Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What are the reasons? #80674 12/03/08 10:34 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
By my latest poll on what we would like to see (or not see) by Harbour Lights over the next year or so the "original 17 look" and the "blue and green water" issue seem to be unpolular. I am curious what the reasons are that you would not like to see one or two of these issued in the future. While the "original 17 look" would be present, the technology for detail that has developed over the years would also make it a very detailed issue. Likewise with the "blue and green water" issue, you would not be forced to buy both as the green water version would be a very limited edition like the white hull Mackinaw was. Again, I'm very curious as to the reason for these not being accepted. When was the last time we really had a good discussion in the Fog Signal Building about lighthouses. I really can't remember. Waiting to hear from you.

Rich
Re: What are the reasons? #80675 12/03/08 11:41 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
First off, why are we talking about HL's in the this section and we talk about changing the clocks back and Hurricane Ike in the Harbour Lights General Forum? Should it be the other way around?

As for the poll:
I am ok with a blue and green water version of a lighthouse. Doesn't seem to hard for a painter to switch colors halfway through the production.

I don't like the idea of making any of the new ones look like the original 17. I just don't like how they look. The best thing about HL's is the detail. Why make them look worse then Leftons and Scassis products.

The removable lightning rod is an ok idea, as long as it doesn't cost too much to do.

Smaller production amounts 500 or even 1000 should be done more often. I know it would cost more, but it would be worth it.

I know I added alot of pros to the QVC idea, but after giving it more thought I wouldn't do it. Magazine ads and direct mailings is the way to go.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: What are the reasons? #80676 12/03/08 09:06 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Loon - This is the Forum to use when you have a subject that may be controversal. Read the discription of the Fog Signal Building (Or Right Field) Chew the fat, Debate or just sound Off)! You have not been around long enough to really see a controversal subject draw 40-50 responces in this Forum. The time changes, hurricane information, etc post would fit better in the Nothing to do with Anything Forum (Totally unrelated to Harbour Lights or Lighthouses - But in good taste) rather then the General Forum. But, who cares, where someone posts as long as they post. This subject may not be that controversal but I figured I would post it in this Forum.

Rich
Re: What are the reasons? #80677 12/03/08 09:53 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I think I may have suggested a green water piece with a lightning rod many moons ago. It would have been a "retro HL". I think it would have sold. I may have even brought that subject up again when we were first starting to think about our first CF Exclusive.

smile Bob

Re: What are the reasons? #80678 12/04/08 12:54 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
"I'm very curious as to the reason for these not being accepted."

Rich, I think it's as simple as personal preference. With the number of folks wandering through here we are bound to have some who like this and some who like that. It may not be a matter of not being accepted, but of "that's not my favorite thing in HL's". Many of those of us who predate these forums like the older HL's because they are part of our history. Those who joined us later may like the newer crisper HL's because that's what they started with. Like the old saying says, "whatever floats your boat!".

Re: What are the reasons? #80679 12/04/08 01:14 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
JJ - Very interesting thoughts that you brought up about how the newer members like the newer models and the older members like the older HL's. It may stem to the fact that many of the popular older models are more expensive then the newer models and with today's economy you can buy 3-4 for the price of one. I will be the first to admit that current production models are bright articulate perfect models. The older models are dull drab imperfect models. However, when you visit a lighthouse the majority of the time the lighthouse is in need of painting, rust is everywhere there is metal and the actual buildings and tower are not picture perfect. I think that's why I relate to the older models rather then the current production pristine reproductions. As you said, "whatever floats your boat."

Rich
Re: What are the reasons? #80680 12/07/08 11:55 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Blue water? Green water? One of the things that draws us to HL LEs is the accuracy with which the replica is depicted. As opposed to some of the other lighthouse lines.

In this case, my vote would be for 'accurate water'. For instance, the H2O along the Jersey shore is much different looking than the H2O of the Gulf coast.

As for the look of the original 17, well, again, waht sets HLs apart from other lines are the detail and the execution of those details in the replicas. The original 17 didn't have that, and if the line had not matured, had not stretched the bounds of what was possible in a lighthouse replica (see Thomas Point for instance) I don't think HLs would have had the run of success that it did.

So, my vote for this proposal would be 'nay' as well.

Rick

Re: What are the reasons? #80681 12/08/08 12:03 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
As for the look of the original 17, well, again, waht sets HLs apart from other lines are the detail and the execution of those details in the replicas. The original 17 didn't have that, and if the line had not matured, had not stretched the bounds of what was possible in a lighthouse replica (see Thomas Point for instance) I don't think HLs would have had the run of success that it did.
This certainly follows my way of thinking. My HL collection began in '93 with the purchase of 135 Ocracoke. My purchase was because I had discovered the realistic details...that no other lighthouse line was ever able to come close to. At that point in time, I gave away all the Lefton's, etc.

I've never owned more than a few of the original 17, and have never had a desire to do so. I do understand the value of a complete collection, but I've never had the funds for that, nor the space to display that many. If having a complete collection meant I would need to store many away out of sight, I wouldn't want them.

Because of the realistic details in the later pieces, we also have seen the true to life rust & deterioration in many of them. What an artist Harry is! I wouldn't care to see a return of the original look.

Now I'm slowly introducing (still unpacking) my HL collection to the new collector in my household, and have just brought out all the Christmas pieces to display much to his delight. Since we both have visited most of these, the realistic details are much enjoyed, as well as the added Christmas effects that are not necessarily true to form. For instance, John Gaskill has said that there were never wreaths on the porches of the dwelling at Bodie, but I sure do like the Christmas piece anyway.

Judy

Judy
Re: What are the reasons? #80682 12/08/08 12:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". I'm not sure who to attribute this quote; I think it was Hugh Heffner, but this seems to be the crux of the topic's response. I started in '93 and saw Harbour Lights evolve from the lopsided doors and windows and muted colors to metal towers with vibrant colors with picnic blankets and colorful shrubs. Personally, I think St. Georges Reef was Harbour Lights first masterpiece. Others will argue for their choice. HL's only got better from their on. Keep doing what you do best. As far as "obscure" lighthouses, I thought Gone But Not Forgotten is the best Series introduced and look forward to an introduction each year. America's Castles-Long May They Stand.

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,148 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users