priority in life and what is best for her is what is best for me.

Enjoy retirement and your new job my friend and I'll look forward to your 10001 and up posts.

Rich
Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80943 06/22/08 01:06 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob cheers

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80944 06/22/08 08:28 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thank you for the good wishes. This special place on the Internet is important to me, and so are the people who faithfully support it.

Before John formed this site, we use to converse at the old AOL Board in the mid to late 90's. I wonder how many active people remember the weekly, and sometimes bi-weekly, chat rooms. Fred was a big supporter and would remind you of an upcoming chat. John was the first one to remind you the chat room was open if he caught you on-line and you weren't signed in at the chat. John was designated as "Saint John" for a reason. He was the one who started everything and held it all together. Many great people have come and gone, but John hung in there for the long run. I couldn't even think about how many hours John worked for free on behalf of HL Collectors world-wide.

Then came Dave. Dave is our knight is shining armor. When John needed someone to help with the hectic pace of keeping things going, Dave stepped up to the plate. People are always willing to help but not at the level Dave does. Like John, Dave should be considered a real Saint. The rest of us who enjoy the alleged "Saint" status are just rookies compared to the dynamic duo of John and Dave. They are the cream of the crop when it comes to doing things to promote the collecting of the greatest lighthouse minatures in the world.

Like many of you, I'm still hoping that the down fall of the collectible industry will turn around some day. It seems it has suffered ever since 9/11/01. Now, even more, in the terrible state of our economy that our fellow collectors are suffering through.

I hated to see the Youngers go, but I can't blame them for wanting to try to enjoy their "golden years". They were keeping a hectic pace for people their age. I thank them for bringing us all together with a mutual interest that will live on for years to come.

The new Harbour Lights people are sincerely trying to keep things going, and they deserve a lot of credit for keeping the line afloat. In my humble opinion, they are doing the right things. They are definitely trying their best in what could be described as the worst of times for collectibles. I do hope they awaken each morning and say, "God bless Harry Hines!" Harbour Light replicas have never been better, but marketing and customer relations may need a little work. They are working the group as a whole very well but need a little more individualized attention in some areas.

I've been involved here since the forum's beginning of time. I've seen alot of the faithful fall by the wayside but like many other die hards, I'm still here. I may babble a little but my purpose is an attempt to keep things going when many computer key boards are still gathering dust. Nothing is worse than visiting a site and not finding new posts. New posts and replies are what everyone comes here for. Some are informative while others are just a form of keeping things going. Whatever they are, it's what keeps things going.

Fred, if you're watching, reading, or listening, we're trying to do our best knowing that it would make you smile and be proud of us!

smile Bob smile

Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80945 06/22/08 08:30 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Congrats Bob! smile

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80946 06/22/08 09:51 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I never thought I'd see the day! Congratulations on your retirement Bob and the 10000th post.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80947 06/23/08 01:24 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Congratulations on #10,000 and on your retirement, Bob. Going to be a bummer having to give up the company car. Now you will have to decide each morning "which vehicle do I take? The hot rod of the truck?" Betting that more often than not it will be the Crossfire!

Wishing you the very best in your new adventure.

And, thanks for the very generous compliment. It really is an honor to be named in the same post as Fred. It takes a lot of folks to keep the forums going and evolving, and with 10,000 posts I think you qualify as a major contributor to the effort.

Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80948 06/23/08 01:28 AM
Hal Dean Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Congrats on your retirement and your 10000 post. You in my book are a pioneer in this hobby and have enjoyed your posts that you have made and hope you will continue to do so. I retired in Nov. 1994 from Montgomery County Goverment in Maryland and worked for 9 years at NASA part time in Greenbelt Md after I retired. I gave it up when we moved to Delaware in 2003.
I agree with your kind words about Fred K. Also about John C and Dave H. They have done a great job to keep this hobby going and don't forget Paul Brady who also has done a great job. You mentioned the chats that we used to have at least once a week I sure do miss them. I am running out of room also and have not bought much in the past 2 years and am looking forward to see Bill at a signing at Savage Md in Sept.
Bob enjoy your retirement as much as I have and looking forward to your posts in the future.
Take Care Hal

Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80949 06/23/08 03:05 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Congrats Bob!
I'm feel lucky to share your friendship, and a few other things that you mentioned including being a 'lesser saint.'(Tony should love that one)Good luck in your new job! So you're not really retiring. You're going to miss those football Sundays unless that's your new job then I'll consider you retired and look forward to you having a SB ring.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80950 06/24/08 01:13 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Gee, that was my first thought too! (Is he going to have to pay to see the Pats games now instead of getting paid to see them???) wink

Some time ago I decided to curtail my posts so Bob could pass me, lol! laugh

Seriously, congratulations Bob on all counts and best wishes! smile

Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80951 07/01/08 01:40 AM
Middle I-land MI Max Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Sending my wishes for a great retirement on this your official date of June 30th!! Hope you are able to get your physical problems resolved so they don't interfere too much with retirement activities.

Haven't heard what your your new career is but sounds like you're liking it already.

And 10,010+ posts! What an exclusive club--you and others in it must have added a wealth of information and interest and help to the CF over the years. Thanks for the commitment to sharing to such an unbelievable extent.

Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80952 07/04/08 01:09 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob hasn't posted in a few days. He must be busy with all those retirement party's. towel

cheers Congrats !!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80953 07/06/08 06:13 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Bob hasn't posted in a few days. He must be busy with all those retirement party's.
I've been at Block Island on vacation. Lorna & I were there with my two furry sons, and my oldest son came out with my daughter-in-law and two of my grandsons on their boat. We plan our summer vacations together and have a blast. It's great to have the family along!

No, I won't be working with the Patriots anymore. My new title is "Senior Field Project Manager" for a construction company that provides a statewide service repairing and replacing roadway damage. We service cities, towns, and the state. Basically, anything that is damaged by a vehicle we fix or replace and bill the insurance companies. My job is to do the investigations as to who is responsible, visit the sites, take pictures, measurements, list what needs to be done, list the stock they will need, get approval from whoever is in charge of that area, and submit my findings to my office for bid purposes. If it's on town or state property we fix or replace it even if it means replacing antique light posts, ornamental railings or fences, and century old headstones. I find it fascinating that we can reproduce such things. Our primary function relates to guard rail, fencing, signs, gouges in the pavement, landscaping (trees, bushes, turf, etc.) curbing, rock walls, fire hydrants, traffic signals,etc. Like I said above, if you can damage it with a vehicle, we can fix or replace it.

I have a flexible schedule and can pick and choose the hours I work, as long as the work gets done. I also have a company vehicle and gas card which is so important these days. I can't say enough about the people I'm working for. They are absolutely some of the nicest people I ever met. I feel fortunate to be in their employ.

smile Bob

Re: Post 10000, another milestone, and more... #80954 07/06/08 06:58 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Congratulations to you, Bob, on your retirement, new job and Saint status. You are one of the experts that add so much to the Forums. Enjoy the new chapter in your life.

Judy

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users