Print Thread
The Series - Are they over? #80659 04/20/01 03:06 PM
R
RMau Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
R
While I was working on the latest R@R update last night I began to wonder about all of the 'series' releases and what the future holds for them. You know, 'The Lady Lightkeepers', 'The Hudson River', 'Bill's Signature Series', 'Gone But Not Forgotten', and 'The Chesapeake Series'.

If these are indeed series, what's the speculation among us on their future? Will there be more editions for them? Are there more candidate lights? I think so, but there doesn't seem to be any demand for them in terms of extending any of these sub-category collection possibilities.

In particular, I think Cape Henlopen is getting mighty lonely in the 'Gone But Not Forgotten' haze. And that's a shame because there are many other deserving lights of yesteryear that could be attractive additions to this series. See the Lefton collection for examples.

Whaddaya think? Is HLs going to add to these series? How should they add pieces? One per year? More? Can't do less I suppose. Or will they just fade away because there hasn't been enough buzz over them among the HL collector fraternity?

Food for thought.

Rick

Re: The Series - Are they over? #80660 04/20/01 03:17 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
And what about the Spyglass Series? Seems we're LONG overdue for a Great Lakes set...I only hope the LLOM's haven't relegated the much-more desirable (IMO) spyglasses to the retirement home.

Re: The Series - Are they over? #80661 04/20/01 05:42 PM
Q
QC Offline
Q
Good topic Rick. I like the series idea. It allows me to collect a complete series. I don't think I will ever have a complete set of HL LE's and the series thing fills that collectors urge to have all of something.

George

George
Re: The Series - Are they over? #80662 04/20/01 06:05 PM
Torchbearer Offline
I think it's a good idea Rick. My wife (who is from NC and is still fighting the war) has made a suggestion regarding a title for a new series. She says and I quote, "To go with the Southern Belle Series, how about a Yankee Aggression Series?" Though she was kidding (I hope), being the Yankee that I am, I explained to her that I didn't think it would work. None-the-less, it would be fun collecting another series.

I think releasing no more than 2 per year would be ideal. Helps on the wallet just a bit!

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

[This message has been edited by Torchbearer (edited 04-20-2001).]

Re: The Series - Are they over? #80663 04/20/01 09:25 PM
R
RMau Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
R
When I started collecting Harbour Lights, I was convinced that I had a chance to have a complete collection. I didn't know about Coquille at the time!

Over time it became apparent that having a complete collection was a serious committment. In time, dollars and space. So over the past couple of years, like George says above, I've narrowed the focus of my collecting to a couple of sub-sets of limited editions.

I think the 'Series' editions are a good way for collectors to have a 'complete' collection. But there doesn't seem to be much follow thru from HLs after they introduce the series. There certainly isn't a lot of information about them and their future releases.

As Tim notes above, two per year might work. But there would have to be some discussion and anticipation among the collectors. And for that happen, HLs has to do a better job of publicity about their plans. Imagine the discussion on the Forum if we all knew that the next edition in the Lady Lightkeepers series was going to hit the streets in the second half of 2001. What light could it be?

Rick

Re: The Series - Are they over? #80664 04/20/01 11:05 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Quote:
"To go with the Southern Belle Series, how about a Yankee Aggression Series?"

The War of Northern Agression? Well fiddle-dee-dee Mizz Scarlet, I do declare. And carpetbaggers? Don't you worry your pretty little head bout no Yankee Lighthouses.

Rgds,
Ashely

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 05-02-2002).]

Re: The Series - Are they over? #80665 04/21/01 12:17 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Lawdy Masta, how'd you do dat? You be scarrin' me!

The Hudson River series has a couple left, Kingston-Rondout and Stony Point. And the Hudson also has some neat candidates for the the Gone But Not Forgotten group.
http://hometown.aol.com/thelightkeeper/HudsonRiverLightkeepers.html

Re: The Series - Are they over? #80666 04/21/01 01:50 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Somewhere along the line it has been suggested to me that another Gone But Not Forgotten light will be out this year. I believe it will be in the northeast, so let the guessing begin.

I do agree with you, Rick, that speculation is a lot of the fun of the collecting. From within our ranks of connected & wacko collectors, we seem to come up with little bits and pieces of info that we share. I wonder if HL is concerned about releasing too much of an official hint until they know the light will be produced, and can be produced to their quality standards (don't want another Pharos flop).

I also agree that the series concept does give many of us the opportunity to own some complete sub-set of the line with a common thread. One new series that we know is expanding is the Fresnel Lens Series. What other sets might we come up with (other than Mrs. Tim's line of northern aggression)?

Dave

Re: The Series - Are they over? #80667 04/21/01 02:17 AM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
Keep the series concept alive for all the reasons stated above and most of all for those of us that can not have them all. I do like the fun of adding to and or completing a series in our collection

Lonnie
Re: The Series - Are they over? #80668 04/21/01 08:15 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I would like to see each series continue to grow though as time seems to have shown us it doesn't look good. If they grow let's hope they may add one to one or two series per year. Not all at once.

Here's another question to add to the discussion. Did anybody start collecting Harbour Lights because of their interest in a particular series? Up until last summer (2000) I would still run into full "Stamp Sets" selling for retail or below.

Re: The Series - Are they over? #80669 04/23/01 10:51 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Now I just thought I was going crazy! "THe theme from Gone with the Wind" and NY Channel 9s Million Dollar Movie"
Frankly my dear....

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: The Series - Are they over? #80670 04/23/01 11:28 AM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
Great audio but when it first came on it blasted out.What a surprise,scared the hexx out of me.I thought my computer was going to explode,but when I realized what it was I sat back and enjoyed it.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: The Series - Are they over? #80671 04/23/01 02:31 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
How DID you do that!!?
I love surprises....
Thanks Tim, for making my day....Gone With the Wind is my favorite. You just NEVER know who you please on any given day!

Re: The Series - Are they over? #80672 04/23/01 11:03 PM
DeDo Offline
Wow, jumped out of my seat! Thought my 15 year had something set up with his media player. Yes Bob, the channel 9 movie for all us 'older' New Yorkers.

Back to original topic, I, for one would look forward to the Gone but not Forgotten Theme. They would be high on my list to own.

Donna

Re: The Series - Are they over? #80673 05/14/01 03:12 AM
I
Iris1 Offline
I
I vote most definitely for more in the series of "Gone but not Forgotten" and in the "Then & Now" series.

These two series really peaked an interest in HL lighthouses in myself and as I can never hope to complete the LE's, the subsets are a great way to have that "completist" feeling!

Iris

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,315 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users